Pentecostals

3,334 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Daddy
dermdoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aggiedad20 said:

Larry Lajitas said:

How often do people speak in tongues during your services?

Never

So what is going to happen when you get to Heaven and there are a lot of non Church of Christ folks there?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aggiedad20
Huh?
aggiedad20
Nice edit doc. Thanks for the clarification. Red wine or bourbon tonight??
dermdoc
AG
aggiedad20 said:

Nice edit doc. Thanks for the clarification. Red wine or bourbon tonight??
Prayer. Lots of prayer. Our country is hurting right now and we need to humble ourselves and beg for God's forgiveness and mercy. The only thing that can change things are changed hearts by the Lord.

And believe it or not, I have actually started fasting every Wednesday until 4pm. And I am enjoying it as it makes me focus on what is important. God has been so good to me and my family.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dermdoc
AG
And back to the op. I am reading a book right now called Surprised by the Power of the Spirit by Jack Deere. He was a cessationist minister, trained in a seminary that frowned upon faith healing, extremely skeptical, and became convinced due to personal experiences. And not Benny Hinn stuff, but low key experiences with different people. Fascinating and very compelling.

Sometimes I wonder if the modern church has lost members and frankly it's way because it denies and ignores the loving power of the Holy Spirit. God is very, very powerful and and very, very good. Yet we seem to spend more time arguing theology rather than enjoying the Spirit's presence and all of our many blessings.
UTExan
dermdoc said:

And back to the op. I am reading a book right now called Surprised by the Power of the Spirit by Jack Deere. He was a cessationist minister, trained in a seminary that frowned upon faith healing, extremely skeptical, and became convinced due to personal experiences. And not Benny Hinn stuff, but low key experiences with different people. Fascinating and very compelling.

Sometimes I wonder if the modern church has lost members and frankly it's way because it denies and ignores the loving power of the Holy Spirit. God is very, very powerful and and very, very good. Yet we seem to spend more time arguing theology rather than enjoying the Spirit's presence and all of our many blessings.

I had a discussion with a friend who is Orthodox about spiritual gifts and he related that he knew of several Orthodox Church people who manifested gifts of healing. They were very quiet and humble about it.
dermdoc
AG
I think you would like the book I mentioned.

One funny moment was when Deere was told about half the people at a healing service he was leading(at an Anglican Church in England of all places) would be non Christians. He replied Well at least they have not been taught healing has ceased like the people in the church have.
UTExan
Thanks, doc. I will try that book because I know of many people in the charismatic/Pentecostal tradition whose gifts (prophecy, encouragement, healing, ) from Catholic, Methodist, AG, etc function quietly instead of having the sideshow qualities we often see and which IMHO hurts the Christian witness to the world.
Daddy
AG
Larry Lajitas said:

You mentioned before that Pentecostals are the fastest growing denomination. What are the reasons for that?
they love fajitas

the gift of tongues is for everyone

when you pray in the spirit the carnal mind, aka, the demonic influence to your brain doesn't get into the way of the will of God by telling you it's not real or that sounds stupid, etc

but during the body if someone speaks a word in Tongues, the Lord is supposed to give someone the interpration so that the word from God is revealed
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.