Bible study help

2,748 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 94chem
dermdoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
And I am not meaning to be argumentative and have no agenda. In fact, as an exercise, go to a Reformed Church, a Church of Christ, a Catholic Church, an Orthodox Church, a messianic Jewish Church, a Jehovah's Witness Church, an African American Baptist Church, an AME Church, etc. and ask every pastor what they believe any verse in the Bible means. Or parable. Or Revelation. Or Hell. And see if you get the same answers.

And I personally believe all of those folks are well meaning and guided by the Holy Spirit.

And edited to add that I completely forgot the filioque and trans substantiation.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Wearer of the Ring
AG
And yet ... the ungifted average guy is commanded to teach his children the scriptures.

I'd say that means he ought to feel confident that his Texags adequate understanding of English is up to the divine exhortation.

He may not be up to speed on supralapsarianism but i bet he can help them understand what the LORD has to say about theft and coveting and jealousy. And even what "the LORD is my shepherd" means. And his kids will love it knowing it comes from his own heart and life and not from some terrific jrhi pastor in California.
Zobel
AG
Yeah, we're completely talking past enough other. Fathers should teach their kids. But they shouldn't do it alone, because the scriptures are challenging. Notice the chain of events in the Deuteronomy passage - from public instruction to instruction in the home. It's the exact same way in the NT, too, for what it's worth - public teaching and interpretation of scripture being the guard.

And I think you'd be surprised at how much variance there is in even very basic teachings based on personal interpretation. History is full of them.

I have no idea what a terrific jhri pastor means.
dermdoc
AG
Agree with both of the last two posts.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Wearer of the Ring
AG
yay!
DD88
AG
The Grinder (99) said:

I'm new to the R&P forum, so I apologize if this has been addressed before but I wanted to ask for some advice.

I am looking for some guidance on some good bible study material. I am hoping to find something that may be organized by topic that references passages throughout the Bible on those topics. I recently attended the pine cove father daughter retreat and thought it was wonderful. The speaker would give a talk on "modesty" and throughout the talk reference verses.

That inspired me to try and find some material.

I'm specifically interested in continuing to grow as a spiritual leader within my family and hope to have regular talks within my family. I thought a themed approach with verses to support the theme would be good.

Thanks in advance for any advice
Our Daily Bread has a daily devotional that you can share with your family and many other resources.
https://odb.org/
94chem
If you want to be in a Bible Study, you'd probably like BSF. I've been in it for 11 years. It's not perfect, but the weekly discipline has been important in forming and maintaining good habits.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.