Has your church opened back up....

5,167 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AgLiving06
RebelE Infantry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yes that does sound overly cautious to me. I did see something about the USCCB putting out a statement that they will not restrict Holy Communion on the tongue.

Also- tragically that is a recipe for sacrilege.

My cousin is a parishioner at St. Michael's and showed me their rules. Even worse than your parish, so at least be glad with that? Lol.
AgLiving06
swimmerbabe11 said:

edit: nm, it shouldn't be surprising. I'm glad yall will open back up soon
I didn't see your original comment, but assume it was on communion.

Yeah, I'm not thrilled with it. The way Pastor Paul, from your church, puts it, there's a split starting to occur between graduates from St. Louis and Fort Wayne. St. Louis grads tend to be more willing to try new things.

I didn't necessarily realize there was a controversy until it came up on Issues etc, and I ended up reaching out to the District President to ask what his opinion was. His opinion was more or less that Pastors had the leeway to do what they wanted and would be "forgiven" later.

If this dragged our farther, I was going to see if I could get on the list for your church. We already watch y'alls service as our "Church" each Sunday anyhow.
jkag89
aggietony2010 said:

jkag89 said:

Not yet for mass, but the church was opened for private prayer and meditation this past Monday.

Weekday masses will resume May 12th (must wear mask and gloves to attend) limit of 250 congregants The Eucharist will be distributed by clergy only (priest and deacons).

Sunday masses will resume May 17th with a reduced schedule of masses. It is hoped the full schedule of masses will be available on Pentecost Sunday.

Since the Sunday obligation to attend mass has been suspended for the time being, it is suggested, if possible, to attend a weekday mass that is likely to be less attended.

Full letter from our Pastor

That glove policy... um, wow. So let's put on gloves with possibly unwashed hands, touch all the surfaces we normally touch, dirty our hands by taking off the gloves, and then put them back on.

Whoever wrote that has no idea how germs work.
Yeah, I'm not thrilled about that either.
swimmerbabe11
yep yep yep, all the things you said. I personally find virtual communion scandalous.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Blessed to have Bishop Strickland

https://www.dioceseoftyler.org/en/news/diocesan-news/resuming-liturgies-wile-facing-covid-19

Added Masses, put in solid social distancing rules. (Every other pew, only 4 family members to a side, encouraged most vulnerable to be safe, etc).

Wife and I split up and attended different masses so that we could get a feel for it. Was refreshing and amazing to be back last weekend.

Funny thing. Mostly the older and "most vulnerable" that came. Most people my age, didn't show up? SMH...
This message has been approved by Brad, Jerry and Mitch..
747Ag
AG
SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

Blessed to have Bishop Strickland

https://www.dioceseoftyler.org/en/news/diocesan-news/resuming-liturgies-wile-facing-covid-19

Added Masses, put in solid social distancing rules. (Every other pew, only 4 family members to a side, encouraged most vulnerable to be safe, etc).

Wife and I split up and attended different masses so that we could get a feel for it. Was refreshing and amazing to be back last weekend.

Funny thing. Mostly the older and "most vulnerable" that came. Most people my age, didn't show up? SMH...

So, I couldn't go to Holy Mass and have my whole family sit together?
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Yes. You could. Y'all would take up the whole pew.

Each pew has a number on either side of it. Goal is to keep distance between families and have them sit on ends with space in middle.

Y'all would just take both numbers and no other group would sit in the same pew.

If that makes sense?
dermdoc
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

yep yep yep, all the things you said. I personally find virtual communion scandalous.
I can not even do online church anymore. Just reading the Bible and devotions. This sucks.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
diehard03
Quote:

I can not even do online church anymore. Just reading the Bible and devotions. This sucks.

I hear you, brother.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Took the whole family to Mass today. Still really hardly anyone in there. I knew my kids were loud but dadgum.... in an empty cathedral.... let's just say it echos a lot.
747Ag
AG
SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

Yes. You could. Y'all would take up the whole pew.

Each pew has a number on either side of it. Goal is to keep distance between families and have them sit on ends with space in middle.

Y'all would just take both numbers and no other group would sit in the same pew.

If that makes sense?
That's how it will work going forward in my parish (3 people per pew, or a single family). Had the director of liturgy/music and his family over for dinner last night and it was confirmed. Moreover, our family was specifically mentioned at the parish meeting. My buddy said that my family is a force to be reckoned with!
jkag89
SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

Took the whole family to Mass today. Still really hardly anyone in there. I knew my kids were loud but dadgum.... in an empty cathedral.... let's just say it echos a lot.
I'm sure they were simply "shouting joyfully" to the Lord!
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
They should know what's up when you roll up on your CAV (Catholic Assault Vehicle)
747Ag
AG
SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

They should know what's up when you roll up on your CAV (Catholic Assault Vehicle)
Walking in... it's a parade.
Crocker91
AG
No. We're not even open for folks to go and pray privately. And yes, I'll be back as soon as possible. Thinking about a road trip to places that are open so that I could attend Mass.

I'll offer this: I'm very unhappy with the number of parishes that received PPP. I think that if they were in the same economic crisis as many small businesses, most bishops and priests would be more intrepid. I understand the need to protect the vulnerable and that most priests fall into these populations due to age or health concerns. I also think many bishops could engage their younger priests to be more actively ministering.

I find the lack of manly courage consistent with the majority of immediate post-conciliar priests I have known.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
AgLiving06
swimmerbabe11 said:

Do you know why yall didn't stream last Sunday? I didn't see it come out until Monday.

Are yall back to normal worship?
swimmerbabe11
I'm really not sure. it never streams live, because we dont actually have wifi in the sanctuary. Pastor Murray still did Bible study on fb live at the normal time.
jkag89
This essay has some bearing on some of the discussion of this thread -

A Wafer-Thin Practice
by Hans Boersma - First Things
Quote:

Who would have thought that a virus would make us reflect deeply on what it means to be the church? Yet COVID-19 has brought into sharp relief the basic divide in North American Christianity between those who think of the church as a voluntary association of like-minded individuals and those who believe it is the real body of Christ, into which we are incorporated. The emphasis on the individual in large swaths of contemporary culture results in an anemic ecclesiology, as the recent crisis makes clear.

Quote:

In truth, the bodily presence of Christ in the wafer and the bodily presence of the believers in church are two sides of the same coin. Eucharist via Zoom evacuates the (ecclesial) body even while confecting the (Eucharistic) body. It's a practice that puts asunder what God has joined together.

Catholic and evangelical expressions of consumerist individualism may be located on opposite sides of the theological spectrum, but both fail to recognize that body and body, Christ and the church, are one and the same. When it comes to prioritizing the individual over the church, the difference is, well, wafer-thin.
jkag89
Minnesota's Bishops seem to have had enough and will defy state order and allow public masses. (Link)

Quote:

The bishops of Minnesota have permitted parishes to resume public Masses, and to defy a statewide order prohibiting religious gatherings exceeding 10 people.

"An order that sweeps so broadly that it prohibits, for example, a gathering of 11 people in a Cathedral with a seating capacity of several thousand defies reason," the bishops of Minnesota's six dioceses said in a May 20 statement.

"Therefore, we have chosen to move forward in the absence of any specific timeline laid out by Governor Walz and his Administration. We cannot allow an indefinite suspension of the public celebration of the Mass," the bishops added.

"We can safely resume public Masses in accordance with both our religious duties and with accepted public health and safety standards."

The bishops' letter permits parishes to resume public Masses May 26.

Parishes are not obliged to begin public Masses that day, the bishops said, and those which do will need to meet stringent requirements established by the Church, including a plan to limit attendance to one-third of church capacity, and follow sanitation protocols. They also said that Catholics remain dispensed from the Sunday obligation.
A Net Full of Jello
AG
Our church has been open for the previous 2 Sundays but no Sunday school. We have changed things up to where we now have 2 services. The deacons contacted their care groups to let them know which service to attend. We have had a ton of visitors since we reopened.
SECTAMU#1
No and we attend online until they do open. As of last Thursday, they say it may be a month or more before they have people attend in person.
aggietony2010
AG
Meanwhile the bishops in Washington State made a statement that they won't be having masses yet, despite Trump telling them they can.
God save the Patriarchy!
RAB91
Went back to church today for the first time since the virus hit. It depresses me a little to say this, but it was a sad experience. Yes, it was good to see my pastor and to receive communion for the first time in since early March.

However, the whole experience was just sad. The church was maybe 10-15% full (25% max is allowed). Hardly anybody looks at each other. Almost no greetings once in the pew. Nobody sings (who wants to sing with a mask on)...

The interesting part was almost half of the attendees were in the at-risk age. The least at risk (families with young kids) were hardly in attendance.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think it will take a long time (if ever) for attendance to get back where it was.
aggietony2010
AG
Was just getting into the flow of "the new normal". 9am mass instead of Saturday evening, wearing a mask, having to wait until everyone who wants to receive on the hand does so before receiving on the tongue, having to sign in.

And now we get a nice freaky e-mail at midnight saying Mass and confessions are suspended until further notice due to potential COVID-19 exposure.
God save the Patriarchy!
Duncan Idaho
My parent church is opening. I read their plan and let out a sigh of relief.

6ft between families,
masks required at ALL times except when taking communion...which is done on a family by family setting instead of row by row
RSVP required
A few others

The average age of the congregation is probably 55. So I am glad they are being cautious
AgLiving06
My Church is now officially back and it will be nice to take Communion for the first time since March.

They were "open" the last couple of weeks, but did not offer Communion in order to push for the "at risk" people to stay home.

Finally this week it's back 100%
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.