John 3:36

4,154 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by dermdoc
dermdoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
k2aggie07 said:

Quote:

Can I lose my salvation through sin?
I think there is a scriptural case for apostasy - so, yes, simply put.

I don't think this means if you sin you don't go to heaven. If that were the case no one would be saved. Scripture says if anyone we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves.

A yes to this question doesn't mean yes to "Can I gain my salvation through works", for what its worth.

Quote:

What happens when I die?

There is an intermediate time in the scriptures, but there's not a lot of detail. On death, Christians are with Christ, and this is somehow good. People who are not are simply dead, near as I can tell, but I think you could also make a scriptural case that there is also an intermediate time of suffering.

But this non-bodily state is not permanent. The scriptures say all mankind will be resurrected at the end of the age, the good and the bad. They also say we will be judged by what we have done. We receive goodness from the presence or face (prosopon) of God. The rebellious receive some kind of penalty from the presence or face of God.

The scriptures say that at the end of the present age all things will be made new. Heaven and earth are one, a new creation, and God is all in all. I believe the scriptures also teach there is a restoration, a correction, for all the evil and injustice that exists. God doesn't merely judge, or even stop at forgiveness. He restores, corrects.
Great post and agree.

To further your discussion about losing your salvation for apostasy, I wonder if this was what was meant by sinning against the Holy Spirit? Basically, you have been born again with the spirit and you reject it.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
one MEEN Ag
AG
barnyard1996 said:

May I ask where you received this theology so I can dive a little deeper?

https://exploring-my-strange-bible.simplecast.com/episodes/7e2527d1-7e2527d1

Exploring My Strange Bible did a great four part series on Heaven and Hell. This is the first part, the 3rd part has your specific answer.

K2Aggie07 is on the right track. Heaven isn't a far away place in the stars, it is like another dimension here on Earth. When the world was perfect Eden was a common area where both worlds mingled. It was literally 'Heaven on Earth.'

The bible doesn't labor much explaining what happens when we die, but does talk a lot about what happens after that. In the Old testament there is only the grave 'sheol.' Good and bad lives alike are joined in the grave. Jesus mentions that believers when they die are immediately whisked to the presence of God. At the end of times everyone is resurrected, 'the sea give up their dead and the grave give up their dead.'

After judgement, we are renewed as perfect, and the Earth is made anew. God reigns over all his creation. Everything that goes wrong in Genesis is made whole again. That is what heaven is, its not getting the mansion or fast car you didn't get in this life. It is perfect existence and the death of death.

So in summary, the bible doesn't really talk about life-after-death, but does have a bit on life after life-after-death.
dermdoc
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

barnyard1996 said:

May I ask where you received this theology so I can dive a little deeper?

https://exploring-my-strange-bible.simplecast.com/episodes/7e2527d1-7e2527d1

Exploring My Strange Bible did a great four part series on Heaven and Hell. This is the first part, the 3rd part has your specific answer.

K2Aggie07 is on the right track. Heaven isn't a far away place in the stars, it is like another dimension here on Earth. When the world was perfect Eden was a common area where both worlds mingled. It was literally 'Heaven on Earth.'

The bible doesn't labor much explaining what happens when we die, but does talk a lot about what happens after that. In the Old testament there is only the grave 'sheol.' Good and bad lives alike are joined in the grave. Jesus mentions that believers when they die are immediately whisked to the presence of God. At the end of times everyone is resurrected, 'the sea give up their dead and the grave give up their dead.'

After judgement, we are renewed as perfect, and the Earth is made anew. God reigns over all his creation. Everything that goes wrong in Genesis is made whole again. That is what heaven is, its not getting the mansion or fast car you didn't get in this life. It is perfect existence and the death of death.

So in summary, the bible doesn't really talk about life-after-death, but does have a bit on life after life-after-death.
Agree. It is fascinating at how eternity is pictured by most Christians. Definitely not Biblical. N T Wright has written a pretty good book, Surprised by Hope: Rethinking Heaven, the Resurrection, and the mission of the Church that backs up what your post said.

It seems as most Christians base their views on eternity from Dante, Hal Lindsay and the Late, Great Planet Earth, and of course, the Left Behind series.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PacifistAg
AG
Ugh....Left Behind.
dermdoc
AG
k2aggie07 said:

Everything and nothing. Belief is the beginning, not the end. We commit our whole lives to Christ, our entire life becomes a sacrifice. We are living sacrifices. We die, the old man dies, and to live is Christ. Our entire identity and life is clothed in Christ, the old is gone, and behold! New creation!

If you don't see this new creation, new life, new growth in your life, shouldn't you wonder? The scriptures seem clear.

We are both God's field and His coworkers. Humans are supposed to work, it's the command given even in the garden. Work is what we were made to do, and further, Christ says work is what we WILL do if we believe - greater even than His works. No? How do you read it?

Knocked it put of the park my friend

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.