The Weather Man

1,392 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BusterAg
Guy on a Buffalo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
"Who's to say where the wind will take us? Who's to say what it is will break us? I don't know which way the wind will blow." - U2, Kite

My 13 year old son recently started a business and has made it his goal to earn $1000 this summer, building and selling Texas flags out of old wood and delivering them with me to his many paying customers. A few days ago he was outside painting one in the hot sun. It's a joy to watch him work, and even more so as he persists through adverse circumstances. Texas sun in July can be downright brutal, and to labor in it displays not only a firm devotion to one's calling, but an almost equally strong disregard for one's personal health.

I noticed as I walked outside that there had been a cloud covering him, helping to keep the heat of the sun at bay. As soon as I remarked on this out loud the cloud drifted away and my son looked at me as if I was somehow responsible for the sudden change in temperature.

It occurred to me that having the power to affect the weather is not something that I want. People tend to assume that just because you have the ability to do something, it means you are inclined to do it for them. So if word got out that I had the ability to make it warmer or colder depending upon my own whims, I can only imagine the frustration people would have with me when the weather didn't suit their needs.

"I haven't had a good rain in months," a farmer would tell me. "Why can't you just allow my crops a little bit of water so that I can continue to feed my family?"

"Really, today is not a good day for a storm. I planned a picnic in the park with my children," a frustrated parent might say.

And what if I hadn't even controlled the weather that week? It stands to reason that having such a power would not necessarily be something exclusive to me, but no doubt any time people were upset with their circumstances they would assume that it was I who had changed them for the negative. I might sleep in some lazy Saturday morning, only to be greeted upon departing my slumber by slews of people indignant that I had allowed a tsunami to destroy their beautiful beachfront properties.

Weather is one of many things that we accept as being completely out of our own control. Like the passing of time and the irrationality of illness, we've settled into the reality that life and circumstances will take place in ways that we cannot knowingly predict or adequately mitigate. And yet we have allowed ourselves to believe that taking certain drastic measures is necessary to prevent contracting a virus from which more than 99% of us will survive. We've sacrificed our work, our community, even our worship in the name of safety, neglecting to realize that adventure and experience are the reasons we were born in the first place. Teddy Roosevelt understood this, commanding the US Navy to continue to send its warships out to sea even in times of peace despite the potential risk to craft and crew. A 1901 newspaper quote reads: "President Roosevelt thinks that warships are not built to rust and rot in harbor. He wants them kept moving so that crews can keep in full practice at their seamanship, gunnery, etc. That sounds like hard sense."

John A Shedd said it even more succinctly in his book of adages written in 1928: "A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

One might believe that staying at home and limiting our interactions is the surest way to prevent getting sick. While I could argue that doing so might cause irreparable harm to our own immune systems for lack of exposure, I'm far less concerned with that line of thinking than this: in allowing ourselves to stay confined in isolation, we have made the determination that our own personal safety is more important than the business of adventure that is our life. A people who once wholeheartedly agreed with William Wallace that every man dies, but not every man truly lives have now conceded that they are more concerned for their physical well-being than living out Christ's command to go into the world.

I'm not suggesting that we should have no regard for the safety and well-being of our neighbors. Doing so would violate an even more important command to love them as we love ourselves. But to discount their need for interaction and community is tantamount to deciding for them that it's better to live a reduced existence for a longer period of time than a full one for potentially less. I believe that this not only flies in the face of good sense, but I also find it uncannily prideful that a people of faith choose to place their hope in prevention and not in the God of Psalm 103 who heals us from all our diseases. The same God who the wind and the sea obey, and who sends both storms and droughts into our lives. Not because He wants us to suffer or shrink back in fear, but because the testing of our faith produces an endurance, and that endurance produces character, and that character produces a real hope which will not disappoint.

-----------------------
Truth without love is brutality. Love without truth is compromise.
dermdoc
AG
Good post.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Seamaster
AG
"Life is risky, but there is greater ruin for us if we do not accept it and live anyway. At some point we have to break out of the huddle and run the play."

https://m.ncregister.com/blog/msgr-pope/be-not-afraid

agie95
AG
We effect more things than people think. Whatever you put your attention on, you can affect. Before someone comes with it, this doesn't mean you can necessarily override God's will. People can change things (circumstances, other people, etc) with the way we think.
ramblin_ag02
AG
I'm going to be that guy.

Did you really just post a long philosophical post about how 3 months of dialing back social contact and taking reasonal steps to control a potentially fatal disease are hurting the human and Christian experience of life?

A few months of wearing a mask, not going to the movies, and avoiding crowds isn't going to stop Christianity or demean human existence. In fact, many people are using the time at home to build better relationships and explore passions that they never had time or opportunity to chase. No one should be suffering existential angst over a few months of relatively minor prohibitions.

If this thing starts to drag on for years, then I'd probably agree with you. At this point it just sounds silly.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
waco_aggie05
AG
Obviously your job was not lost. Your income not affected. What about a few months of no school for kids already at risk and behind? There is a whole world out there outside your bubble.
Frok
AG
Yeah it's easy to downplay the circumstances when they haven't affected you personally.

Losing my job and shutting down my church is not a minor thing. It's been very difficult. I lost my way of life and I'm isolated from my network.
kurt vonnegut
AG
Frok said:

Yeah it's easy to downplay the circumstances when they haven't affected you personally.

Losing my job and shutting down my church is not a minor thing. It's been very difficult. I lost my way of life and I'm isolated from my network.

Its also easy to downplay the seriousness of the pandemic if you haven't lost family to it.

I don't have the right answers. The importance of keeping society 'running', keeping people at work, food on the table, and kids in school is unquestionable. I think it is also important to be cautious during an outbreak of a virus that could end up killing large numbers of people or possibly having long term side affects for many others. There are competing interests here and they are both important.

I consider myself enormously fortunate to be able to work from home and that business is still good for now. I'm very much bubbled up right now, because I can. Not everyone can and not everyone should be.

We all want this thing done and over with. Is there sense in clamping down as hard as we can for a couple months in order to squash this thing. Is it even possible to effectively eliminate it? Are we doing harm to our children or our communities? Does that harm outweigh the cost to public health?

We are going to come down on these questions differently for different reasons and different motivations. But I don't think any of those motivations are malicious. No one wants your church closed down. No one wants you isolated. No one wants you out of a job.
Frok
AG
I agree, I understand that none of us really know how to handle something like this. What I want is for people to understand the seriousness of lockdowns on people. It's not some simple time where we enjoy new hobbies and spend time building relationships. It's a struggle for many. That needs to be in consideration with churches who's job is to minister to the flock, not simply post a sermon video online to consume.
powerbelly
AG
Frok said:

I agree, I understand that none of us really know how to handle something like this. What I want is for people to understand the seriousness of lockdowns on people. It's not some simple time where we enjoy new hobbies and spend time building relationships. It's a struggle for many. That needs to be in consideration with churches who's job is to minister to the flock, not simply post a sermon video online to consume.

The lockdown should not prevent a church from ministering to the flock. There is so much more than gathering Sundays.
ramblin_ag02
AG
None of yall know anything about my situation, my "bubble", or my opinions about shutting down v. opening up.

The thing that bothered me about the OP was the defeatist fatalistic outlook. "No one expects us to control the weather so no one should expect us to control corona, so let's just act like it's not a problem and whoever dies, dies."

While this is certainly the most trying time period of my life in general, overall it's not that bad for people who aren't sick and dying. We all have food and everyone here has a computer/smart phone and internet. Sales of bikes, weights, kayaks, boats, trucks, sports cars, campers, RVs, and just about any leisure item is through the roof. So apparently people still have disposable income. Stocks markets are only about 10% off all time highs right now. Compared to all the horrible things our country has been through, this doesn't rate top 10, and it's only been 4 months. Surely we can be a little more resilient than this. It's more than a bit premature to roll over and bare our bellies to this disease
BusterAg
AG
At some point, fear overtakes rationality.

There is a question on whether we are at that point or not, and I am not going to take a side in this thread, but it is germane to the argument.

The first 3 months or so of this, it was probably rational to be cautious. We are lucky as a nation, because we can largely afford to hunker down. The individuals that can't afford it are being assisted by the people with wealth.

But, you can't hide forever. At some point, when the battle of the disease has turned for the better, its time to find our bravery again and face the world, which is never going to be 100% safe.

If we open back up, some additional people will die from COVID. If we stay closed, some additional people will die from depression, drug addiction, alcohol addiction, and suicide.

It is a legitimate question on whether or not we are cowering from a mortally wounded dragon in a way that we would not have prior to being fed a diet of fear for the last three months.

There is a difference between bravery and foolishness, I will grant you.

But there is also a difference between cautiousness and cowardice.
In the end the Party would announce that two and two made five, and you would have to believe it. It was inevitable that they should make that claim sooner or later: the logic of their position demanded it. Not merely the validity of experience, but the very existence of external reality, was tacitly denied by their philosophy. The heresy of heresies was common sense -George Orwell, 1984, Part 1, Chapter 7
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.