"My God, My God, Why have you forsaken me?"

5,888 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 94chem
DirtDiver
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My God, my God, why have You forsaken me? I think this prophesy is a masterpiece.

Psalm 22:18
They divide my garments among them,
And for my clothing they cast lots.
Matthew 27:35 And when they had crucified Him, they divided up His garments among themselves by casting lots

Psalm 22:6
But I am a worm and not a man,
A reproach of men and despised by the people.
7 All who see me sneer at me;
They separate with the lip, they wag the head, saying,
8 "Commit yourself to the Lord; let Him deliver him;
Let Him rescue him, because He delights in him."

Mark 15:29 Those passing by were hurling abuse at Him, wagging their heads, and saying, "Ha! You who are going to destroy the temple and rebuild it in three days, 30 save Yourself, and come down from the cross!" 31 In the same way the chief priests also, along with the scribes, were mocking Him among themselves and saying, "He saved others; He cannot save Himself. 32 Let this Christ, the King of Israel, now come down from the cross, so that we may see and believe!" Those who were crucified with Him were also insulting Him.
Win At Life
AG
DirtDiver said:

My God, my God, why have You forsaken me? I think this prophesy is a masterpiece.

Psalm 22:18
They divide my garments among them,
And for my clothing they cast lots.
Matthew 27:35 And when they had crucified Him, they divided up His garments among themselves by casting lots

Psalm 22:6
But I am a worm and not a man,
A reproach of men and despised by the people.
7 All who see me sneer at me;
They separate with the lip, they wag the head, saying,
8 "Commit yourself to the Lord; let Him deliver him;
Let Him rescue him, because He delights in him."

Mark 15:29 Those passing by were hurling abuse at Him, wagging their heads, and saying, "Ha! You who are going to destroy the temple and rebuild it in three days, 30 save Yourself, and come down from the cross!" 31 In the same way the chief priests also, along with the scribes, were mocking Him among themselves and saying, "He saved others; He cannot save Himself. 32 Let this Christ, the King of Israel, now come down from the cross, so that we may see and believe!" Those who were crucified with Him were also insulting Him.

There's more prophecy than that. Many are obvious now looking at Yeshua's execution. When He refers to Himself as a "worm", this is a special insect who's color is used to make red dye and it's the same word that is most often not even translated as worm, but simply the color scarlet; especially when describing the color of the high priest's robe. See the attached for further prophetic meaning of just this single word in Psalm 22:

https://www.manual4life.org/en/psalm-226-worm/
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
I learned of another aspect of our Lord's quotation from the first verse of Psalm 22. It has to do with the Jewish liturgical practice in the temple at the time of the crucifixion. The practice was for a cantor to chant/sing from the Psalms at specific times of the day. The traditional belief in the Catholic Church is that our Lord died on the cross at the 3:00 o'clock hour which would have been one of those liturgical hours. So, one way to think of Jesus's recitation of Psalm 22 is as part of the liturgical practice of the temple, which also gives rise to the question: is it possible that the crucified Christ would have chanted, even in a distressed way, the words from Psalm 22 and would that have drawn the attention of the faithful Jews who heard it to the prophetic reality even more so than a spoken recitation? I acknowledge that the answer is not knowable with certainty, but in my mind the image of the crucified anointed one chanting the beginning of the prophetic Psalm 22 from the cross is the most perfectly poetic image of all, beautifully demonstrating who he is and what he is fulfilling.
Win At Life
AG
I've never heard that one, but it wouldn't surprise me. The amount of Jewish "traditions" that point prophetically to Yeshau is spooky.

For example, all Jewish Sabbath services bring out the Torah, walk around the synagogue, lay it on a table to read and then put it back. But, the place it's kept is called the Ark. The cover over it is called the robe. The metal piece on the top is called the crown. And the wood spindles it's rolled up on is called the tree.

So, during each service:
The Word (Yeshua) comes out of the Ark, walks among us, has his crown removed, is disrobed and stretched out on the tree and opened for us on the alter to hear YHWH's Word. Then, as it rises from the Beima, that's a picture of Yeshua's resurrection, and returning to the Ark is a picture of Yeshua ascending back to heaven. This amazing picture of the work of Yeshua is carried out every Shabbat right in front of the eyes of Jews who fail to see HIM.

Another example, is their tradition of the Afikkomen during Passover. They have a white linen cloth with three pockets. A piece of unleavened bread is placed in each one. Then the middle piece if removed, held up a broken, wrapped in a white linen and then hidden for the children to find later.

The three pieces of Matzah represent the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. It's the middle piece (the Son) that's lifted up and broken, then wrapped in white linen and "buried" only to be "resurrected at the end of Passover. Jews really don't know when or why they started doing the Afikkomen, but you could hardly work a better picture of Yeshua into the Passover meal if you tried. Again, they do these things every year, but know not what they do.

There's so much more that Christianity has unfortunately missed by divorcing itself from its origins of a Jewish Mashiach.

Shalom
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
Win At Life said:

I've never heard that one, but it wouldn't surprise me. The amount of Jewish "traditions" that point prophetically to Yeshau is spooky.

For example, all Jewish Sabbath services bring out the Torah, walk around the synagogue, lay it on a table to read and then put it back. But, the place it's kept is called the Ark. The cover over it is called the robe. The metal piece on the top is called the crown. And the wood spindles it's rolled up on is called the tree.

So, during each service:
The Word (Yeshua) comes out of the Ark, walks among us, has his crown removed, is disrobed and stretched out on the tree and opened for us on the alter to hear YHWH's Word. Then, as it rises from the Beima, that's a picture of Yeshua's resurrection, and returning to the Ark is a picture of Yeshua ascending back to heaven. This amazing picture of the work of Yeshua is carried out every Shabbat right in front of the eyes of Jews who fail to see HIM.

Another example, is their tradition of the Afikkomen during Passover. They have a white linen cloth with three pockets. A piece of unleavened bread is placed in each one. Then the middle piece if removed, held up a broken, wrapped in a white linen and then hidden for the children to find later.

The three pieces of Matzah represent the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. It's the middle piece (the Son) that's lifted up and broken, then wrapped in white linen and "buried" only to be "resurrected at the end of Passover. Jews really don't know when or why they started doing the Afikkomen, but you could hardly work a better picture of Yeshua into the Passover meal if you tried. Again, they do these things every year, but know not what they do.

There's so much more that Christianity has unfortunately missed by divorcing itself from its origins of a Jewish Mashiach.

Shalom
Forgive me, but I take it from your post that you practice messianic Judaism? Since there are so many references to the ark of the new covenant in your post, I am curious what place the Theotokos has in your faith.

Thanks
Win At Life
AG
One of the things that I've learned over the years is that there a numerous shades of belief in things by different Messianic Congregations. As for us, we study Hebrew a bit and believe the Brit Chadasha (that's the New Testament to you) was originally written in Aramaic, so we don't use Greek words like Theotokos? Okay, that was a slight joke. We still look at some of the Greek. But, yeah, I actually had to google that word, to even know what you were asking, if that tells you anything.

So, if Wikipedia is not completely off base, you are asking about our doctrine of Mary as the mother of Yeshua. Generally speaking we don't have much doctrine about Mary above what scripture describes. If you read scripture in its entirety, you will see that she has a place in the story, a place in prophecy and a place in spiritual meaning, but not a place dramatically greater than many other people in scripture.

Our view about Mary in scripture is probably not dramatically more or less than what typical protestant denominations believe. And much like how many Protestants are a bit uncomfortable with what they perceive as the disproportionate veneration of Mary, we would come down on similar lines.

Most of what became this veneration of Mary can be traced only about as far back as the 3rd or 4th century AD. Although, there were certainly men of faith at that time, we are more skeptical of how far into error even they may have gone given what Paul says to the Galatians (1:6) about them departing from the faith even in his day.

There were reasons on both sides, but Jews and Gentiles in the faith began to separate from each other by 70AD and even more so after the Bar Kokhba revolt in 135AD. Much of the gentile church meandered off away from their Jewish roots, incorporated pagan influences as they spread farther from Jerusalem and even became anti-semitic with Constantine forbidding Jewish leader who believe in Yeshua from attending his Council of Nicea. And only those who were equally anti-semitic and willing to do Constantine's bidding, bothered to show up. This same Constantine who claimed to be a "believer" and directed the Council of Nicea and their anti-Jewish, anti-biblical doctrine had his own son murdered only one year later and then had his wife murdered in a bathhouse as well. This is not a man, nor his council, I choose to follow. Many other doctrines, such as Theotokos, were developed around this time, and therefore, looked upon with skepticism.

Generally speaking, most Messianic Jews (not Two Housers), look to reform the faith back to its roots of a Jewish Meshiach and Jewish Apostles; one corrected from the error of the Pharisees of their day, but also not imbued with the paganism, human pride, anti-semitism and scriptural embellishments of the following several hundred (or even 1000) years.

If you are truly interested in understanding more, I would recommend this book.

These Things You Should Have Done, by Paul Torason

Shalom
Unknown_handle
AG
It is really not that hard to understand. The answer is obvious to anyone that wants to use reason. Jesus and God are not the same. You are trying for force a square peg into a round whole. It just isn't necessary.
94chem
Isaiah 53:6
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.