How to study the bible

2,423 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Win At Life
RG20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
How does one go about studying the bible? Should I start at Genesis and go straight through? I tried reading different passages but don't really understand what's going on...
craigernaught
AG
You're going to get various answers here. That's okay, but no matter what you do, I would suggest you do the following.

1) Buy a good study Bible. I use a HarperColllins Study Bible that was recommended in seminary, but there are many good ones. Footnotes and brief historical and literary intros to each book make intentional study and quick reference much easier.

2) Talk to your pastor. Your pastor will be thrilled and will likely have a multitude of resources available from books to commentaries that are otherwise quite expensive. You can come up with a plan together or join a group study.

3) Rather than "studying the whole Bible", choose a book of the Bible or two, commit to learning deeply about it, then afterwards choose another. Keep doing this forever, even if it's little by little. One of Gospels are a good place to start (I'd recommend Mark, Luke, or Matthew due to their similarity with each other). They're central to Christianity, not intimidatingly long, and familiar. Notice the references to other books of the Bible in your study Bible. Read from those sections in the other books and see what you may want to study more in depth later. If the book references Genesis, Isaiah or another book and you find yourself interested, study that book next. Start again with John or a letter from Paul. Repeat the process.

4) Don't get discouraged. The Bible is hard. Biblical study is full of various schools of thought, methods, and controversies. Group study helps. So does leaning on your tradition and your pastor. But ultimately, you're going to have to pray and struggle for yourself. You can do it.

5) Argue on Texags. Or maybe not. We're a mixed bag. I like it here.

Good luck!
Frok
AG
I think the gospel of John is a good place to start if starting from scratch.

PacifistAg
AG
I would recommend picking a particular subject that you are interested in, and focus your study there. I wouldn't read from cover to cover unless you are prepared to dedicate a couple years. Reading it cover to cover in a year can be challenging enough, and that's just with reading the chapters assigned and not digging into the meat. Cover to cover, though, does give you a bird's eye view of the story especially how His people's understanding of Him grows throughout which results in portraits that begin to look more and more like Jesus.

I would also recommend getting a study guide that delves into the original languages, as opposed to interpretations that are centered English translations.
Win At Life
AG
If you are a new believer, then I recommend following one of the recommendations above. If you have been a believer for a while, heard plenty of sermons, and Sunday school lessons, my recommendation is to read straight through without stopping to the end of Esther. Most of that is basically in chronological order and will place those stories you've heard in proper order in your head. The rest of the OT is basically Psalms and prophets and much harder to get through, IMO. Interchange those with a straight-through reading of the NT.

Just my $0.02.
dermdoc
AG
I do the Biblica Bible in a year site. Everyday you get a OT hunk, a NT hunk, and a Psalms/Proverbs. Just google bible in a year and different plans come up. This is my second year to do it and I have a group of friends doing it now so we discuss the readings which helps. Every time I read it I find something new.

And I think having a friend or two to discuss things help. Or even involve one of your pastors. They will be thrilled.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aggiedad20
A wealth of information...

http://www.thywordistruth.com/zoom/search.php#.XiXN9CVMGEc

Zobel
AG
RG20 said:

How does one go about studying the bible? Should I start at Genesis and go straight through? I tried reading different passages but don't really understand what's going on...

A few thoughts..

The Scriptures are very difficult to read sometimes because we don't always acknowledge that they are ancient writings, written by ancient authors. We sort of expect them to meet us instead of us meeting them. At the same time, when read properly what they have to say meets us right where we are because the message is timeless. It is the story of humanity. But they are difficult! Some of the stuff is freaking weird to modern sensibilities. That's ok. Don't let it freak you out.

First thing to remember is the Scriptures - the Law, the Psalms and wisdom writings, and the Prophets - are all about Christ. And more specifically, the story of mankind and the arc of salvation culminating in Christ's death and resurrection (spoiler alert!).

The next thing to remember is that this is a collection of stories that have been carefully curated and assembled over decades and centuries. There is foreshadowing, dramatic irony, humor, and some very beautiful and emotional language all included. It's really hard to "get" it this way because of the huge cultural divide and the way sometimes we approach it (like it should be read solemnly, in thees and thous, with a super serious face - no laughing or smiling allowed).

This means that sometimes a story won't seem to make much sense taken out of context. Some dude slaughters a bunch of people with a jawbone? Uh, weird, I'm going to go read Ephesians 4. Right, so you sort of have to allow yourself to zoom in / zoom out. Each story does have its own purpose, takeaways, moral lesson, whatever...but they are all in the larger context about Christ and the story of humanity (see point one). It's ok to pause and ask - why is the author telling me this? Why did the person who wrote or compile this want me to read this, in this way?

One other thing - when reading the OT - poetry is important. Poetry tends to summarize big themes, act as a kind of exclamation or emphasis or reiteration, or set the stage for the next scene. Poetry is kind of like songs in a Broadway musical. If you just took them, you'd get most of the story in short form.
one MEEN Ag
AG
RG20 said:

I would recommend the Bible Project. They have incredible videos and also a great tabletop book that discusses the context of each book of the bible. So if you're reading Genesis, watch the video first about the themes of Genesis, the context, etc.

www,thebibleproject.com

On the home page is a 'read the bible in a year' resource as well.
PacifistAg
AG
Love The Bible Project videos. Short and they really whet the appetite for a particular subject.
Catag94
AG
I think all of the above is good advice. I hope you are a person who acknowledges Jesus as the Messiah and trust in him for your salvation. You will find that in the scriptures that Jesus is the one who baptizes with the Holy Spirit. If this is the case, I suggest you pray in earnest regarding knowing God more and ask him to grant you understanding through the Holy Spirit with which you have been baptized. If you do these things and seek to find God in his word, you will be amazed at where this takes you and what you learn.

If you are a new Christian believer, I think Ephesians is a great place to start (especially chapter 4) I think the advice of starting in the gospel according to John is great. I also think the history of Genesis is very important. In fact, as difficult as it may seem, I suggest the first 5 books to be very important as this is where you will learn the history of the separation of man from God, the history the Jewish people, the importance of Faith, and the first Covenant God made with Abraham and then, the law handed down to the Israelite people. Knowledge of all these things will go a long way to helping you understand more deeply the things that seem you'll find in the New Testament.

But, above all, allow the Spirit of God to build a burning desire to know god more through his word and follow where he leads you.

I'll pray for you, too.
94chem
Reading what the Bible says about itself is useful. John 1, Psalm 119:105, II Tim. 3:15, Matt. 24:35, and Rev. 1:3 are some good verses. Is is encouraging to know that reading the Bible brings a blessing in and of itself, brings us closer to God and reveals him to us, and gives us discernment. It is a privilege to read the Bible, not a chore.

Every poster above suggests a place to start reading. They are all correct. Ask God to reveal himself to you no matter where you are reading.

Remember that merely reading the scripture is time spent in prayer. It is God's portion of the conversation.
RG20
Thank you for all of the suggestions. It's overwhelming to me to look and the Bible and wonder where the heck do I start. So, I'll digest your suggestions and put them to good use. Thanks again.
Zobel
AG
RG20 said:

Thank you for all of the suggestions. It's overwhelming to me to look and the Bible and wonder where the heck do I start. So, I'll digest your suggestions and put them to good use. Thanks again.
One good place to start... pray the psalms every morning. It is the prayerbook of the Church for a reason. Like St John Chrysostom said... when it comes to prayer, "David is first, last, and central."
AggieEyes
AG
Just in case you're interested in the truth.

Start on YouTube....engage in videos and conversation with Street Epistemology (Anthony Magnabosco), Sam Harris, Christopher Hitchens and Richard Dawkins. Cosmic skeptic and Richard Carrier are other amazing resources too.

Best of luck in your journey.

Zobel
AG
Where's all the atheists from the other threads to gallantly run up and tell this guy he's being soooo rude and soooo condescending?
craigernaught
AG
Please don't start on YouTube.
Frok
AG
craigernaught said:

Please don't start on YouTube.

lol. What could go wrong?
MROD92
https://www.abebooks.com/Bible-Year-52-Lesson-Introduction-66-Books/30551233965/bd?cm_mmc=ggl-_-US_Shopp_Trade-_-used-_-naa&gclid=CjwKCAiA1L_xBRA2EiwAgcLKA_Mc5AIIPJXdQQUlp7UEq4k6wyO83D9S5esx7Q7RUgy0KDLRJSuocBoCz0IQAvD_BwE

We've had great success with this for beginners
spete
Easy intro to the life of Jesus and early days of the Christian church:

Read the Gospel of Luke, then the book of Acts of the Apostles, which picks up where Luke left off.

Both books are written by the same author (Luke, a physician) to his friend, Theophilus, and they tell the story you want to hear.

Jesus was born into the Jewish culture and religion of Abraham. Christianity grew from those roots. After you read Luke and Acts, go back and read Genesis through Esther. These New Testament, then Old Testament, readings will give you the history.
Zobel
AG
This reminds of Machete order for Star Wars. That's where you watch episode IV, V, II, III then VI. The reason is to get ANH and preserve the whole Vader reveal in ESB, and skip PM because it sucks. The story becomes a kind of inclusio arc... Luke and Obi Wan vs Vader, Anakin and Obi Wan bs Palpatine, Luke and Vader vs Palpatine.

So to preserve the awesome arcs here, I agree to start with the gospel of St Luke. Preserves the awesome reveal at the end of Luke. But then I'd use "the scriptures are about me" as a jumping-off point and hit the OT prequels - Genesis, Exodus, skip Leviticus and numbers because it's tough. Deuteronomy and Joshua...then come back to Acts to see how it plays out.
spete

Or just start with the OT books of history (Genesis through Esther), then jump to Luke/Acts to keep the whole story in chronological order, which is very important.

The danger in that approach is the risk of getting bogged down in Leviticus and never making it to the story of Christ, which is most important.
Win At Life
AG
spete said:

Or just start with the OT books of history (Genesis through Esther), then jump to Luke/Acts to keep the whole story in chronological order, which is very important.

The danger in that approach is the risk of getting bogged down in Leviticus and never making it to the story of Christ, which is most important.
Leviticus 23 IS the story of Christ.

Colossians 2:16 Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath. 17 These are a shadow of the things to come, but the substance belongs to Christ.

Christ lives out the prophetic symbolism of YHWH's feasts. This can be seen by those who are not untaught in scripture.

2 Peter 3: 15 and regard the patience of our Lord as salvation; just as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given him, wrote to you, 16 as also in all his letters, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which the untaught and unstable distort, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction.

Shalom
Zobel
AG
Not arguing that. The law the psalms and the prophets are all about Him. But surely you can appreciate that to a 20th century person who is just coming to this Leviticus and numbers can be extremely challenging books to read?

St Paul says of first importance is that Christ died and rose again, according to the scriptures. I think that's a good order to orient ourselves.
spete
I'm fully aware that Leviticus 23 is the story of Christ. A beautiful plan for the ages.

That said, a new searcher would easily get frustrated with Leviticus. You learn to add and subtract before enrolling in calc.
Win At Life
AG
Yeah, and the OP never revealed his level of experience, so just scatter shooting here.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.