Christian QBs in the NFL

11,506 Views | 229 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by diehard03
Guy on a Buffalo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is it just me or does there seem to be a healthy influx of quarterbacks in the NFL who are willing to be outspoken about their faith?

Drew Brees, Carson Wentz, Nick Foles, Ryan Tannehill, Kirk Cousins

I'm sure I'm missing a few, but each of the ones I've listed has never shied away from being vocal regarding their Christian faith. It's incredibly refreshing as a father of three sons in a world where being a Christian has become less popular than any time I can remember in recent history.

I feel like there have always been one or two guys in the NFL who are out there with their faith at any given time, but it just seems like it's become a higher percentage of starting QBs in the last couple of years.

-----------------------
Truth without love is brutality. Love without truth is compromise.
UTExan
Don't forget Andy Dalton.

And any Redskins qb who will quickly learn to pray given their offensive line performance.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
PacifistAg
AG
Honestly, I don't believe it's so much a matter of being less popular to be a Christian than other times in recent history, but more so an issue of it being less popular to be an angry and abrasive Christian. I think most non-Christians are fed up with the angry, abrasive, politicized American Christianity.
dermdoc
AG
Add Russell Wilson and Aaron Rogers to the list. And I am sure there are more that are not as vocal. There are a lot more Christians than people think. Share your faith a little and you will be surprised. Also brings about an immediate bond.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jkag89
Phillip Rivers. Oops, never mind, he is Catholic so that makes him at best a faux Christian to some here.
diehard03
Quote:

It's incredibly refreshing as a father of three sons in a world where being a Christian has become less popular than any time I can remember in recent history.

I kinda go the other way on it. There's a lot of pressures that players feel that I will never feel, and I think it's unfair to allow them to be role models for our children.

I think it also is teaching them the wrong message, as they are certainly football players first and Christians second. I don't think this is an intentional message, or falls on the responsibility of the player...it's just how they are marketed by the league. It's more of a "caught, than taught" sort of thing.
diehard03
Quote:

Add Russell Wilson and Aaron Rogers to the list. And I am sure there are more that are not as vocal. There are a lot more Christians than people think. Share your faith a little and you will be surprised. Also brings about an immediate bond.

I'm pretty sure Rodgers doesn't believe. Sure, you can find early articles about his Christian upbringing, but his more recent travels point to a "all you need is love" sort of approach.

edit: sorry, didn't mean winky face. Also, Russell Wilson is not the greatest look either.
Frok
AG
Quote:

but more so an issue of it being less popular to be an angry and abrasive Christian

No, it's unpopular to be a christian that is for traditional marriage or traditional christian beliefs in general. If you are a christian who aligns with modern progressive doctrines you will be liked, stray from that and there may be consequences.

i.e. - Remember the controversy earlier this year when Drew Brees supported children bringing their bibles to school. That was hardly being abrasive.
Guy on a Buffalo
AG
I don't really see it that way. While I tend to agree that people are generally fed up with "in your face" political/religious beliefs of any kind, it has become more and more socially unacceptable to be a Christian in American culture.

Just look at the efforts made earlier this season to smear Drew Brees' name when he appeared in a Focus on the Family video promoting bring your Bible to school day. Someone tried to legitimately make the claim that Drew Brees was anti-LGBT people because FOTF has been vocal in the past against gay marriage.

I anticipate it will be very challenging for my sons to be outspoken in their faith as they grow up and enter into the corporate world. We already see evidence of it in companies asking their employees to sign pledges regarding certain social beliefs. How long until that will be mandatory for employment?

It's nice to know that there are still some very popular faces of famous organizations (ie NFL franchises) who are comfortable being public about their professions of faith in Christ.

-----------------------
jkag89
I don't know, these QBs (as well as others in the NFL and sports in general) can at least help create a focus on faith for young boys (and girls) who love sports. Roger Staubach was my sports hero as a kid and of course it was primarily due to him being Hall of Fame quarterback for my favorite football team, yet while he may have never was aggressive in sharing his faith he certainly did not hide it either. Do not under estimate this on the mind of youngsters.
Macarthur
OP is a strange question. Football players have been thanking God and Jesus for a long time. In fact, I never remember guys in the 70s and even into the 80s being vocal about their faith.

In general, I get the feeling players are much more vocal than they used to be.

It just seems like an odd question and why are you posting QBs?
diehard03
Quote:

I don't know, these QBs (as well as others in the NFL and sports in general) can at least help create a focus on faith for young boys (and girls) who love sports. Roger Staubach was my sports hero as a kid and of course it was primarily due to him being Hall of Fame quarterback for my favorite football team, yet while he may have never was aggressive in sharing his faith he certainly did not hide it either. Do not under estimate this on the mind of youngsters.

I always find it bizarre that we yearn for idols in a religion whos basic tenet is that "all men are bad, so that's why the only model worth following is the Incarnate God".

It cuts very much both ways. You also have the Josh Hamilton's of the world that erode youngster's minds.
Quad Dog
AG
Will this lead to another long discussion on if they are working on the Sabbath?
Guy on a Buffalo
AG
Not looking for idols, just examples of what it may look like to walk through life professing faith unabashedly. Josh Hamilton and many others have certainly let down people who held them in too high of esteem, but there is a powerful lesson there too: I have fallen myself in major ways in my life, but I keep coming back to the cross. You don't need to be "Tim Tebow perfect" in order to be a Christian. You just need to recognize your dependence on the grace and salvation of Jesus Christ.

I certainly don't look for idols at church or in work either, just examples of what it looks like to be a follower of Christ in real life.

-----------------------
Martin Q. Blank
diehard03 said:

Quote:

I always find it bizarre that we yearn for idols in a religion whos basic tenet is that "all men are bad, so that's why the only model worth following is the Incarnate God".

It cuts very much both ways. You also have the Josh Hamilton's of the world that erode youngster's minds.
yah, and the King Davids, Peters, and Moseseses.
jkag89
diehard03 said:

Quote:

Hey I'm Catholic, we simply love to recognize good examples of faith. While Christ may be the ultimate model, he was also God Incarnate, the rest of us are merely human. It may be helpful to see how other Christians live(d) their lives, especially ones with our same interest (where these QBs may come in) and also our faults (where knowing the lives of the Saints can be helpful).

I understand your point about Josh Hamilton, yet he certainly can teach other tough lessons.of life. Christianity in is self does not necessarily shield oneself from ones inner demons.
diehard03
Quote:

I certainly don't look for idols at church or in work either, just examples of what it looks like to be a follower of Christ in real life.

My point is that it's really hard to expect children to be able to differentiate that.

I think it's better that keep the focus where it should be.
dermdoc
AG
diehard03 said:

Quote:

I'm pretty sure Rodgers doesn't believe. Sure, you can find early articles about his Christian upbringing, but his more recent travels point to a "all you need is love" sort of approach.

edit: sorry, didn't mean winky face. Also, Russell Wilson is not the greatest look either.

So may I ask what is it about those two you have a problem with? Aaron Rodgers hangs with Rob Bell. Is that the problem? And Wilson is pretty vocal about his faith. What about them conflicts with the Christian faith? And with all due respect, there seems to be some judgemental aspect to your views. Maybe it is just me.

May I ask what church you attend? And I am truly interested not meaning any animosity. Just seems like a different view of Christianity than I have encountered.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dermdoc
AG
And a quick google of Russell Wilson talks about his outspoken Christian beliefs, how he and his model wife did not have premarital sex because of their beliefs, and he donates time every week to a Seattle Children's Hospital. Sounds like a good role model to me.
BusterAg
AG
PacifistAg said:

Honestly, I don't believe it's so much a matter of being less popular to be a Christian than other times in recent history, but more so an issue of it being less popular to be an angry and abrasive Christian. I think most non-Christians are fed up with the angry, abrasive, politicized American Christianity.
When is the last time you had a personal experience with an abrasive Christian.

Social media doesn't count, because there are zero social groups that don't have abrasive members on twitter.
Frok
AG
Quote:

Aaron Rodgers hangs with Rob Bell. Is that the problem?

Yes it is!
dermdoc
AG
I laughed.
diehard03

Quote:

So may I ask what is it about those two you have a problem with? Aaron Rodgers hangs with Rob Bell. Is that the problem? And Wilson is pretty vocal about his faith. What about them conflicts with the Christian faith? And with all due respect, there seems to be some judgemental aspect to your views. Maybe it is just me.

Rodgers doesn't identify with any faith and has stated such. He chastised organized religion. He and Bell have a relationship. It's not like that makes him Christian.

Wilson has managed to take the humility out the Gospel. The fallout from the Legion of Boom stuff revealed that he's not the greatest teammate. The celibacy stuff was silly. God told you not to have sex with her? Did he tell you not to murder too? I love his game...its faith stuff just screams dis-ingenuity to me.

For a lot of people, the Cross is an accessory. A fashion statement.

Don't listen to everyone saying that Christianity is so unpopular by everyone. It's simply not true.

Quote:

May I ask what church you attend? And I am truly interested not meaning any animosity. Just seems like a different view of Christianity than I have encountered.

You've already asked me this.
dermdoc
AG
I am old and forgot. Let me guess Reformed Baptist?
diehard03

Quote:

I am old and forgot. Let me guess Reformed Baptist?

Non-denominational, but I say that's probably right.

But that has nothing to do with anything. Most who would attend my church love Russell Wilson too.
PacifistAg
AG
BusterAg said:

PacifistAg said:

Social media doesn't count, because there are zero social groups that don't have abrasive members on twitter.
First, social media absolutely does count. A Christian who is abrasive and hateful on social media, regardless of what they are like elsewhere, is still an abrasive Christian. We see it in abundance on another forum here.

And I've had real world encounters with such Christians on many occasions. Heck, I saw it all the time in the Baptist churches I grew up in, and see it most often in Reformed circles today.
PacifistAg
AG

Quote:

I anticipate it will be very challenging for my sons to be outspoken in their faith as they grow up and enter into the corporate world. We already see evidence of it in companies asking their employees to sign pledges regarding certain social beliefs. How long until that will be mandatory for employment?
I'm an HR Manager. My coworkers know I'm a Christian. I've never received pushback. Now, about the pledges, private companies do that all the time. We see it a lot, ironically, with religious organizations. If people don't adhere to the values of the private company, then some companies would prefer to terminate the relationship. The company I work for is very inclusive, and if one's actions/words run counter to the values of the company, one can be terminated if the infraction is serious enough. But that certainly isn't targeted at Christians, but everyone because the standard is to treat others with respect and as you'd want them to treat you.

Quote:

It's nice to know that there are still some very popular faces of famous organizations (ie NFL franchises) who are comfortable being public about their professions of faith in Christ.
Agreed.
Macarthur
raging_agaholic said:

Sorry, I guess this is me being ugly atheist, but I see people professing their faith constantly in our society.

sure, it's less in the entertainment community due to them generally being based on the east or west coast where folks tend to be less religious, but I just don't see a shortage of people professing their love to God.

I don't see where this persecution is coming from.
dermdoc
AG
PacifistAg said:

BusterAg said:

PacifistAg said:

First, social media absolutely does count. A Christian who is abrasive and hateful on social media, regardless of what they are like elsewhere, is still an abrasive Christian. We see it in abundance on another forum here.

And I've had real world encounters with such Christians on many occasions. Heck, I saw it all the time in the Baptist churches I grew up in, and see it most often in Reformed circles today.

Agree.

And edited to add that I might use the word judgemental rather than abrasive. If someone professes they are a Christian, I take them on their word. And IMHO, to say because somebody has a different theology than you(as long as it has nothing to do with the true, simple Gospel)then they are not "real" Christians is not good for Christianity.
dermdoc
AG
And I agree here also. I have never been persecuted for my Christian faith and know of no American Christians who have been persecuted. And persecution is not people making fun of you or debating Christian theology.
AGC
AG
PacifistAg said:

Quote:

I'm an HR Manager. My coworkers know I'm a Christian. I've never received pushback. Now, about the pledges, private companies do that all the time. We see it a lot, ironically, with religious organizations. If people don't adhere to the values of the private company, then some companies would prefer to terminate the relationship. The company I work for is very inclusive, and if one's actions/words run counter to the values of the company, one can be terminated if the infraction is serious enough. But that certainly isn't targeted at Christians, but everyone because the standard is to treat others with respect and as you'd want them to treat you.

Quote:

Agreed.

What's the irony of religious organizations expecting adherence to their religious beliefs? Secular organizations are just that, secular, and as such don't merit the same protections outside of what the government requires. If religious exercise is protected then the company should not be able to force its values on employees.
PacifistAg
AG
AGC said:

PacifistAg said:

Quote:

Quote:

Agreed.

What's the irony of religious organizations expecting adherence to their religious beliefs? Secular organizations are just that, secular, and as such don't merit the same protections outside of what the government requires. If religious exercise is protected then the company should not be able to force its values on employees.
The government shouldn't be free to discriminate based on religion. Private companies absolutely should be free to do so. If a private company wishes to make adherence to their values a prerequisite of employment, whether religious or secular, they should be free to do so without government interference. The irony is complaining that secular entities require adherence to their values as a term of employment, while wholeheartedly endorsing religious entities doing the same thing.
PacifistAg
AG
dermdoc said:

And I agree here also. I have never been persecuted for my Christian faith and know of no American Christians who have been persecuted. And persecution is not people making fun of you or debating Christian theology.
Uh, someone said Happy Holidays to me one day! I felt like Stephen being stoned.
AGC
AG
PacifistAg said:

AGC said:

PacifistAg said:

Quote:

Quote:

Agreed.

The government shouldn't be free to discriminate based on religion. Private companies absolutely should be free to do so. If a private company wishes to make adherence to their values a prerequisite of employment, whether religious or secular, they should be free to do so without government interference. The irony is complaining that secular entities require adherence to their values as a term of employment, while wholeheartedly endorsing religious entities doing the same thing.

It's not ironic because secularism isn't a worldview. Corporatism has transformed the national work place in ways that your idea is unable to accommodate. The world has lots of florists and bakers which is why masterpiece absolutely was persecution whether you believe that or not. As Walmarts and Amazons take over there are fewer competing employers and religious protection is necessary when it can dramatically impact state or national beliefs. The world you're living in is 100 years old where it's nbd if you don't agree with the local clothing shop because there's another down the road you can get a job at and everyone is self employed. Or take hospitals if you don't like retail, they're consolidating like crazy and conscience protections are under fire.
PacifistAg
AG

Quote:

As Walmarts and Amazons take over there are fewer competing employers and religious protection is necessary when it can dramatically impact state or national beliefs.
People can make the case that protections for sexual orientation and gender identity are necessary. People can make the case that protections for race are necessary, especially as our society becomes more diverse. People can use your argument to say political views should be protected because they can "dramatically impact state or national beliefs".

At the end of the day, private companies are not bound by the 1st amendment protections of free exercise of religion. Just as they are not bound to respect people's right to free speech. Companies restrict such things all the time. A private company, secular or religious, should be free to require adherence to their corporate values. It's like trying to force PETA to hire someone who runs a slaughterhouse on the side. If you want to work for a company, say mine for example, then you adhere to the values of the company. You are free to find employment elsewhere, as you have no right to the employer's money.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.