Has your church opened back up....

5,243 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AgLiving06
RAB91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
....and if so, are you attending?

My parish reopened at 25% capacity last week, but I'm not attending yet. They're requiring reservations to help manage the crowd, and they're even dismissing folks one row at a time.

Our diocese hasn't reinstated the 'obligation' part of Sunday worship, so for now I'll keep watching church from my couch.
RangerAg87
AG
yes, and yes
diehard03
No. And I hate it.

Side note: I am really curious what the Catholic response will be Illinois's insane order that churches can't meet until a vaccine is released. Because I know this is an Aggie board - Chicago is major Catholic community.
747Ag
AG
Diocese of Orlando...

Monday, May 11
Parish churches may open to allow people to come in and pray.
Appropriate social distancing will be required.
People may be denied entrance upon arrival or asked to leave the church if the numbers become greater than social distancing would allow.
Chapels and Adoration Chapels will not be open.
Sunday Mass is Live-streamed.

Monday, May 18 Friday, May 29
Daily Mass will be celebrated and will be open to parishioners.
Appropriate social distancing will be required.
People may be denied entrance upon arrival or asked to leave the church if the numbers become greater than social distancing would allow.
Sunday Mass is Live-streamed.

Sunday, May 30-31
Holy Mass will be offered at parishes.
Mass schedules may change to accommodate appropriate social distancing.
LonghornDub
No. Episcopal Diocese of Texas - All churches closed by order of the Bishop. Watch televised services. Still miss church.
God made the country, and man made the town. William Cowper

jrico2727
AG
Yes, they have. No, I will not be attending my normal Parrish I have chosen to go to a Traditional Latin Mass Parrish where their are social distancing measures, but they are not taking "liberties" in the way that they distribute Holy Communion. I think the liberal forces in the Church and outside of the Church such as Chicago are not going to let this crisis go to waste to limit traditional Catholicism and religion in general.
RAB91
I have elderly parent with us, so it might be a while before we head back.

And I know it may be more my issue, but I have some problems with the 'regulations' put in place. For some reason the registration for seats bothers me. I guess I have Kansas City's policy on my mind.....
Frok
AG
My church is opening back up in two weeks but at limited capacity and social distancing measures in place.

We usually have two services but now will have three, possibly more if three doesn't work. Every other row will be roped off and you have to leave a distance between you and the next family. Old people get their own service (not much different than normal)

No child care yet.

dermdoc
AG
Neither Brazos Fellowship in CS or my Beaumont Church, Calder Baptist have opened up. Usually watch the online services but really, really miss church.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TxAgPreacher
S
We never fully closed. The at risk just stay home. Personal responsibility.
dermdoc
AG
I actually like that approach.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TxAgPreacher
S
To be fair, we are a country church in a county that only had 11 cases.
jkag89
Not yet for mass, but the church was opened for private prayer and meditation this past Monday.

Weekday masses will resume May 12th (must wear mask and gloves to attend) limit of 250 congregants The Eucharist will be distributed by clergy only (priest and deacons).

Sunday masses will resume May 17th with a reduced schedule of masses. It is hoped the full schedule of masses will be available on Pentecost Sunday.

Since the Sunday obligation to attend mass has been suspended for the time being, it is suggested, if possible, to attend a weekday mass that is likely to be less attended.

Full letter from our Pastor
swimmerbabe11
we have communion, 10 folks at a time, 7 days a week 3 times a day
jkag89
swimmerbabe11 said:

we have communion, 10 folks at a time, 7 days a week 3 times a day
Good Bull. Hope the folks of your congregation realize how lucky they are.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
RAB91 said:

....and if so, are you attending?

My parish reopened at 25% capacity last week, but I'm not attending yet. They're requiring reservations to help manage the crowd, and they're even dismissing folks one row at a time.

Our diocese hasn't reinstated the 'obligation' part of Sunday worship, so for now I'll keep watching church from my couch.

Never understood this. If it's not an obligation you don't have to go. But the second it becomes an obligation you must attend.
zephyr88
AG
Our church live streams 4 services every Sunday. Our church is staying with this format thru May. It's become quite the event at the house over the past 6 weeks. We've substituted church donuts with much healthier family breakfasts. Then, the family huddles around the TV and we watch church together.

When one door closes, another opens!
RebelE Infantry
AG
Interesting. Just a note- you have a canonical right to receive Holy Communion on the tongue and kneeling if you do choose. It might be something you would like to bring up with your pastor (with charity, as always). Alternatively making a spiritual communion is a great and underutilized practice.
RebelE Infantry
AG
In Houston by any chance?
jrico2727
AG
Yes, Regina Caeli
RebelE Infantry
AG
Nice, same here.
jrico2727
AG
Excellent, I will be attending the High Mass this week. I am still learning the Latin Mass so I feel somewhat out of place, but it is a very friendly and reverent community.
RebelE Infantry
AG
Awesome! We're usually at the High Mass but this week will be at the new 8:45am Low Mass. We're still relatively new to the parish ourselves. If you have any questions or anything about the TLM, I'm happy to help!
jkag89
And normally that would not be an issue. He is just following the directives of the Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston.
diehard03
Quote:

Our church live streams 4 services every Sunday. Our church is staying with this format thru May. It's become quite the event at the house over the past 6 weeks. We've substituted church donuts with much healthier family breakfasts. Then, the family huddles around the TV and we watch church together.

When one door closes, another opens!

I wouldn't call it a "another door" opening as it's a really creaky window and get's stuck sometimes.
747Ag
AG
jrico2727 said:

Excellent, I will be attending the High Mass this week. I am still learning the Latin Mass so I feel somewhat out of place, but it is a very friendly and reverent community.
Good bull. I am president of my parish's Latin Mass community/ministry (diocesan parish). Up to 2x monthly. Like RebelE Infantry, you are welcome to hit me up with questions etc...
powerbelly
AG
diehard03 said:

No. And I hate it.

Side note: I am really curious what the Catholic response will be Illinois's insane order that churches can't meet until a vaccine is released. Because I know this is an Aggie board - Chicago is major Catholic community.
That would be unconstitutional unless non-religious meetins were treated equally.
c-jags
we're still doing sunday mornings online, but they started doing Sunday night services outside this week. our small group has met over zoom for the last month and a half.
diehard03
Quote:

That would be unconstitutional unless non-religious meetins were treated equally.

The devil will be in the details, obviously. "Phase 3" has businesses opening up with capacity restrictions but gatherings limited to 10 or below. (we are not in Phase 3 yet, apparently) Publicly the governor has binned them as part of a gathering.

If it turns out that an office building is allowed to let 50 people to come back to work but a church is restricted to 10, that would be an issue.
RAB91
The tinfoil hat wearing side of me is why I don't like the idea of having to register ahead of time to attend mass.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article242596691.html

The link above is for a church in KC that has an issue with this type of requirement.
TxAgPreacher
S
powerbelly said:

diehard03 said:

No. And I hate it.

FIFY
aggietony2010
AG
jkag89 said:

Not yet for mass, but the church was opened for private prayer and meditation this past Monday.

Weekday masses will resume May 12th (must wear mask and gloves to attend) limit of 250 congregants The Eucharist will be distributed by clergy only (priest and deacons).

Sunday masses will resume May 17th with a reduced schedule of masses. It is hoped the full schedule of masses will be available on Pentecost Sunday.

Since the Sunday obligation to attend mass has been suspended for the time being, it is suggested, if possible, to attend a weekday mass that is likely to be less attended.

Full letter from our Pastor

That glove policy... um, wow. So let's put on gloves with possibly unwashed hands, touch all the surfaces we normally touch, dirty our hands by taking off the gloves, and then put them back on.

Whoever wrote that has no idea how germs work.
aggietony2010
AG
The Cardinal is being sneaky with this. As far as I know, he hasn't publicly stated this, but has been encouraging his priests to issue the restriction, probably because he knows that he can't canonically declare it.

Our parish is running 4 masses a weekend (down from 6) at 25% capacity. I'm a bit disappointed. I think they're being overly cautious. You enter a lottery for the chance to attend, which just feels icky.

The worst thing was at daily mass. The priest is distributing on the hand only, but touching his mask every 10 or so people with the same 2 fingers he's handing the Sacred Hosts with. 1, eww, germs. And 2, I am concerned that mask is not being handled in the same manner as all the other altar clothes that potentially have fragments on them.
AgLiving06
We open back up on the 17th.

We met and the decision was to wait until the "second round" of openings due to the concern for the elderly. It also gave the Church time to really line out the procedures to make people feel comfortable.

My Pastor thinks online communion is acceptable (he's wrong on this, but getting coverage from the District), but given that, they aren't in the same rush as I am to get back to in person services.
swimmerbabe11
edit: nm, it shouldn't be surprising. I'm glad yall will open back up soon
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.