Another Thing Jesus never said

2,317 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Zobel
Thaddeus73
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
dermdoc
AG
He also never said anything about indulgences, or homosexuality, or purgatory, etc. And I deeply respect the Catholic faith and read the Rosary regularly.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
craigernaught
AG
Neat
schmendeler
AG
and yet, here we are.
Aggrad08
AG
You think Thaddeus would accept evolution if you put it forth in medieval iconography
Ags4DaWin
dermdoc said:

He also never said anything about Pedophilia, torturing jews, killing righteous saints indulgences, or homosexuality, or purgatory, etc.

FIFY
jrico2727
AG
You must be the guy the Lord spoke about, being free of sin and casting stones.
AgLiving06
I don't think Jesus even mention Rome...
Ags4DaWin
jrico2727 said:

You must be the guy the Lord spoke about, being free of sin and casting stones.

since when is pointing out facts the same as casting stones?

Not sure where in the New Testament Jesus said "Don't state facts if they offend someone"- maybe that should be added to the list.
Tamu_mgm
AG
dermdoc said:

He also never said anything about indulgences, or homosexuality, or purgatory, etc. And I deeply respect the Catholic faith and read the Rosary regularly.
That also does not take 1 inkling of truth away from the fact that Jesus established the Church that has persisted and grown since then, known later and to today as Catholic.

I could list literally books-worth of corruption, and terrible sins committed by those in positions of the Church hierarchy, but not a single one of them would take anything away from the Truth that Jesus himself established with his Church. The fact that the Church is in Rome by the way is irrelevant to what Jesus is saying, and does not refute what he established. Geographical location does not limit His Church, so the fact that His Church being in Rome is some kind of argument against it is just silly.
jrico2727
AG
It's clear you were pointing out facts with an agenda. Jesus never said use the truth as a weapon, to degrade or to lead people astray from the only Church he created. I don't know your faith tradition but I am sure you have sinners within it, and if I were to use their actions to judge the entire lot, that would be uncharitable at the least and likely very sinful.
Thaddeus73
AG
The Catholic Church survived Judas...We will survive homosexual predators in the priesthood as well...just like the protestant church will survive David Koresh, Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Joel Osteen, Jim Bakker, Jimmy Swaggart, and just about everybody on TBN...
schmendeler
AG
Thaddeus73 said:

The Catholic Church survived Judas...We will survive homosexual predators in the priesthood as well...just like the protestant church will survive David Koresh, Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Joel Osteen, Jim Bakker, Jimmy Swaggart, and just about everybody on TBN...

I think it's important to point out that homosexual is not the same as pedophilic.
aggiegirl1970

New American Standard Bible John 21:25

And there are also many other things which Jesus did, which if they were written in detail, I suppose that even the world itself would not contain the books that would be written.

This verse to me is an indication that not everything Jesus did, or Jesus said, would be recorded in the bible, since that would be far too many books for the world to contain. So, why would anyone make an assumption of things Jesus said, or didn't say, and think they could know for sure with any certainty?

Over 2,000 years since Jesus died and rose again, and for some reason we still think half-baked men of this sinful, modern age speak for God. I wonder how many of us are just talking to ourselves and sharing our own views, rather than the mind and heart of God?
Zobel
AG
Is your suggestion here that it's fine for someone to assert Jesus said anything?

I'm sure we can think of a great many things Jesus certainly didn't say, based on who He was, and what He is recorded as saying and doing.
AgLiving06
John also said the following in the chapter before...John 20:

"30 Now Jesus did many other signs in the presence of the disciples, which are not written in this book; 31 but these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name."

So you are certainly correct to say that threads like this from Thaddeus are kind of silly. He's going to try and find justification for Roman Catholicism at every turn. As you are seeing, most don't take his threads seriously anyways.

But as we look beyond the initial reason for this thread, we should recognize that what John wrote are what God wanted us to understand in order to gain salvation.
aggiegirl1970
Zobel, I am not suggesting that people can claim Jesus said just anything. Based on what we know about Him from scripture, we can certainly infer a lot of things about Him, probably guess correctly at a lot of things He would say were He here right now, but we just have to be careful about words, actions or statements outside of what is recorded in the bible. Especially when well meaning people can read one scripture and disagree on what it means.

The older I get, the more I realize a great number of pastors, priests, evangelists, etc. are simply talking to themselves and their listeners, and are not nearly as close to God as they think. My opinion here, but many of our social problems are the result of Christian churches in America failing, which of course is an entirely different discussion.
Zobel
AG
To be fair with regard to the op the entirety of it is negating things Christ did affirm or teach. I think this falls into the category of things He certainly didn't say.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.