Church turnover as a result of the pandemic

5,122 Views | 84 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 94chem
Burdizzo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I will admit, I have been a little frustrated with my church for the last few years. One reason being our pastor just does not give very inspiring sermons. Since so many churches are holding services online I have been trying to take advantage of the convenience of so many preachers being within easy access. If I find a good one, we might just change churches.

Is anyone else going through the same thing?
94chem
After my church mucked out my house after Harvey and provided meals during chemo, I don't really care if the sermons are good or not. Also, if I die and I need somebody to proclaim Christ at my funeral, I know they'll get the job done.
hellapark
AG
We live in small town with not many options.
We attend the local Baptist Church which is very traditional and old school. Not the most inspiring preaching either, so we have been watching Matt Chandler at The Village which has been a breath of fresh air.

We will continue to attend once all this mess is over and we're allowed. The fellowship and community is so important despite not having the worship or preaching we desire.

What better time than now to turn our hearts back to God and put our trust wholly in him!
Barnyard96
AG
Having a talented preacher is a plus, but church is also about fellowship. Just my two cents.

Strike One
Also, a local church provides a special place for you to both praise God and pray for His help together with other believers regardless of the quality of preaching (although that does help!).
UpstateAg
AG
A seminary professor told us, people will forgive C+ preaching if they know their pastor loves and shepherds them well. We also had preaching labs tear us apart.
This has been an interesting time for us to find ways to engage our local body. We're checking on our older members and those with underlying conditions, holding our normal service with just four people present on Thursday to upload for Sunday, and still spending hours a day talking with people and doing counseling. This week, we've got some online stuff lined up: Online zoom prayer meetings, hymn sings, ten minute devotional, and having members send questions to talk about on Facebook live or YouTube.
It's different, but the preaching of the gospel has to happen. We can never neglect the means of grace.
Rusty GCS
AG
I'm a catholic. Pope said we can temporarily confess sins direct to God.

Gonna be a lot of Catholics first time to confess in decades.
Buck Compton
AG
Rusty GCS said:

Ditch the Hail Marys and you're basically Lutherans now!
UpstateAg
AG
Once you go directly to the great high priest, you never go back.
Burdizzo
AG
UpstateAg said:

A seminary professor told us, people will forgive C+ preaching if they know their pastor loves and shepherds them well. We also had preaching labs tear us apart.
This has been an interesting time for us to find ways to engage our local body. We're checking on our older members and those with underlying conditions, holding our normal service with just four people present on Thursday to upload for Sunday, and still spending hours a day talking with people and doing counseling. This week, we've got some online stuff lined up: Online zoom prayer meetings, hymn sings, ten minute devotional, and having members send questions to talk about on Facebook live or YouTube.
It's different, but the preaching of the gospel has to happen. We can never neglect the means of grace.

You are kind of hitting at some of the issues I have with my church. I won't get into a lot of detail, but there is an overall big picture issue I have with where my current church is going and the shepherd that is leading the flock. The preaching is just one facet, but if I am excited about the Word it helps me back each week. Right now it is one reason I struggle each week to show up. I wouldn't change churches just for the sermon, but if the preacher is delivering a message that speaks to me, I might be inclined to visit once this situation passes.
dr_boogs
AG
What area of the state?
dr_boogs
AG
Matt Chandler is solid. He's an Aggie. Came through Central when he was at A&M, mentored by Chris Osborne for a long time. I listen to him preach when I get a chance. He's definitely doing God's work over in Austin!
Burdizzo
AG
dr_boogs said:

What area of the state?

San Antonio. Lutheran
UpstateAg
AG
I'm a PCA pastor (Tim Keller is our most "famous" guy) but in the southeast so not too knowledgeable about San Antonio churches. Check out Redeemer SA's site/sermons. Tom Gibbs is the Senior Pastor there.
I appreciate the Lutheran church. Daughter goes to Lutheran pre school. Just have no idea about SA churches.
Shawdawg
AG
I feel like I was once in your same place and feel that I have now found a pastor that delivers a heartfelt and inspiring sermon. I came across Vista Community Church, www.vistacommunity.org
If you don't live on the edge, you can't see the view
BrandoC
AG
Many preachers these days are inspirational speakers but do not preach from the Bible. A lot of mega churches play into this narrative. I hear people all the time bash small town Baptist churches because their preachers say something from the Bible that they do not want to hear.That leads people joining churches that have false belief in what the church is actually about. Sad times.
JYDog90
AG
dr_boogs said:

Matt Chandler is solid. He's an Aggie. Came through Central when he was at A&M, mentored by Chris Osborne for a long time. I listen to him preach when I get a chance. He's definitely doing God's work over in Austin!

He isn't in Austin. He's in the Metroplex
DrZ
AG
Dr Boggs. I think he is talking about a different Matt Chandler. Big TV and internet presence out of Flower Mound.
jarichter
Willy Wonka said:

dr_boogs said:

I believe dr_boogs meant Matt Carter, who is the pastor of Austin Stone.
yell_on_6th st
AG
Buck Compton said:

Rusty GCS said:

Truth
fairrobh
AG
Yes, Matt Chandler didn't go to A&M, but he is a self-proclaimed fan. I believe one of his best friends growing up played football for A&M?
Tramp96
LCMS Lutheran. My pastor will never be confused with Billy Graham, but he preaches Law and Gospel every single week and, before the pandemic, administered the sacrament of holy communion every week.

When you preach Christ and him crucified, you don't have to worry about a pandemic.
DeSantis 2024
FriscoKid
AG
Fellow Lutheran here. Ours was on Luke 12:13-21....

Read it, because it's kind of appropriate right now. We've built some really fancy barns and silos for ourselves and pushed God to the backburner. We made other things more important. It's cool when things are going great, but what happens when they aren't?

The price has been paid. Sin and death and decay suck, but there is one that has redeemed you and your family. It's going to be OK.
Ragoo
AG
Rusty GCS said:

God himself said the same thing 2000 years ago.
dr_boogs
AG
jarichter said:

Willy Wonka said:

dr_boogs said:

I believe dr_boogs meant Matt Carter, who is the pastor of Austin Stone.

Oops, my reading comprehension on this one is terrible. Yes, Matt Carter. My mistake, carry on.
Rusty GCS
AG
Buck Compton said:

Rusty GCS said:

Y'all play the same music? I've been singing Eye Has Not Seen and One Bread One Body too long to change now
AnScAggie
AG
Where I live we have a lot of church choices but if you find one that doesn't have a rock band let me know.
Buck Compton
AG
Rusty GCS said:

Buck Compton said:

Rusty GCS said:

Y'all play the same music? I've been singing Eye Has Not Seen and One Bread One Body too long to change now
Touch. A lot of the same music, but not identical... Plus there's less Latin and less kneeling, but you still do some answer and response and recite the creeds, so it's a good transition for reforming Catholics.

I married Catholic, so I've been the both types plenty.
WestAustinAg
AG
dr_boogs said:

Is he at Austin Stone or The Village Church in N Dallas?
P.H. Dexippus
AG
AnScAggie said:

Where I live we have a lot of church choices but if you find one that doesn't have a rock band let me know.

There has got to be a "market", if you will, for an evangelical Protestant church that sings from a hymnal accompanied by a pipe organ.
"[When I was a kid,] I wanted to be a pirate. Thank God no one took me seriously and scheduled me for eye removal and peg leg surgery."- Bill Maher
Wheatables02
AG
Willy Wonka said:

dr_boogs said:

I'm so confused. Is there another Matt Chandler other than the one at the Village in Flower Mound?

Edit -someone answered this already.
EKUAg
AG
Buck Compton said:

Rusty GCS said:

Still have to go confess mortal sins once confessions can again be heard.
Maroon and White always! EKU/TAMU
diehard03
Catholic sideswipes and misnaming a reformed preacher? This thread has it all.

I'm in the "Commit to the local body, not the preacher" camp. Attend/be a member at the closest denomination to your house and be the change you want to see.
Burdizzo
AG
diehard03 said:

Catholic sideswipes and misnaming a reformed preacher? This thread has it all.

I'm in the "Commit to the local body, not the preacher" camp. Attend/be a member at the closest denomination to your house and be the change you want to see.

What if the church closest to you is Jehovah's witnesses?
UpstateAg
AG
I'm just glad the reformed peeps are getting some love!
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.