The older will serve the younger

1,081 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Martin Q. Blank
BusterAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Going through Genesis, looking at the patriarchs, and this is a common theme:

Isaac was younger than Ishmael
Jacob was younger the Esau
Josephs sons, Ephraim was younger then Manasseh

It is a curious repetition.

I have seen some commentary by secular scholars that this was related to the politics of the tribes in Canaan / Israel. I'm not really interested in a discussion about that.

I was wondering if anyone has read or knows of a reference on the significance of this from a Biblical perspective. I have not been able to identify any due to the amount of information about the political view.
booboo91
My cents - God constantly throughout the Bible uses the weak to show his dominance. Also common phrase ( paraphrase) not through man's eyes but Gods eyes does he judge.

King David, Joseph are other examples of the young/ youngest/ weak who dominant. They are not the first born. first born had the power and the influence.

So no matter the pecking order- caste system which you were born into. With God, anything is possible if you let God work through you. Often the weak and lowest are the most humble- God is able to work through them.

Also see Jesus humble birth. Why not have him born to king Herod or Caesar Augustus, or the high priests- the powerful? That is how mankind would do it.

booboo91
Also from catholic perspective (for what it is worth) - Virgin Mary always appeared to the weak, poor to spread her message of turning toward her son and repenting. They were not rich, powerful-like local leaders or even catholic Bishop.

Our lady of Guadalupe - poor Indian convert- Juan Diego, Fatima- 3 young poor children , Lourdes - young poor girl- Bernadette.
Win At Life
AG
Also Moses was the younger brother of Aaron.
Win At Life
AG
The first shall be last and the last shall be first.
BusterAg
AG
So, the more I read about this, the more that I think that the idea that might != right is an important message here.

Israel was a tiny country with a small army that could have been taken out by many of its neighbors. Thinking about the time period, where the largest army gets to make the rules, the idea that it is better to be thoughtful or spiritual than big seems to be at play.

Still researching. I appreciate the comments so far.
AgLiving06
BusterAg said:

How is nobody else seeing this?
BusterAg
AG
AgLiving06 said:

BusterAg said:

How is nobody else seeing this?
Everyone else is kinder about cell phone mistypes.

Swype as cool but not perfect.

That said, this os a really funny call out. I literately laughed out loud.
Martin Q. Blank
BusterAg said:

Going through Genesis, looking at the patriarchs, and this is a common theme:

I have seen some commentary by secular scholars that this was related to the politics of the tribes in Canaan / Israel. I'm not really interested in a discussion about that.

I was wondering if anyone has read or knows of a reference on the significance of this from a Biblical perspective. I have not been able to identify any due to the amount of information about the political view.
From a Jewish perspective, it is significant. Culturally, and by the law, the older (especially the firstborn) has more honor, inheritance, etc.

To say that the opposite is to occur shows God's sovereignty over everything which is why Romans 9 quotes it as an example. He is not subject to the law and can do as he pleases.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.