Book recommendations that offer insight into charismatic expressions of faith

697 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by nosoupforyou
dan87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hi yall,

I'm looking for some book/article/podcast/discussion/other avenue recommendations to learn more about charismatic theology/expressions of faith. For context of why I'm asking and to possibly help steer the recommendations:

My wife grew up in a family whose expression of faith is more charismatic (Assemblies of God, non-denom, "speaking authority over ____ ", "In the name of Jesus...", speaking in tongues, prophetic words, etc.), continued in this expression of faith through undergrad, but in grad school her personal faith started to shift away from charismatic toward "something different" where she is considering other also valid expressions but in conjunction and at times in tension with the charismatic foundation she experienced.

I, on the other hand, have little to no experience and exposure or theological direction in the more charismatic sides of faith. I grew up with a father who was a Catholic, mother who is a Methodist/Baptist. My 3 siblings are agnostic at best. I was confirmed in the Methodist church in 6th grade, occasionally went to a Baptist youth ministry in middle school, and I went to a Church of Christ high school and was baptized in the CoC (yes, I understand that makes my baptism invalid to some ). I also felt a call to ministry at this time. At A&M I think I went to church 5 times total. I started to attend a baptist church after graduating, ended up going to Truett Seminary in 2012, graduated with an m.div 4 years ago and have been working at a Baptist church as a youth minister since.

All I know about charismatic expressions of faith is that I don't know much. No clue where to look, who to read, who to listen to, who to listen to with a grain of salt. Just wanting to learn more about this perspective/theology in hopes for personal exploration and to understand my wife's perspective better. Any direction would be appreciated and let me know if I can clarify anything to help.

Books on my desk right now:
Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry
The Return of the Prodigal Son by Henri Nouwen
The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis
Church Dogmatics vol. 3.3 The Doctrine of Creation by Karl Barth
When War Is Unjust by John Howard Yoder
The Road by Cromac McCarthy
The Spirit of Life by Jurgen Moltmann

Dan
dermdoc
AG
Surprised by the Power of the Spirit by Jack Deere
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ExtremeRush
AG
I agree with John Piper and DesiringGod a lot because of how biblically based their resources are. There are some good videos out there where Piper talks about this stuff.

Here are some good articles I read recently on the topic:

https://www.desiringgod.org/articles/confessions-of-a-functional-cessationist
https://www.desiringgod.org/articles/are-you-open-to-spiritual-gifts
UTExan
You might also look at John Wesley and his experience with the "second blessing" at Fetter Lane . Francis MacNutt was an early leader in the Catholic Charismatic movement so he has a unique perspective. And Vinson Synan has been a historian of the Pentecostal/Charismatic movement from the time of the Azusa street revival. There is also book called Deeper Experiences of Famous Christians by J Gilchrist Lawson which spans the centuries and covers a variety of traditions.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
dan87
AG
Thanks y'all! I appreciate the suggestions and I look forward to learning something new!
ExtremeRush
AG
dan87 said:

Thanks y'all! I appreciate the suggestions and I look forward to learning something new!

Yeah man! I think you will learn some good stuff... especially because you seem to be approaching the topic with humility and the desire to learn. Godspeed!
nosoupforyou
AG
I also appreciate your humility and asking this type of question and see what kind of resources are out there

I think you would do well to understand the John piper type of charismatic versus the new apostolic reformation type of charismatic..

NAR is a very bad form of charismatic theology that I would strongly suggest you steer clear of It's very popular and trendy these days so the more you know about those people Bethel church out of Redding California Bill Johnson Todd White, etc. the better you will be able to avoid heresy. Benny Hinn hangs with those guys.

Piper And Matt Chandler are solid reformed charismatic Preachers that steer clear of the crazy but they have a few items of concern.

The other side is reformed cessationist People like John MacArthur, Steve Lawson, who have a different perspective on the gifts.

You might consider watching the American Gospel documentary that's on Netflix and Amazon prime I actually just finished it today and it's fantastic and will give you a lot of clarity on this topic.. and introduce you to a lot of great pastors

Hope this helps Feel free to ask again for more clarity and specifics
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.