C.S. Lewis and the Coronavirus

1,392 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Sb1540
Demosthenes81
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A friend posted this on Facebook and I though I would share here:

"On Living in an Atomic Age" (1948) in Present Concerns: Journalistic Essays
Quote:

In one way we think a great deal too much of the atomic bomb. "How are we to live in an atomic age?" I am tempted to reply: "Why, as you would have lived in the sixteenth century when the plague visited London almost every year, or as you would have lived in a Viking age when raiders from Scandinavia might land and cut your throat any night; or indeed, as you are already living in an age of cancer, an age of syphilis, an age of paralysis, an age of air raids, an age of railway accidents, an age of motor accidents."

In other words, do not let us begin by exaggerating the novelty of our situation. Believe me, dear sir or madam, you and all whom you love were already sentenced to death before the atomic bomb was invented: and quite a high percentage of us were going to die in unpleasant ways. We had, indeed, one very great advantage over our ancestorsanesthetics; but we have that still. It is perfectly ridiculous to go about whimpering and drawing long faces because the scientists have added one more chance of painful and premature death to a world which already bristled with such chances and in which death itself was not a chance at all, but a certainty.

This is the first point to be made: and the first action to be taken is to pull ourselves together. If we are all going to be destroyed by an atomic bomb, let that bomb when it comes find us doing sensible and human thingspraying, working, teaching, reading, listening to music, bathing the children, playing tennis, chatting to our friends over a pint and a game of dartsnot huddled together like frightened sheep and thinking about bombs. They may break our bodies (a microbe can do that) but they need not dominate our minds.
Pretty apt for today I thihk.
cavscout96
Sb1540
"There will be wars and rumors of wars and all kinds of catastrophes, as there always are. Things will be, in that sense, normal, the hour before the heavens roll up like a scroll. You cannot guess it." - The Worlds Last Night
Sb1540
"What modern Christians find it harder to remember is that the whole life of humanity in this world is also precarious, temporary, provisional." -The Worlds Last Night

I love this essay. Had an argument with a friend about the negative consequences of this virus. I personally thought a lot of good can from it. One of the highest church attendance in the US was during the Cold War. This disruption from modern life can turn people to family, neighbors, and God.
Zobel
AG
The whole idea of flattening the curve to combat a disease with baseline <1% mortality is an indictment of narcissism and an exercise in other-centric living.

Love God is the greatest and also like it is love others as yourself. Everything flows from that.
Tmoneyag99
AG
what has been will be again, what had been done will be done again. There is nothing new under the son.

Ecclesiastes 1:9
BusterAg
AG
k2aggie07 said:

The whole idea of flattening the curve to combat a disease with baseline <1% mortality is an indictment of narcissism and an exercise in other-centric living.

Love God is the greatest and also like it is love others as yourself. Everything flows from that.
Man, I just don't know here. This seems a little extreme.

The problem with this disease is that we just don't know enough about it. There is a lot of ignorance, because it is new, so we just don't know the right thing to do to address it.

Example: Houston has historically high oak pollen in the air right now. Every year in the past, when oak pollen happens, my whole family starts coughing, and I can even run a low grade fever.

So, here is my family, all hacking around all day, three out of four of us have conjunctivitis, and we honestly don't know if we will eventually be in danger. We just take our temperatures every morning and assume the best, that this is just a really bad allergy year for us. In the mean time, we are holed up in our house, just in case we have a mild case of the virus. We don't want to be part of the problem.

The only dangerous part of this disease is people with really bad respiratory issues or high fever if they can't get medical aid. Trying to make sure that medical aid capacity is higher than medical demand seems sensible to me.

In the mean time, we have a cure for the anxiety that is infecting most of the world right now: faith. Not every one has that gift. We are trying to be compassionate with our friends that are more worked up, and setting an example of having a level head without being too judgmental or preachy.

Now is a great time to love on your neighbors and show what a difference in life real faith can have.
Sb1540
k2aggie07 said:

I agree that the virus seems overplayed outside of the issue of overwhelming hospitals but since we live in a secular world we have to deal with the actions of governments and corporations who run the show. This is a perfect example of how our earthly freedom is truly limited and easily controlled by the powers at be. It's still not bad out there but it's certainly a massive shift from ordinary life. My hope is that more people can turn to God and loved ones just off the fact that a disruption from the every day flow of things has occurred.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.