Harvard's attack on Home Schooling

2,826 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TexasAggie81
AgLiving06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Has anybody been reading about the attacks Harvard has been making on Homeschooling.

First we had this article:

Risk of Homeschooling

It reads as a completely one sided article that avoids the pitfalls of the public education.

Now there's a summit planned with this charmer as the "moderator."

Harvard Summit

The debate appears to be between two people who hate home schooling and disagree about whether to regulate or ban it out right.

I don't homeschool my kids and don't intend to, but I am looking at Christian Private Schools, and it's not a far leap to go from banning/regulating home schooling to regulating private schools.

This really starts to feel much more like Harvard wanting to indoctrinate kids vs a question of education.
brownbrick
AG
So the underlying premise is that children are not yours, they are certainly not a gift from God. Nope, they are the government's, and on loan to you the parent.
AgLiving06
I think it's more than that sadly.

I think the premise is that you have no right to educate your kids. I think Harvard looks at it as Harvard (i.e the state) should be responsible for educating your kids on what is important. Anybody else with differing opinions needs to be stopped.
Frok
AG
Never been a homeschooler, but I taught my daughter how to REALLY do math during this quarantine. No more common core crap.
Post removed:
by user
UTExan
AgLiving06 said:

I think it's more than that sadly.

I think the premise is that you have no right to educate your kids. I think Harvard looks at it as Harvard (i.e the state) should be responsible for educating your kids on what is important. Anybody else with differing opinions needs to be stopped.

Since Harvard is private, maybe that speaks more to the power they exercise over the state apparatus that they seem to trust so much.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Aggie4Life02
AG
Who gives a $h:+? It's Harvard.
Martin Q. Blank
Aggie4Life02 said:

Who gives a $h:+? It's Harvard.
A LOT of politicians graduate from there?
PacifistAg
AG
I take this recent increased focus on homeschooling by Harvard as a sign that the lockdowns have exposed the educational establishment as being not quite as necessary as they think they are. We've been homeschoolers for a long time, and I've loved seeing this exposure. Now, granted, most are just doing school from home via Zoom, so most are not truly homeschooling, but I do believe parents have realized that they can do this. That scares the crap out of the educational establishment.

I'm very open about homeschooling at work, if the subject comes up. During this lockdown, I've had a lot of our managers who have been furloughed reach out to me about homeschooling resources. They're loving it, and I think we may end up losing some because they've enjoyed this time with their kids and no longer have to wonder if they could adequately homeschool. I've also had several point out that they're realizing just how unnecessary it is for kids to be stuck in a desk for 7-8 hours a day.
Frok
AG
I agree but one thing I've learned is my kids are just like me, they struggle to focus at home as well as they do at school.

commando2004
AG
Ideological extremists love being able to use the state to push their views on an impressionable young audience. It's why Hitler criminalized homeschooling in 1938 (a law still on the books in Germany today).
AgLiving06
I'm curious what program do you use for home schooling?
PacifistAg
AG
AgLiving06 said:

We unschool. We don't use a curriculum. Started out, though, pulling heavily from the Charlotte Mason program.
UTExan
You are correct. I posted on another forum that as a graduate Teaching Assistant I was shocked to discover two home schooled kids that were academic superstars in a course i team-taught. I was never educated on the benefits of home schooling until I ran across such bright, inquisitive and socially adept college students.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
AgLiving06
PacifistAg said:

AgLiving06 said:

We unschool. We don't use a curriculum. Started out, though, pulling heavily from the Charlotte Mason program.

Thanks.

I'm not looking to homeschool, bu due to a weird situation, I'm having to get very familiar with homeschooling programs.
PacifistAg
AG
Cool. Feel free to ask any questions you may have.
Post removed:
by user
Ulrich
AstroAg17 said:

How old is your kid? Homeschooling is something I can understand, but I think it becomes a worse option in high school because you have fewer resources if you get confused (that may not be true, I don't know what unschooling is).

I can't see many people doing a good job of teaching their kid math and science. Is there some mechanism in homeschooling where the kid routinely interacts with an expert?
People in my area would sometimes have one of the parents with a strong background in a subject essentially teach a class for a whole group of students. Homeschooled parents are more organized than a lot of people realize, but I do think that math tends to be the subject that is taught least well. Probably not worse than public school on average, but they tend to do a lot better in reading/writing subjects.
Post removed:
by user
Ulrich
AstroAg17 said:

Homeschool parents shouldn't be compared to the public school average. They probably have above average means, stability, and support. Being anywhere near the public school average would be a huge failure.

Group homeschooling is interesting but to me it still seems worse in almost every way than a public school class.

Edit-The icon was a misclick.
If you're trying to make a moral judgment about whether the parents are trying hard enough, then it's probably setting the bar too low. If you're trying to decide whether to send your kid to public school or homeschool them, then it's the correct question.

EDIT: for clarity, my previous post was referring to the quality of the teaching, not the educational outcome. If you meant educational outcome, then I would say that the results are far superior to public school due in large part to the factors you mentioned. However, that is anecdotal based on my experience as a homeschooler who knew a lot of homeschoolers and went to college.

I'm curious what your reasons are for believing homeschooling is worse in almost every way than public school.
Post removed:
by user
Ulrich
OK, yes. I suspect that good public schools probably have better advanced math/science teaching than all but the best homeschool experiences. Basically, homeschooling probably has more variance on STEM pedagogy. Outcomes are certainly better on average in homeschooling, but that is probably often in spite of teaching methodology. I think we agree at least 95% there.

I'll counter with three points for the overall quality of homeschool teaching methods.

First, there is a big tendency in homeschooling to make the kids figure things out on their own. "Here's the book, you have until March 15th to be ready for the test." I think that comes in handy in college and career at least as much as having already figured out freshman calculus. This might be even more true if the students tend to be top half from the standpoint of potential.

Second, a lot of homeschoolers go year round, so you don't have the summer slippage that many public school students experience.

Third, the non-STEM subjects seem to be far better in homeschooling. You can't get the same level of discussion or cover as much material in a classroom (in high school or college) as you can in a family or co-op.

So to me, the STEM part doesn't necessarily lead to "and therefore public schools are better". Especially because if you are going to college for STEM, you're going to get a ton of detailed instruction with all kinds of resources in STEM and pretty halfhearted efforts for everything else.
Post removed:
by user
Star Wars Memes Only
There are several public school alums that are not ready for STEM in college. You would not believe the number of students I had that wanted to add denominators.
Aggrad08
AG
I think on average a typical STEM parent will have more natural ability and less knowledge of high school curriculum in math and physics than typical public school teachers.

With non stem parents I'd expect it to be considerably worse.

But one on one teaching vs teaching a whole room could make up the difference.
Ulrich
Based on where each of our points are now, I don't think we disagree all that much. Although I still don't understand your comment earlier about homeschooling being worse in every way than public school, I don't agree with that but you haven't really made a thorough case for it that I can think about.

I switched out of real engineering before the upper level classes, but several of my friends growing up are engineers and doctors now. I did fine in 151/152/251 and 218/208, but it was definitely a lot more work for me than it was for the top 5-10% of A&M engineering students.

That was probably a combination of my parent who chose the courses not realizing that nowadays you're expected to come in already knowing the first year of college pretty well, and everyone around me thinking I was destined for a degree in history and a career as a professor anyway. Almost ten years after graduation and my aunt still tries to convince me to go back to grad school to pursue that career.
AgLiving06
I'm curious what's y'alls thoughts are on STEM/STEAM educations vs a Classical education?

Ulrich
AgLiving06 said:

I'm curious what's y'alls thoughts are on STEM/STEAM educations vs a Classical education?

My opinion on this has evolved a couple times and TBH is still evolving.

Every sentence in here should have a qualifier that this is only my opinion. For readability I've left those out. I've also shortened things that deserve a more nuanced treatment. And I'm using STEM, I've not been able to figure out the value of the category "STEAM". I'll use "LA" as a catch-all for "not-STEAM", recognizing that it is not exactly accurate, and CE for Classical Education.

TL;DR: We need to make sure college helps the typical student. The CE paradigm, especially in its guise as a core curriculum, does not serve the typical college student in 2020.

We've forgotten that the traditional CE was intended for people who are already wealthy or connected. The expectation that everyone ought to incur >$100,000 in costs* to obtain an education that suits them for a life of erudite 18th century salon conversations is a little bit odd. The core curriculum idea in college should be jettisoned because college has a different mission than it used to.

The mission has become to prepare students for careers. Plenty of people deny that, but it's true. Classes in a student's major (STEM or LA) are difficult, time consuming, and thorough. Electives and core classes are either trivial or repeats of things already done in high school. Thus, the college is acting as though it is a job preparation program. Students almost all intend to use their degree to go into a career in that field. When they leave college with debt and either can't get a job or don't make enough in the field to pay their debt, they are irate. They couch their anger in terms of return on investment. Thus, the students also act as though it is a job preparation program.

Attempting to dismiss that vision of college by calling it vocational school doesn't bother me. That's what it is in 2020. That's how our society is organized, and the institutions and students follow, whether they openly admit it or not.

To the extent that we want to make sure everyone has a certain base of skills and knowledge, we need to do that somewhere everyone goes. That's high school, because not everyone goes to college.

College should primarily be organized into degrees intended to suit graduates for careers. That should include preparation for careers in LA (in the context of a reformed educational finance system; one option is noted in the asterisk below). What we talk about colleges doing with core curricula is not what happens. LA students aren't learning STEM from their STEM classes. STEM students aren't learning critical thinking or getting a classical education from their LA classes.

If students want to broaden their education from their major, they should get a minor and those minors should be real, tough classes where you learn a lot about the subject. Or they can self-educate, which is quite possible especially now with the internet. That's the path I'm following.

I hold a STEM degree and now spend an enormous amount of time educating myself on philosophy, literature, history, economics, and the arts. But that wasn't the career I wanted. The LA classes I took had little educational value, but they took money and an extra semester of class hours. That is time and money that I didn't have. I may go back and get another degree, even start a second career, but I'll do it when I can afford it.

I absolutely believe in the value of a classical education, but I do not believe that society is best served by attempting to force 30% or more of the population to have one. A portion of the pathologies of the current educational system are rooted in our attempts to do it in spite what people and society really want. In a different world, that wouldn't be true.

For example, I would be perfectly happy hiring a new graduate with a CE to be an accountant or an analyst. They have to be trained anyway, and if they did a good job on a rigorous classical program they are capable of learning the basics of the job as quickly as a business major. If enough managers in enough professions felt that way, and enough students had enough interest to stick it out, then putting 80% of college students through some variant of a CE** would be a valid solution***. But they don't, so it isn't.

*Whether they pay the costs or someone else does. How to finance college is a separate discussion, but here's one option: If you're old enough to vote and live on your own, you're old enough to know whether or not you should sign for a loan. Keeping the student responsible for paying, making loans dischargable in bankruptcy, and removing government backing will align the economic incentive of the financing with the way society treats education and result in students doing a better job of selecting career paths and institutions doing a better job of preparing students.

**One option would be ground up classical education, another would be trimming "major classes" back to the equivalent of a minor and expanding the core curricula to be a much more challenging and robust course of study.

***Some careers are so technical that they probably require years of specific training, and so there may always be a place for some "vocational" degrees regardless of the general thoughts on CE. I don't know that I like the idea of IT and engineering professions needing to complete an MS before they can get a real job.
Ulrich
Glad I kept that short....
AgLiving06
What are your thoughts about it being taught in K-8 and then through high school?

I agree as you get to college you need to be more focused in, but at the lower levels?
Ulrich
AgLiving06 said:

What are your thoughts about it being taught in K-8 and then through high school?

I agree as you get to college you need to be more focused in, but at the lower levels?

If the students can handle it, then absolutely, but you definitely run into an issue with how much a school can teach to a broad range of students.

I need to think this through longer than I have time for right now (grammar / logic may be a little shoddy in this post), but I basically break it down into:
Things everyone needs to know (finish teaching these by the end of 9th grade when the dropout and pregnancy rates increase)
Things that are good to know (can sprinkle them in throughout the way, but probably really ramp them up after grade 9)
Things that make a child into a well-educated adult (there has to be some kind of bifurcation here, and there are a lot of ways to do it, but there's no way you'll get all American children up this slope within the current system)

If college is more specialized and improves its pedagogy, then you don't have to have all the college-bound kids spending their last couple years working on stuff that they are going to repeat in college. There's more latitude to form guided study groups or accelerated classes for literature, history, economics, and so on. These fields will provide employment to some (probably the ones who really separate in those subjects if high schools are able to get deeper into them), but NOT to all of the kids who are capable of being professionals in those fields.

The main thing is that if you decide big chunks of your population have to have well-rounded educations, do it in a place where your whole population has to go. Don't wait for college, which is theoretically optional. And if only 5% or 10% of the population is capable of achieving that education, then why are we trying to force so many more to do it in college OR high school.
AgLiving06
Thanks for the detail!

Loosely I'm part of a board looking to bring in a christian private school to our campus to replace one that failed. I suspect it will be ~100 students in k-8 if we can make it successful.

We've interviewed a pretty prominent classical homeschool program who is trying to expand, and there's another more STEAM focused one we haven't talked to yet, but is on the list.

I'm more comfortable with the classical education, but it's really light on computers which I really do think the future generation will need.

STEAM is good, but I'm concerned it misses the logic and languages that really are in someways more valuable than math/sciences.
Ulrich
I'll come back to this thread, but keep in mind that I'm just some guy and I tend to be pretty heterodox. I hope that I lay things out in a way that is helpful for thinking through them, but take anything I say with a grain of salt.
AgLiving06
Ulrich said:

I'll come back to this thread, but keep in mind that I'm just some guy and I tend to be pretty heterodox. I hope that I lay things out in a way that is helpful for thinking through them, but take anything I say with a grain of salt.

No worries. If it helps, I'm solicting feedback from anybody who will give it.

The board I'm on is meeting this week and I'm looking to get as much information I can to make sure we make the best decision possible and the more opinions I can get the better.

Thanks!
PacifistAg
AG
AstroAg17 said:

How old is your kid? Homeschooling is something I can understand, but I think it becomes a worse option in high school because you have fewer resources if you get confused (that may not be true, I don't know what unschooling is).

I can't see many people doing a good job of teaching their kid math and science. Is there some mechanism in homeschooling where the kid routinely interacts with an expert?

My kids are 14 & 11. I just wanted to respond quickly to let you know I did see your question and will respond later. Been a distracting weekend.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.