What inspirational writers/books do you regularly read other than the Bible?

4,874 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by dermdoc
LonghornDub
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mine:

Our Daily Walk - F B Meyer
God is with You Every Day - Max Lucado
Provoking Thoughts - Russell Levenson
God made the country, and man made the town. William Cowper

UTExan
Streams in the Desert

Anything by Clive Staples Lewis.
Sb1540
CS Lewis, NT Wright, early church Fathers (endless resources here), Dallas Willard.
LonghornDub
I've been reading for over 70 years and never got around to C S Lewis. Thanks for reminding me. Two excellent RC books are The Imitation of Christ by Tomas a'Kempis and The Story of a Soul by Therese of Lesieux.

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
AG
Thomas Merton is by far my favorite writer.
Civil04
AG
Currently reading the "Cost of Discipleship" by Bonhoeffer. Its quite convicting.
jkag89
The Imitation of Christ - Thomas á Kempis
LonghornDub
Civil04 said:

Currently reading the "Cost of Discipleship" by Bonhoeffer. Its quite convicting.
Excellent book, as are the others by him that were assembled by his friend and disciple. There is also a recent great biography by Metaxis. Bonhoeffer's life and theology are fascinating. His arguments against cheap grace are convincing.

Ordhound04
AG
I've loved loved loved reading "Orthodoxy" by GK Chesterton.

He is witty, insightful, and not overly academic in his writing.
Aggie kith and kin
My Utmost For His Highest / Oswald Chambers. I have been reading this daily for 25 years, along with the Bible. I can not begin to describe the profound effect Chamber's work has had on my relationship with my Creator, His Son, and the Holy Spirit.
94chem
James Montgomery Boice.
Alexander Solzhenitsyn is next on my list.
Most recently I read Cry, the Beloved Country.
The Spirit of the Rainforest, by Mark Ritchie, is one of the most inspirational books I've read.
LonghornDub
Aggie kith and kin said:

NMy Utmost For His Highest / Oswald Chambers. I have been reading this daily for 25 years, along with the Bible. I can not begin to describe the profound effect Chamber's work has had on my relationship with my Creator, His Son, and the Holy Spirit.
I went online, read about OC, got My Utmost for His Highest on my Kindle, read March 19th, and am adding him to my daily reading. Thank you.

dermdoc
AG
Daily readings include A Daily Walk by FB Meyer(thanks Dub)
A year with the Church Fathers, Meditations for every day of the year
Orthodox app and Prayer book
Anglican book of common prayer daily office. Again thanks Dub. I do the morning, noon, and try to do the evening, and compline
Youversion Holy Bible app-really enjoy this as it has plans from five days to forty days for Lent. Each day of the plan has a devotional and Bible verse
Alistair Begg daily devotional
Really enjoy NT Wright, CS Lewis, JD Meyers, Bradley Jersak, and Julie Ferwerda. And the last three are more Christian Universalists which I lean towards.

And yes I also do a Joseph Prince and Joel Osteen daily devotional. And listen to Joel Osteen radio on Sirius xm all the time.

And I even pray the Rosary most days. Anything to get me closer to God. Best feeling ever.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dermdoc
AG
A new daily devotional I am really enjoying is the Seedbed Daily text.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PacifistAg
AG
LonghornDub said:

Civil04 said:

Excellent book, as are the others by him that were assembled by his friend and disciple. There is also a recent great biography by Metaxis. Bonhoeffer's life and theology are fascinating. His arguments against cheap grace are convincing.

I'd recommend caution when putting too much in Metaxis' work on Bonhoeffer. There has been much critique of that book from Bonhoeffer scholars.
LonghornDub
Aggie kith and kin said:

My Utmost For His Highest / Oswald Chambers. I have been reading this daily for 25 years, along with the Bible. I can not begin to describe the profound effect Chamber's work has had on my relationship with my Creator, His Son, and the Holy Spirit.
I am still reading each day's entry and am enjoying very much. Thanks again.

ExtremeRush
AG
New Morning Mercies has been a phenomenal morning devo!
LonghornDub
PacifistAg said:

LonghornDub said:

Civil04 said:

I'd recommend caution when putting too much in Metaxis' work on Bonhoeffer. There has been much critique of that book from Bonhoeffer scholars.
There is disagreement about the events on the day he was hanged. While one supposition is more dramatic than the other, neither detracts from Bonhoeffer's worth or the value of the book in my opinion.

Frok
AG
With the recent news of his terminal cancer I feel the need to mention Ravi Zacharias. I recently have read "Jesus Among Secular Gods"
AsburyAg
AG
The Complete Works of EM Bounds on Prayer.

I read it every few years. Always touches my spirit and refreshes me.
fightinags2013
AG
I read everything Tim Keller publishes. If you've been wanting to read him, but would be new to his work, "Prodigal God" is the best place to start, and it isn't very long. If you are a skeptic/secularist/seeker or have friends/family who are, then i'd recommend "Making Sense of God"
(removed:110205)
Seneca and Marcus Aurelius.
LonghornDub
In Metaxas' book Seven Men there is an excellent chapter on Jackie Robinson detailing his and the GM's faith and the role they played in breaking baseball's color line. He also has two books for liberals named "Donald Builds the Wall" and "Donald Drains the Swamp".

Aggie kith and kin
My Utmost For His Highest / May 26 / I Thessalonians 5:17 Pray without ceasing.

We think rightly or wrongly about prayer according to the conception we have in our minds about prayer. If we think of prayer as the breath in our lungs and the blood from our hearts, we think rightly. The blood flows ceaselessly, and breathing continues ceaselessly.......
Prayer is not an exercise, it is life.......
Jesus never mentioned unanswered prayer. He had the boundless certainty that prayer is always answered.....
God answers prayer in the best way, not sometimes, but every time, although the immediate manifestation of the answer in the domain in which we want it may not always follow......
The danger with us is that we want to water down the things that Jesus says and make them mean something in accordance with common sense; if it were only common sense, it was not worth while for Him to say it. The things Jesus says about prayer are supernatural revelations.

Oswald Chambers: Classic Edition
svaggie
AG
Disappointment With God by Philip Yancey
Heaven by Randy Alcott are two of my favorites
PacifistAg
AG
LonghornDub said:

In Metaxas' book Seven Men there is an excellent chapter on Jackie Robinson detailing his and the GM's faith and the role they played in breaking baseball's color line. He also has two books for liberals named "Donald Builds the Wall" and "Donald Drains the Swamp".
Yes, I know he loves to carry water for the immoral lately.

Oh, and I'm not a liberal. As for his work on Bonhoeffer, he basically paints a picture of Bonhoeffer through the lens of American evangelicalism. It's not who Bonhoeffer was.
texag_89
For those of you who would like to read a Classical list of Writings that covers the gambit and will keep you grounded in the Holy and Ancient Faith guarded by Tradition and the Scholastic Framework of the Eternal Doctor himself, St. Thomas, I suggest Fr. Hardon's Lifetime Reading List:

https://docs.google.com/viewerng/viewer?url=http://www.acountrypriest.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/hardon.pdf

Aggie kith and kin
My Utmost for His Highest / Sept 1 / I Peter 1:16 / Destiny of Holiness

Continually restate to yourself what the purpose of your life is. The destined end of man is not happiness,
nor health, but holiness. Nowadays we have far too many affinities, we are dissipated with them; right, noble
affinities which will yet have their fulfillment, but in the meantime God has to atrophy them. The one thing that
matters is whether a man will accept the God Who will make him holy. At all costs a man must be rightly related to God.
Do I believe I need to be holy? Do I believe God can come into me and make me holy? If by your preaching
you convince me that I am unholy, I resent your preaching. The preaching of the gospel awakens an intense
resentment because it must reveal that I am unholy; but it also awakens an intense craving. God has one
destined end for mankind,a...holiness. His one aim is the production of saints. God is not an eternal blessing
machine for men; He did not come to save men out of pity; He came to save men because He had created
them to be holy. The Atonement means that God can put me back into perfect union with HImself, without
a shadow between, through the Death of Jesus Christ.
Never tolerate through sympathy with yourself or with others any practice that is not in keeping with a Holy
God. Holiness means an unsullied walking with the feet, unsullied talking with the tongue, unsullied thinking
with the mind.....every detail of the life under the scrutiny of God. Holiness is not only what God gives me, but
what I manifest that God has given me.

Oswald Chambers / Classic Edition
Aggie kith and kin
My Utmost For His Highest / November 22 / I Corinthians 10:31

Beware of allowing yourself to think that the shallow concerns of life are not ordained of God; they are as much of God as the profound. It is not your devotion to God that makes you refuse to be shallow, but your wish to impress other people with the fact that you are not a spiritual prig.

Determinedly take no one seriously but God, and the first person you find you have to leave severely alone as being the greatest fraud you have ever known, is yourself.

Oswald Chambers / Classic Edition
Agilaw
AG
Need to research about Tim Keller before you put stock in anything he says.
dermdoc
AG
May I ask why? Thanks.
Agilaw
AG
Not sure where you stand on issues of faith, so it's best for me to say do a google search on issues with Tim Keller's theology and see what you think.
dermdoc
AG
The Apostle's Creed states my beliefs. I did a little search and think he agrees with me on basic Orthodox Christian beliefs.

And forgive me if I am mistaken, but the main criticisms if his church has female(unordained) deacons(which is Biblical by my reading of Scripture), focuses too much on urban and SJW missions instead of the Gospel,and he is friendly with the Catholic Church.

Those do not bother me, so I guess we will agree to disagree.

God bless
Agilaw
AG
Theistic evolutionist; Thoughts on hell; Marxist leanings ... Did you search any of these and Keller?
dermdoc
AG
Only the Marxist part of that bothers me. I do not believe in ECT hell.

And I know that the Apostle's Creed states that Christ descended into Hell, but by my take He emptied it. It is finished.

And theistic evolution is science, not theology in my opinion. Does not impact my faith one way or the other.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.