Liturgy of the Hours

1,941 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by dermdoc
dermdoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Does anyone on here practice this Liturgy?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Serotonin
AG
Can't speak for Catholics or high church Protestants but the daily offices would be celebrated at monasteries but not parishes within the Orthodox world.

You can definitely pray the hours at home but it would be a lot of praying through the day.

k2 as always would know way more than me on this from an Orthodox perspective but I think the hours would include a lot of liturgical rubrics, so it might be more beneficial to use a Psalter and pray through that once per week if you're making it part of your personal prayer at home. That has been a standard personal Christian practice for a long time.
Zobel
AG
The hours isn't a liturgy, in orthodoxy. They're several services throughout the day. You can pray em at home, but they're a bit longish. Here's the noon office, for example. Sixth hour prayers.

https://www.goarch.org/-/at-middaY
swimmerbabe11
I try to pray the trisagion every day at 9, 12, and 3.

Quote:

In the name of the Father Son and the Holy Spirit. Amen
Gory to you our God , Glory be to Thee!

Heavenly King, Comforter, the Spirit of Truth, present in all places and filling all things, Treasury of Goodness and Giver of life: come and abide in us. Cleanse us from every stain of sin and save our souls, O Gracious Lord.

Holy God. Holy Mighty. Holy Immortal Have mercy on us.

Glory to the Father, and the Son and the Holy Spirit, both now and forever and to the ages of ages. Amen

All Holy Trinity, have mercy on us. Lord, forgive our sins. Master, pardon our transgressions. Holy One, visit and heal our infirmities, for the glory of Your Name.

Lord, have mercy.
Lord, have mercy.
Lord, have mercy.

Glory to the Father, and the Son and the Holy Spirit, both now and forever and to the ages of ages. Amen

dermdoc
AG
I like that idea.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Zobel
AG
If you look at the context of the explanation of the Lord's Prayer and a bit of history you can see that the Jewish tradition (and early christian) is to pray three times a day. People would make a big show of this stop and pray, maybe stepping up onto a high place to be seen. His teaching was just - pray this prayer instead. quietly. Secretly.

But it's still expected or assumed the times of prayer are maintained.
LonghornDub
The Anglican Book of Common Prayer has prayer services for morning, noonday, and evening and an order for compline, but they are all longer than the prayer quoted above. I like it but I'd rather it were in Elizabethan English.
God made the country, and man made the town. William Cowper

swimmerbabe11
the trisagion is not a replacement for morning and evening prayers imo
747Ag
AG
I have prayed in this manner in the past. My son prays some of the morning "hours" currently. Our clergy and consecrated religious are required to pray in this manner. This practice used to be called the Divine Office. (This is from a Catholic perspective.)

https://universalis.com/
dermdoc
AG
Thanks buddy. Did the morning prayer this am and really enjoyed it. Will attempt to keep the discipline up. It is good to pray and worship our Creator.
TexagChris17
AG
Gator03 said:

Can't speak for Catholics or high church Protestants but the daily offices would be celebrated at monasteries but not parishes within the Orthodox world.

You can definitely pray the hours at home but it would be a lot of praying through the day.

k2 as always would know way more than me on this from an Orthodox perspective but I think the hours would include a lot of liturgical rubrics, so it might be more beneficial to use a Psalter and pray through that once per week if you're making it part of your personal prayer at home. That has been a standard personal Christian practice for a long time.

Catholics do liturgy of the hours- I know at St. Mary's they did them, and the previous priest at my parish also used to do them.
LonghornDub
There's an online Version that's easier to use than the book form. I use it instead of my book that's heavy.

dermdoc
AG
LonghornDub said:

There's an online Version that's easier to use than the book form. I use it instead of my book that's heavy.

Great minds think alike. I am using the online version. Gives me peace.
LonghornDub
Many object that it makes for rote meaningless prayer. It may for some, but not for me. It teaches me how to properly pray without replacing spontaneous prayer. My favorite inspirational writer, F B Meyer, objected to it strongly, but that's about all we disagree on, and he was an English Baptist preacher who died about 1929. I read him every day as well as the BCP.

IIIHorn
Thank you, Swimmer.
swimmerbabe11
my spontaneous prayer has become very conversational. I much prefer to use written prayer, read it quietly once, then read it out loud. reading in my head doesnt really work for me. I even prefer writing prayers first to spontaneous.
LonghornDub
I have written a few that I use frequently. In at least two different sections of the BCP are prayers re specific subjects, and I have xeroxed several of those as well. Years ago, I created a prayer list of friends and relatives, divided it between the living and the dead, added the prayers I had chosen, xeroxed it and then used a copy machine to miniature it to one page that fits on the front fly leaf of my prayer book. It is a big help, especially now that I'm old and my memory is shot.

I'd be interested in reading your personally written prayers if you want to share.

IIIHorn
LonghornDub said:

The Anglican Book of Common Prayer has prayer services for morning, noonday, and evening and an order for compline, but they are all longer than the prayer quoted above. I like it but I'd rather it were in Elizabethan English.
It is not my intention to veer Swim's thread off track:

LonghornDub,

It was not that long ago that I went through the confirmation process and became aware of the BCP.

I find it to be a profound resource for worship, study and reflection.

I still have a sense of discovery and wonder about that little book.

dermdoc
AG
Agree.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.