vengeance

1,099 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by booboo91
Martin Q. Blank
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We are to strive to be like Christ and follow his example. Except in this area of vengeance. Why does God exact vengeance, but then call us not to?

2 Thess. 2:1 since indeed God considers it just to repay with affliction those who afflict you

Rom. 12:19 Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, "Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord."
jrico2727
AG
How many people are truly just when seeking vengeance? Divine judgement far surpasses our own.
diehard03
Quote:

2 Thess. 2:1 since indeed God considers it just to repay with affliction those who afflict you

it's actually 2 Thess 1:6, and a quick read suggests that it's refering to God being just in seeking his own vengeance.

so, I don't know that it's relevant for your actual question.
Martin Q. Blank
jrico2727 said:

How many people are truly just when seeking vengeance? Divine judgement far surpasses our own.
Can't this be said for any other attribute? Us not being perfect does not mean we don't try.
AggieAdvisor16
AG
I think it means you proceed with extreme caution and your best effort at doing so in humility. Jesus getting upset with the money changers at the temple is proof of the existence of righteous anger. But Jesus has infinitely better judgment than I do, so I should approach those feelings in me with caution.
booboo91
To the op- taking life, setting things right( vengeance) and judging is all of God's responsibility and not ours.

He is God we are not. God gives us life and ends it. God judges, we don't. God sees the big picture, we don't. God sets things right going into the next life - heaven and hell.

I always get a kick when folks get upset in Bible when God commands someone to die. 1- it is Within God's power and authority, especially if you realIze every breath we have is from him. 2- typically there is a big picture view we fail to focus on.

Example- pharaoh of Egypt condemn the male Jews to be drowned in Nile. We see bounce back. First born Egyptian male die by angel of death( Passover) and we see part of Pharos army drown.
Sb1540
jrico2727 said:

Yes the omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient God sees beyond all human understanding. Also there is no difference from the Old Testament God and Jesus. Jesus comes back as the Judge and has all authority to do so.
booboo91
Marcion would disagree with you!!

As you know: he was heretic, in 2nd century- tried to design his own Bible cannon, he believe in 2 different gods of the OT and the NT because he could not grasp the difference styles of the NT and OT. He did not like the god of the OT.

Funny story is st . Polycarp, was ignoring Marcion, and Marcion approaches Polycarp and demands he acknowledge him. Polycarp, somewhat bows and says I recognize the heir/ son of satan. (Something like that)
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.