Biblical Typology -- the best way to understand the Bible

4,060 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Zobel
Thaddeus73
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Biblical Typology

King Solomon and Jesus
  • Both rode donkeys while being hailed as King of Israel and the Son of David.
  • Both had Queen Mothers who interceded for others Solomon had Bathsheba, Jesus has Mary at the Wedding Feast of Cana.
  • Both were known as the son of David.
  • Both were King of Israel.
  • Solomon built the Jewish temple that was destroyed and then rebuilt. Jesus' body is His Temple which was killed, and then came back to life.
Baptism
PabloSerna
AG
Adam and Jesus
Eve and Mary

nosoupforyou
AG
PabloSerna said:

Adam and Jesus
Eve and Mary

Your first point is made clear in the book of Romans that Jesus is the second Adam.. that an Adam we are all in sin, but in Christ we are all redeemed. Amen!

Your second point Not sure that's biblical at all Re Eve and Mary
diehard03
I wasn't aware that Jesus stood by idly while mary ushered sin into the world...
Faithful Ag
nosoupforyou said:

PabloSerna said:

Adam and Jesus
Eve and Mary

Your first point is made clear in the book of Romans that Jesus is the second Adam.. that an Adam we are all in sin, but in Christ we are all redeemed. Amen!

Your second point Not sure that's biblical at all Re Eve and Mary

There are many, many, many types of Mary in the Old Testament. Eve is absolutely one of the most notable. Mary is the New Eve (and the true Arc of the Covenant). Through Eve's disobedience sin came into the world and separated man from God. Through Mary's perfect obedience Christ became man and came into the world to redeem man.

If you are missing the typology of Mary as the new Eve and the Arc of the Covenant, then I am truly sad for all of the many other things that you must be missing about the beauty and depth of the Christian faith.

nosoupforyou
AG
Are you Catholic? I'm not so there may be some natural differences between us

I found this article helpful for me to think about Mary/Eve perspective

Can you share your thoughts? I'm assuming you won't agree but it's good to hear other viewpoints.. or maybe you will agree?

https://involutedgenealogies.wordpress.com/2012/06/07/three-obvious-reasons-why-mary-cannot-be-the-new-eve/
Faithful Ag
If you are getting your information about Catholic beliefs from sources such as this article, please know your sources do not know or understand Catholic Christian doctrine. They get virtually everything wrong and twist and distort the Scriptures and Catholic teaching to their own destruction. This article is very anti-Catholic.

Point #1
The article attempts to remove Eve's role in eating the apple and giving it to Adam to eat. They were both equally guilty and through both of their actions sin entered the world. It was after their transgression, not before, that God placed Eve under Adam's headship. Your article is flat wrong on this point.

Quote:

Genesis 1
...And Adam said: The woman, whom thou gavest me to be my companion, gave me of the tree, and I did eat. And the Lord God said to the woman: Why hast thou done this? And she answered: The serpent deceived me, and I did eat. And the Lord God said to the serpent: Because thou hast done this thing, thou art cursed among all cattle, and the beasts of the earth: upon thy breast shalt thou go, and earth shalt thou eat all the days of thy life. I will put enmities between thee and the woman, and thy seed and her seed: she shall crush thy head, and thou shalt lie in wait for her heel. To the woman also he said: I will multiply thy sorrows, and thy conceptions: in sorrow shalt thou bring forth children, and thou shalt be under thy husband's power, and he shall have dominion over thee. And to Adam he said: Because thou hast hearkened to the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, whereof I commanded thee that thou shouldst not eat, cursed is the earth in thy work; with labour and toil shalt thou eat thereof all the days of thy life. Thorns and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou eat the herbs of the earth. In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread till thou return to the earth, out of which thou wast taken: for dust thou art, and into dust thou shalt return. And Adam called the name of his wife Eve: because she was the mother of all the living.

Point #2
Serious question...do you believe in the Holy Trinity? God in three persons...God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit? One God?

Quote:

From your article:
"if Mary is the New Eve, then she is the incestuous and adulterous bride of her own Son. Please note that I draw out the implications of the false doctrines of Romanism. "

This is an absolutely terrible take and pitiful attempt by the author, and quite disingenuous (unless the author denies the Trinity I guess in which case the author would not be a Christian).

It was the Holy Spirit that "overshadowed" Mary so that she conceived Jesus, her Son. It would be more accurate to say Mary is the spouse of God the Holy Spirit and the mother of God the Son, Jesus.

Quote:

From the article
"Where is Mary shown to "say yes" to God? Was it by Mary's one act of obedience that Christ was brought into the world? Where in the Scriptures do we see God commanding Mary to be the mother of Christ? The answer is: Nowhere."

Luke 1: 35-38 speaks to the above:
Quote:

...And the angel answering, said to her: The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the most High shall overshadow thee. And therefore also the Holy which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God. And behold thy cousin Elizabeth, she also hath conceived a son in her old age; and this is the sixth month with her that is called barren: Because nothing shall be impossible with God. And Mary said: Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord; be it done to me according to thy word. And the angel departed from her.

Sounds like a "YES" to me.
ETA: God did not command or force Mary to be the mother of Jesus. Mary accepted willingly...which means she in fact did consent with a yes.

Quote:

From the article:
"Note that the Romanists make a connection between the ark of the covenant and the woman mentioned in these verses. However, there is NO exegetical link between the two that would warrant an identification of the former with the latter. "

There is so much on Mary as the Arc of the Covenant that I can't begin to do it justice now. Based on your responses and sincerity in this discussion I am happy to pursue this more with you.

Honestly though, I am skeptical based on this very anti-Catholic source and your first question to me being "are you a Catholic" that you are interested in actually hearing or understanding these issues. I hope I am wrong, but we will see I guess.
nosoupforyou
AG
I would say I'm reformed baptist - so if you are Catholic, we have some natural differences. that's why I asked your background to know from the top where we might see things differently.

I'm not one to argue with others- especially on the internet - so some friendly dialog on this is hopefully where this goes - maybe we can both learn something.

I also found this article somewhat helpful, but man - it's more technical than the other one - take a look and see if it makes sense to you

https://orthodoxchristiantheology.com/2016/09/18/did-the-church-fathers-call-mary-the-new-eve-no/

regarding your points above, you went sideways with his analogy which he said was only the perceived implication of believing Eve/Mary position - he says specifically that nobody would believe this - so from my perspective, he should have left it out because it only waters down the key point. you are right - let's move on from it since it's actually irrelevant that Mary would be Jesus's husband analogy.

re the first point though, we get the answers straight from Romans 5:12-21 - that's the only way you can interpret Jesus as the 2nd Adam - because it's there in Romans and we use the entire Bible to interpret the Bible. Sure Eve was the first to sin, but God didn't put the responsibility on her... he put it on Adam.

The points you make about Eve/Mary don't seem to be in Romans or elsewhere in scripture

Point 2 - as noted above - Reformed Baptist - so that's exactly where I line up re the Trinity.

I have never studied anything on Mary as Arc of the Covenant - what does that mean?
nosoupforyou
AG
I found out a little more about Mary and the Ark

http://www.whitehorseblog.com/2015/06/21/searching-for-the-lost-ark/

Again - this blog is from someone who was catholic but no longer - not sure if his points will be relevant to you but at least I found something on it and now 'slightly' better understand what you were saying

personally- I'm not a deep weeds thinker so I'll try to respond to your thoughts

appreciate the dialog
Zobel
AG

Quote:

re the first point though, we get the answers straight from Romans 5:12-21 - that's the only way you can interpret Jesus as the 2nd Adam - because it's there in Romans and we use the entire Bible to interpret the Bible. Sure Eve was the first to sin, but God didn't put the responsibility on her... he put it on Adam.
It is not the only way you can interpret Jesus as the second Adam. Christ Jesus is the Man. He is what Adam should have been, so while he is the second Adam in one sense, He is the first and only in the other.

And of course Eve was responsible for her sin - she suffered the consequences of sin as well.

As for that article's strange point - that it wasn't Eve but Adam who brought sin ... this is, of course, no objection to Mary the Theotokos as the new Eve. Did Mary abolish sin? No - Christ Jesus did. So if we say, Eve didn't bring sin per Romans 5, but Adam, this reinforces the symmetry between Eve and Mary, because their roles are paralleled to Adam's and Christ Jesus'.

Also, that orthodoxchritiantheology blog is arguing a different point than Eve as a type for Mary. It's arguing against the use of patristic writings which definitely affirm that type to support doctrines like Mary being sinless, the immaculate conception, or the bodily assumption. This is crossing arguments, I think.
nosoupforyou
AG
i'm speechless - well delivered and said - thank you for your contribution.
it's mostly over my head, but I enjoy learning the nuances and if kind dialog can help correct bad theology, then I'm all in
Faithful Ag
Quote:

I'm not one to argue with others- especially on the internet - so some friendly dialog on this is hopefully where this goes - maybe we can both learn something.

Okay. I would enjoy having a real discussion on these topics and a good back and forth with you. Hopefully we can have a productive and charitable dialog.

Let me first address this before moving on because it is not irrelevant in my view:
Quote:

regarding your points above, you went sideways with his analogy which he said was only the perceived implication of believing Eve/Mary position - he says specifically that nobody would believe this - so from my perspective, he should have left it out because it only waters down the key point. you are right - let's move on from it since it's actually irrelevant that Mary would be Jesus's husband analogy.
He makes the argument that if Eve were a Type pointing to Mary that it would be a necessary and logical deduction that it would make Mary the "incestuous and adulterous bride of Jesus", and therefore Eve could not possible be a type for Mary. This is very wrong in many ways and I cannot simply dismiss it away. In my view this statement completely destroys the credibility and trustworthiness of this entire article and source.

As a reformed Baptist you would believe in the Trinity. A more honest position is that God has three distinct "persons" in perfect unity. Mary was the so-called "bride" of the Holy Spirit and their "offspring" was Jesus Christ. Jesus was fully human because of Mary, and Jesus was fully divine because He is God.

Okay...moving on.
Quote:

re the first point though, we get the answers straight from Romans 5:12-21 - that's the only way you can interpret Jesus as the 2nd Adam - because it's there in Romans and we use the entire Bible to interpret the Bible. ...

I think a good place to start is with how we understand and interpret the Bible. As a Catholic Christian, we interpret the New Testament in light of the Old Testament (typology). The OT foreshadows the NT, and the OT is fulfilled by the NT. I say this with gentleness, but while you are looking for proof-texts chapter and verse to see what is in the Bible you are missing so much more that is there within the pages.

Christian doctrine is found both explicitly and implicitly throughout the OT and NT (I will keep Sacred Traditions out of the discussion for now). What this means is that we do not use simple proof texts to try and show all that is revealed through Scripture, but we use all of Scripture to show what God has revealed through it. An example of this is the Trinity. You will not find a proof text verse in the Bible that clearly teaches the Trinity, but the teaching of the Trinity is taught implicitly in the Scriptures.

Quote:

...Sure Eve was the first to sin, but God didn't put the responsibility on her... he put it on Adam.

At the time of the fall, Adam and Eve were in perfect union with God, and Eve was not exempted from responsibility with all of it being placed on Adam. It was AFTER the transgressions of both that BOTH were punished by God and the relationship between God and Man was forever changed. Take another look at Genesis and you will see this is true.

Quote:

The points you make about Eve/Mary don't seem to be in Romans or elsewhere in scripture
Correct. These points may not SEEM to be in Scripture because they are not explicitly found chapter and verse, however they are absolutely found implicitly in the Scriptures.

Think of the Ethiopian eunuch in Acts 8. He needed help understanding the Scriptures. Everything is not as clearly spelled out as we might like when it comes to understanding the Scriptures. When you start to see how the OT brings depth and life and understanding to the NT in a completely new light through understanding Typology you will be amazed! It is truly beautiful.

With regard to my Orthodox brothers, I think what you will find is that we agree on the vast, vast majority of our Christian beliefs and we share a deep and apostolic history. Where we differ has more to do with how the west (Rome) tends to define and articulate teachings with an almost legalistic approach where our Orthodox brothers have a more mystical approach. While we may differ on the definitional, the Beliefs we share are very much in line with each other.
Sb1540
As an Orthodox catechumen I found the story of the Ethiopian extremely refreshing. I always wondered why so many Protestant churches have differing views and while they bash Tradition from mainly the Roman Catholic Church (let's be honest most have no idea of the Orthodox Church) they created their own Tradition through the consequences of the Reformation. Actually reading the history of Luther, Calvin, and Zwingli was more than enough for me to say goodbye to the reformers who said no to general counsels and ironically making their own decisions along the way, not knowing that their metaphysical worldview was shifting underneath them. Although I do love this quote about the real presence of Christ in the Eucharist from Luther to Zwingli "I would rather drink blood with the Pope, than mere wine with the Swiss." Pretty baller move.

I would urge any Protestant to check out Miracles by CS Lewis or The Language of Creation by Matthieu Pageau. Here's some from CS Lewis that many modern Protestants could benefit from-

"The reason why the modern literalist is puzzled is that he is trying to get out of the old writers something which is not there. Starting from a clear modern distinction between material and immaterial he tries to find out on which side of that distinction the ancient Hebrew conception fell. He forgets that the distinction itself has been made clear only by latter though. We are often told that primitive man could not conceive pure spirit, but then he neither could he perceive pure matter...Mr Barfield (Owen) has shown, as regards the history of language, the words did not start by referring merely to physical objects and then get extended by metaphor to refer to emotions, mental states, and the like. On the contrary, what we now call the 'literal and metaphorical' meanings have both been DISENGAGED by analysis from an ancient unity of meaning which was neither or both. In the same way it is quite erroneous to think that that man started with a material God or heaven and gradually spiritualized then. He could not have started with something 'material' for the 'material', as we understand it, comes to be realized only by contrast to the 'immaterial', and the two sides of the contrast grow at the same speed. He (ancient man) started with something which was neither and both. As long as we are trying to read back into the ancient unity either the one or the other of the two opposites which have since been analyzed out of it, we shall misread all early literature and ignore many states of consciousness which we ourselves still from time to time experience. The point is crucial not only for the present discussion but for any sound literary criticism or philosophy."

It's all about the unity of heaven and earth...it was back then and needs to be today as we push forward into nihilistic philosophies.
AgLiving06
Larry Lajitas said:

As an Orthodox catechumen I found the story of the Ethiopian extremely refreshing. I always wondered why so many Protestant churches have differing views and while they bash Tradition from mainly the Roman Catholic Church (let's be honest most have no idea of the Orthodox Church) they created their own Tradition through the consequences of the Reformation. Actually reading the history of Luther, Calvin, and Zwingli was more than enough for me to say goodbye to the reformers who said no to general counsels and ironically making their own decisions along the way, not knowing that their metaphysical worldview was shifting underneath them. Although I do love this quote about the real presence of Christ in the Eucharist from Luther to Zwingli "I would rather drink blood with the Pope, than mere wine with the Swiss." Pretty baller move.

I don't agree with your assessment that the Reformers, especially Luther, said no to councils (general or ecumenical).

Certainly there were non-ecumenical councils that Lutherans disagreed with. Luther is quoted as saying that there were councils that contradicted each other. However, Luther was not opposed to them, and Lutheran's really wanted a council with Rome to work through disputes. That council did not occur until after Luther's death and the council that occurred (Trent) turned out to be not much more than Rome declaring anathema on everyone (Orthodox included).

But simply the fact of disputing a councils conclusions was not something new or original. The Orthodox famously rejected the results of the Council of Florence, where it was decreed Papal Supremacy.

In terms of tradition, Luther did not want to create new Traditions, but to reform the errors of Rome. If you look at the original Augsburg Confession, for example, the section titled "The Abuses Corrected" was actually the entire first draft. The document had originally been intended only to explain where Lutherans were reforming and why. So things such as giving both The Body and Blood vs Rome only giving one. Allowing Priest to be married was another.
Zobel
AG
That's not at all how "On the Councils and the Church" reads. He starts first and foremost by rejecting the injunction against blood in the council of Jerusalem in Acts, then moves on to Canon 12 from Nicaea (which, I think, he innocently misunderstands) as well as Canon 1 (which again, I really don't follow his objections) and Canon 3.

Luther's argument is most definitely against councils and canons, if only because his ultimate argument was against the papacy and the papal hypocrisy about canons was a useful lever.

Then he just arbitrarily says, well, after the four chief ones, the rest are of little value. Oh good, thanks Luther, that's wonderful.

I think this quote is particularly revealing:

Quote:

If the Holy Ghost had been so silly as to expect or trust that the councils and fathers would do everything well and make no mistakes, He would have had no need to warn His Church, before their time, that it should prove and examine all things and that men would build straw, hay, wood on the foundation.
Yikes! Talk about mixing and matching and a novel interpretation.

At any rate, though, the reason this is so revealing is because it belies the fundamental presupposition here. Namely, that Christ ascended and left a book. Or, if you prefer the Roman version, that Christ ascended and left a Vicar.

In the former, the idea is well Christ is gone, but we have these scriptures, so these must be how we govern. Everything must be proved by scripture. For the latter, we had St Peter and his successors, so these are how we govern. Everything must be proved by Rome.

On the other hand the Orthodox say - and have said - that Christ is in our midst (we say this every liturgy). He is an active participant in the life of the Church. So Holy Tradition, the life of the Church, is the life in Christ. The scriptures flow from this; the praxis of the Church flows from this; the traditions and canons flow from this. This is why the scriptures we use are the scriptures the Church uses. This is why the teachings of the faith that are binding are the teachings the Church teaches. It's tautological in this respect, but not so if we remember that He never left us alone and He is our Pastor, Shepherd, Teacher, and Priest. This is why the canons are binding - because the Church treated them as such. This is why the pronouncements of the councils have authority - because the Church taught them.

The councils illumine the faith; they do not establish it.

AgLiving06
Paraphrasing several hundred pages of a book into a couple lines and only quoting one line isn't really treating the source fairly is it?

Quote:

Luther's argument is most definitely against councils and canons, if only because his ultimate argument was against the papacy and the papal hypocrisy about canons was a useful lever.

Then he just arbitrarily says, well, after the four chief ones, the rest are of little value. Oh good, thanks Luther, that's wonderful.

Just prior to this paraphrase he says the following:

Quote:

Meanwhile, we cull out of the fathers and councils what we like; they what they like; and we cannot come to agreement, because the fathers are not in agreement any more than the councils are. Dear sir, who is to preach in the meantime to the poor souls who know nothing of this culling and quarreling? Is it feeding Christ's sheep, when we do not know whether we are giving them grass or poison, hay or dung? We are to be doubtful and uncertain until it is settled, and a council decides it! Ah, what poor provision Christmade for His Church, if that is the way things were to go!

His point being that many of that time tried to prop up Councils as a replacement for Christianity.

The next paragraph he says:

Quote:

No, it must go otherwise than we pretend to prove from councils and fathers; or else there must have been no Church since the time of the apos- tles; and this is not possible, for there stand the words, "I believe one holy, Christian Church" and "I am with you, even unto the end of the world." The Man must be called Ego veritas; fathers and councils, compared with Him, must be called Omnis homo mendax, if they contradict each other.

He then follows up with the quote you paraphrased while saying he'd rather understand the Father's than quarrel over the multitude of councils:

Quote:

At any rate, though, the reason this is so revealing is because it belies the fundamental presupposition here. Namely, that Christ ascended and left a book. Or, if you prefer the Roman version, that Christ ascended and left a Vicar.

This is simply not true and not a faithful reading of the book you quote from.

Lets look at the previous quote you paraphrased:

Quote:

To be sure, I have not read all the councils, and shall not read them all and lose all that time and effort, since I have read the four chief councils thoroughly, better than any of them have done. Also I make bold to say that, after the four chief councils, I will hold all the others of small value, even though I would hold some of them to be good. The fathers, I hope, are better known to me than to these shouters, who pinch out of them what they want and let the rest go, because it annoys them. Therefore we must go at the business another way.

Also, from the same paragraph as your quote:

Quote:

So St. Augustine says of himself, Errare potero; hereticus non ero, "I can err, but I shall not be a heretic," for the reason that heretics not only err, but will not let themselves be corrected, defend their error as though it were right, and strive against known truth and their own consciences.

So this is not just about the Scriptures as you say. It's about tradition beyond just councils. It's about understanding that councils have erred, that people have erred, but we trust that Christ has not erred.

AgLiving06
Btw. I just realized who you are.

Makes more sense. I'd wondered where you'd gone.
Zobel
AG
It wasn't intended to be a review of the whole book, just to the point that Luther's argument in "on the Councils and the Church" more or less is that Rome is hypocritical in their use of the fathers and councils, so the councils and fathers aren't authoritative.

It's a bit of have your cake and eat it to when you get to say well these are the good councils - or at least the portions of the good councils we want - and those are of little value.

You can't do that and then honestly say they supported councils. At that point, he's perfectly right - "we cull out of the fathers and councils what we like; they what they like; and we cannot come to agreement, because the fathers are not in agreement any more than the councils are." That's precisely the problem, and that's why the Protestants and the Catholics will always be at loggerheads. From my view, they're asking the wrong questions.

Quote:

So this is not just about the Scriptures as you say. It's about tradition beyond just councils. It's about understanding that councils have erred, that people have erred, but we trust that Christ has not erred.
I don't think that anyone disagrees with this. The problem is the question comes back to one of authority - how do you determine the error? The Scriptures? The Vicar? Or the dogmatic fact of life in the Church?
craigernaught
AG
Why the name changes?

I don't think that is very helpful for longtime posters in a forum like this unless you're upfront about it.
LGBFJB
AG
Where did nosoupforyou go?
Zobel
AG
Sorry, didn't mean to confuse anyone. My old handle had my year and outfit, which narrowed things down pretty clearly. Had some goobers PM me less than nice things and I figured you know, I don't make it a real secret who I am but I dont want to be casually doxxed by some rando.
nosoupforyou
AG
Franklins said:

Where did nosoupforyou go?
just lurking at this point - you guys are WAY theological and I like reading but I have nothing else to contribute, haha

I'm more relational in personality but appreciate listening to the theology talk

i'm coming from the John MacArthur (Reformed Baptist) side so anything else I can contribute would just be pasting an article he has written - so I have issues with the Catholic perspective, but it's helpful to see that perspective/dialog has it's own merit

and it's refreshing to see respectful dialog
craigernaught
AG
Zobel said:

Sorry, didn't mean to confuse anyone. My old handle had my year and outfit, which narrowed things down pretty clearly. Had some goobers PM me less than nice things and I figured you know, I don't make it a real secret who I am but I dont want to be casually doxxed by some rando.

Makes sense.
AgLiving06
Luther was famous (or infamous) for overstating his case. He might even make Trump blush nowadays with some of the things he said. In addition, Luther was a prolific writer, speaker, but most importantly Pastor. His focus was on the flock and context is hugely important when you look at the volumes of things attributed to him. I see him in the same vein as St. John Chrysostom in how they approached their ministry. He wasn't a slouch on the academics, but there were others who were better and sharper than him. That's why Lutheranism does not rely on Luther. Some of his books, largely those more focused on catechisms are used, but when you get to the theology, it's usually someone else.

Quote:

It's a bit of have your cake and eat it to when you get to say well these are the good councils - or at least the portions of the good councils we want - and those are of little value.

You can't do that and then honestly say they supported councils. At that point, he's perfectly right - "we cull out of the fathers and councils what we like; they what they like; and we cannot come to agreement, because the fathers are not in agreement any more than the councils are." That's precisely the problem, and that's why the Protestants and the Catholics will always be at loggerheads. From my view, they're asking the wrong questions.

As you said, this was directed against Rome, so his language is such. He almost certainly had read all the Ecumenical Councils, and probably a lot more than that. He's just going to overstate his case for effect.

But again context is important. How does he start the book itself?

Quote:

...That is what he is doing now with the council. The whole world has cried for and waited for it; the good emperor and the whole empire have been working for it for about twenty years; and the pope has always held out false hopes, and held off, and constantly offered it to the emperor, like a bit of bread to a dog, until he saw his time; then he raps him on the muz- zle, and mocks him, as though the emperor were his fool and jumping-jack. For he now issues the third call for the council but before doing it, he sends his apostles into all lands and swears kings and princes to hold fast the pope's doctrine. The bishops and their clergy are in agreement with this; they will yield nothing at all and will allow nothing to be reformed.

Thus the council is closed before it begins; we are to have no reforms, but everything is to keep on as it has been up to this time. Is not that a splendid council? It has not yet met, but it has already done what it was to do, if it were to begin...

So in context we find a very different argument.

People yelled for councils and thought they were the only way to know truth. Yet the Pope (and others) were using councils to further their own desires. Luther's argument was a council was only worthwhile if the conclusions were not just Scriptural, but also found in the Fathers.

But further, while the Orthodox, hold to 7 Ecumenical Councils, Rome was up to 18 (Link) by the time of Luther. This included the Council of Florence where Rome claims the Orthodox conceded that the Pope has Supremacy. Should Luther hold that council to be true and correct?

Which leads me to my final point. How many councils are correct and how many are ecumenical? 7? 21? other? Luther's point was it didn't matter. If council was good, that's sufficient, but councils don't save lives. Pastors out in the mess do, and that's where he wants to be.
Zobel
AG
I mean... he starts the book talking about how funny it is to tease a dog with foot then smack it on the nose with the hilt of a knife. Hilarious, amirite?

Quote:

People yelled for councils and thought they were the only way to know truth.
That's not true. This is the issue - we know Luther is prone to hyperbole, we know he's polemic. So he's not really a reliable source for what his opponents thought or even said. There's a lot of bad arguments in "Councils" which is why I didn't really bring it up only to say - simply stating "the Reformers especially Luther didn't say no to councils" is an oversimplification to the point of near untruth. They did say no to counsels, and they felt no twinge of conscience to even reject portions of the "chief" ones.

If I take scissors to scripture, keeping only the "chief" books - and editing those besides - can you say I didn't say no to scripture?

Quote:

Which leads me to my final point. How many councils are correct and how many are ecumenical? 7? 21? other? Luther's point was it didn't matter. If council was good, that's sufficient, but councils don't save lives. Pastors out in the mess do, and that's where he wants to be.

I already asked this question - how do you determine the error? The Scriptures? The Vicar? Or the dogmatic fact of life in the Church?

What makes a council good, or correct? What makes the teaching of it salvific? This is the underlying question, and this is absolutely the reason their "metaphysical worldview was shifting underneath them".
Sb1540
If people and councils error then how can you trust any Protestant/evangelical pastor that he is aiding you to salvation? How do you know that the enemy is not currently destroying your church through secular means? I can think of numerous churches (Non denominational, Presbyterian, Baptist) around Austin that I visited which showed intersectionality philosophy and secular tactics ingrained into their message.

There's something about the invisible/visible church where Orthodox/Catholic are on the visible side and Protestants on the invisible side. It definitely stems from Lutheran ideas and never discussed prior to the reformation. Luther's camp did actually reach out to the East but the dialogue didn't go far for numerous reasons.

Edit- No Protestant church even holds the Nicene creed fully...they are not "In one Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church." For whatever reason some do believe that they are included in this through the "invisible" church but I would like to find out where they got that from.
Sb1540
AgLiving06 said:

Luther was famous (or infamous) for overstating his case. He might even make Trump blush nowadays with some of the things he said. In addition, Luther was a prolific writer, speaker, but most importantly Pastor. His focus was on the flock and context is hugely important when you look at the volumes of things attributed to him. I see him in the same vein as St. John Chrysostom in how they approached their ministry. He wasn't a slouch on the academics, but there were others who were better and sharper than him. That's why Lutheranism does not rely on Luther. Some of his books, largely those more focused on catechisms are used, but when you get to the theology, it's usually someone else.

Quote:

As you said, this was directed against Rome, so his language is such. He almost certainly had read all the Ecumenical Councils, and probably a lot more than that. He's just going to overstate his case for effect.

But again context is important. How does he start the book itself?

Quote:

...That is what he is doing now with the council. The whole world has cried for and waited for it; the good emperor and the whole empire have been working for it for about twenty years; and the pope has always held out false hopes, and held off, and constantly offered it to the emperor, like a bit of bread to a dog, until he saw his time; then he raps him on the muz- zle, and mocks him, as though the emperor were his fool and jumping-jack. For he now issues the third call for the council but before doing it, he sends his apostles into all lands and swears kings and princes to hold fast the pope's doctrine. The bishops and their clergy are in agreement with this; they will yield nothing at all and will allow nothing to be reformed.

Thus the council is closed before it begins; we are to have no reforms, but everything is to keep on as it has been up to this time. Is not that a splendid council? It has not yet met, but it has already done what it was to do, if it were to begin...

So in context we find a very different argument.

People yelled for councils and thought they were the only way to know truth. Yet the Pope (and others) were using councils to further their own desires. Luther's argument was a council was only worthwhile if the conclusions were not just Scriptural, but also found in the Fathers.

But further, while the Orthodox, hold to 7 Ecumenical Councils, Rome was up to 18 (Link) by the time of Luther. This included the Council of Florence where Rome claims the Orthodox conceded that the Pope has Supremacy. Should Luther hold that council to be true and correct?

There are 7 ecumenical councils and Luther should not have held post Latin schism councils as correct...obviously since Rome was not longer part of the Church. The Nicene Creed breaks for Rome in 1054.
AgLiving06
I always find these comments the most interesting.

On one hand Roman Catholics and Orthodox claim unity. Believe the phrase is they are two lungs of the same body.
On the other other hand, they disagree on pretty much everything.

But now with the new wrinkle, that Luther should have known Rome was wrong (or right?) and he either went to far or not far enough.
AgLiving06
Quote:

That's not true. This is the issue - we know Luther is prone to hyperbole, we know he's polemic. So he's not really a reliable source for what his opponents thought or even said. There's a lot of bad arguments in "Councils" which is why I didn't really bring it up only to say - simply stating "the Reformers especially Luther didn't say no to councils" is an oversimplification to the point of near untruth. They did say no to counsels, and they felt no twinge of conscience to even reject portions of the "chief" ones.

So you started this whole thing off talking about how he arbitrarily decided 4 councils were good, the rest were of little value. You post a quote that you said was "particularly revealing."

Now your argument is he's prone to hyperbole and polemics and not a reliable source...

One might observe that you look for the worst scenario in anything Luther did and assume that was the correct scenario.

Quote:

I already asked this question - how do you determine the error? The Scriptures? The Vicar? Or the dogmatic fact of life in the Church?

What makes a council good, or correct? What makes the teaching of it salvific? This is the underlying question, and this is absolutely the reason their "metaphysical worldview was shifting underneath them".

This really isn't a difficult question. Luther (and Lutherans) turned to the Scriptures, the Fathers and yes the Councils...probably in that order. It's not controversial either.

In terms of what makes a council good or correct? Clearly nobody has a perfect formula or answer.

The best example the Lutherans have is Martin Chemnitz Examination of the Council of Trent" where he goes through all of the decrees of Rome and the intentions of the writers and sees how the claims stand up against Scriptures and the Fathers.
Zobel
AG
Luther is probably a reliable witness to his own views. He's probably not a reliable witness to the views of others. That's a very big distinction.

I think his willingness to confine the workings of the Holy Spirit to scripture - and deny His ability to work to illumine the Church through the Fathers, and the activity of the Church - which includes praxis and dogmatic statements of the councils - is very revealing.

This whole thing of ranking hierarchies IS the issue. It presumes that the church is at odds with itself. But what are the witnesses to Christ? He tells us two: the scriptures, and the Holy Spirit. By pitting scripture against tradition or putting them in a hierarchy you are casting witness against witness, Christ against Christ, the Spirit against the Spirit.
AgLiving06
Quote:

I think his willingness to confine the workings of the Holy Spirit to scripture - and deny His ability to work to illumine the Church through the Fathers, and the activity of the Church - which includes praxis and dogmatic statements of the councils - is very revealing.

I'll be honest, I have no idea how you could draw this conclusion.

To claim that Luther or Chemnitz or Gerhard do not draw heavily from the Fathers is just a weird statement. You can scarcely go a page or 2 without quoting them.

In terms of praxis, I realize your desire to differentiate Orthodox from everyone else, but I'm not sure reality supports that argument. It's also not something I want to argue over.

Quote:

This whole thing of ranking hierarchies IS the issue. It presumes that the church is at odds with itself. But what are the witnesses to Christ? He tells us two: the scriptures, and the Holy Spirit. By pitting scripture against tradition or putting them in a hierarchy you are casting witness against witness, Christ against Christ, the Spirit against the Spirit.

This is an opinion, but again, not particularly grounded in truth.

Scripture is not pitted against Tradition or the Fathers or Councils any more or less than seen in the Orthodox or Rome. I think you put it once that in most cases, "the other side" is also quoting Scripture or turning to Tradition or Councils.

What you're really saying is you don't agree with western tradition, largely because it disagrees with eastern tradition.
Zobel
AG
The conclusion you think I've drawn is not the point I'm making. It's quite obvious they draw heavily from the fathers, and the councils as well. What they do not do is consider them inspired by the Holy Spirit. The Reformers, and most modern protestants, freely accept or reject things based on their reading of the scripture, and it is precisely because they have put a hierarchy of authority in place with scripture at the top.

There is an implicit assumption that the reason this is correct is because the scriptures are inspired by the Holy Spirit.

There is also an implicit conclusion that tradition, the fathers, and the councils are not. Otherwise how could they be subordinate? Can the Holy Spirit be subordinate to itself? Inspiring sometimes good things and sometimes bad?

It is this underlying attitude - that the working or inspiration (literally to breathe or blow into - the in-breathing of the Holy breath, the pneuma of God) of the Holy Spirit is limited to scripture - which is revealing.

You say it's an opinion, but not grounded in truth. Explain, then, why the witness of the Church is reliable and authoritative when it comes to what is and isn't inspired scripture but isn't reliable and authoritative when it comes to what is and isn't inspired praxis?

Of course it is no surprise that those who would deny one (tradition is inspired by the Holy Spirit) would also approach the others with a similar attitude (the canon is subject to review).

The bottom line is somewhat tautological. The witness of the Church is inspired, because the Church is the body of Christ and is led personally by the Spirit. Therefore the scriptures which are authoritative are those the Church recognizes as authoritative. The praxis, worship, dogma, and teachings which are authoritative are those the Church recognizes as authoritative. Inspiration and authority have the same root, which is the Holy Spirit, as a witness to Christ. But this tautological standard is far from useless. "Everywhere, always, by all" is a powerful tool for us to know what is reliable - and what isn't.

There is a reason that each council's canonical statements begin by affirming the previous ones.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Quote:

There is an implicit assumption that the reason this is correct is because the scriptures are inspired by the Holy Spirit.

There is also an implicit conclusion that tradition, the fathers, and the councils are not. Otherwise how could they be subordinate? Can the Holy Spirit be subordinate to itself? Inspiring sometimes good things and sometimes bad?

It is this underlying attitude - that the working or inspiration (literally to breathe or blow into - the in-breathing of the Holy breath, the pneuma of God) of the Holy Spirit is limited to scripture - which is revealing.
Sorry to chime in. I think this point is true overall but misses an enormous amount of nuance and context. Protestants in general don't limit the Holy Spirit to scripture. Most Protestants would say the Holy Spirit is active in their own lives and experience, and probably more would say the Holy Spirit is active in their home church.

The tricky part, from a Protestant perspective, arises when some other person or some other church says the Holy Spirit has given that person or church authority over your person or church. IE "The Holy Spirit says you have to follow our orders". Historically, that falls under Church Councils or Papal decrees. Retrospection then shows that Councils contradict other Councils, decrees contract other decrees, and decrees contradict Councils. Since the Spirit does not contradict the Spirit, all of these Councils and decrees can't be simultaneously Inspired and valid. So every tradition, or lack of tradition, has to use some independent judgement to decide which decrees and councils are valid and which are not. The Fathers get dragged into this frequently, but the diversity of opinion in the Fathers is larger than in any tradition, or non-tradition. So it leads to the same problem of having to pick the correct Fathers to defend the correct Councils and support the correct decrees.

When you put the two perspectives together, you end up with a Protestant church that feels like the Holy Spirit is very active in the congregation. Then they hear another church say that the Holy Spirit tells them to subordinate themselves to a power structure or religious tradition. That Protestant church reasons that the Holy Spirit has told them no such thing despite ample opportunity, and they reason that the other church just wants power or influence for non-holy reasons.

All that suffices to say that the Holy Spirit side of the discussion isn't going to convince anybody of anything, unfortunately
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Zobel
AG
Yes - and this is where the discussion has to be had. Not "well, the Reformers did / didn't reject councils" because whether they did or not (and they clearly did) doesn't matter so much as why.

Why did they consider that after the "chief four" councils may be rejected? Why did they consider that some canons are superfluous or even incorrect? What assumption or assumptions lead to this point?
Quote:

Protestants in general don't limit the Holy Spirit to scripture. Most Protestants would say the Holy Spirit is active in their own lives and experience, and probably more would say the Holy Spirit is active in their home church.
Right. But they do not extend that to the Church writ large. I think in general the Protestant tradition - and this is difficult because that covers such a HUGE net of beliefs - is largely individualistic vs corporate. Especially those that arose out of Pietism, which is most modern protestants. This means that the activity of the Holy Spirit is then also on the individual basis.

Quote:

The tricky part, from a Protestant perspective, arises when some other person or some other church says the Holy Spirit has given that person or church authority over your person or church. IE "The Holy Spirit says you have to follow our orders". Historically, that falls under Church Councils or Papal decrees.
The trickier part is that the scriptures are clear that the Church collectively does have authority and infallibility - not individually - and that individual Christians are under authority of the leaders of the Church, and that the Church is actively led by the Spirit.
Quote:

Retrospection then shows that Councils contradict other Councils, decrees contract other decrees, and decrees contradict Councils. Since the Spirit does not contradict the Spirit, all of these Councils and decrees can't be simultaneously Inspired and valid. So every tradition, or lack of tradition, has to use some independent judgement to decide which decrees and councils are valid and which are not. The Fathers get dragged into this frequently, but the diversity of opinion in the Fathers is larger than in any tradition, or non-tradition. So it leads to the same problem of having to pick the correct Fathers to defend the correct Councils and support the correct decrees.
I agree with this point and it is absolutely where you wind up when you are cut off from tradition. You have to go and find witnesses to tradition. The witnesses to tradition are - what scriptures did the Church use? What did contemporary leaders think about these and how did they use them ...and which of these contemporary leaders did the Church consider reliable through time?

Simplifying this to "what is canon" and subordinating everything to those words is an error, and it is an error within a logical loop besides (what is canon -> the books the Church used -> how do we know -> Tradition -> how do we check Tradition -> the canon).

In this regard it is clear that councils or decrees are not authoritative in and of themselves but only in the context as far as they speak for the Church, that is, the Spirit. This applies equally to scripture! The writings are only authoritative as far as they speak for the Church.

And, in this regard, all of these are only authoritative if they reflect what has always been practiced and taught publicly, because the Faith was passed on once for all to the saints. This is what the scriptures say, this is what tradition shows, and this is what the fathers taught.

It is very clear then what authority we're speaking of and why it is authoritative. Not because of some administrative hierarchy but because it is either true or not true, and that is only understandable from the perspective of what the Church confesses and has always confessed, because that is the witness to Christ.
Quote:

When you put the two perspectives together, you end up with a Protestant church that feels like the Holy Spirit is very active in the congregation. Then they hear another church say that the Holy Spirit tells them to subordinate themselves to a power structure or religious tradition. That Protestant church reasons that the Holy Spirit has told them no such thing despite ample opportunity, and they reason that the other church just wants power or influence for non-holy reasons.
This is a mischaracterization of the issue, I think, and is a kind of product of the separation from Holy Tradition that the Great Schism sowed and the Reformation cemented. The problem is that there should be no variation in praxis, confession, dogma, or scriptures between Churches by definition (i.e., Holy Tradition which is guided and shaped by the Spirit). Any variance is potentially problematic, especially if it ends up in a contradictory claim.
Quote:

All that suffices to say that the Holy Spirit side of the discussion isn't going to convince anybody of anything, unfortunately
Ha. Well, then, there's no sense in speaking at all because this is the claim to infallibility of the scriptures. If we chuck the "Holy Spirit side of the discussion" then literally all of it goes out the window - from the OT on
ramblin_ag02
AG
I really don't have anything in opposition to what you said. I'm only a protestant by virtue of not being Orthodox or Catholic, and so I can't really say I'm steeped in the history and writings of the last few hundred years of that. Plenty of people here would be better on that end than me. But I was raised evangelical, so I can understand the general protestant objections from that standpoint.

I have a small issue with the Church being the automatic determinant of which Scripture, Councils, decrees, and doctrines are Spirit-led. The history of the Church is fairly combative, and these battles end with a loser and a winner. Sometimes two losers or two winners in the case of the Great Schism. The winners are then determining doctrine, councils and the rest. Basically the winners write history and make the rules. So if you are happy attributing all those "victories" to the direct action of the Holy Spirit, then this is not an issue for you. That's a hard bridge for me to cross. A lot of those doctrinal victories were facilitated by kidnappings, intimidation, military force, bribery, and all manner of unholy activities. I can't really bring myself to say the Spirit was working in those ways.

As far as the no variation ideal you mentioned, I think that's a bit simplistic. Across the world and throughout history there have been variations in praxis, doctrine, confession. Sometimes the variations were major and caused huge problems, sometime minor and caused no problems, and sometimes minor and caused huge problems. We end up wondering which variations are important and which are not. When trying to discern this we are right back to where we started.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.