The Power of the Mass

1,411 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TSJ
Thaddeus73
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Power of the Mass
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
Thaddeus73 said:

Power of the Mass
I wish every Catholic Church had this image prominently displayed in the narthex with a sign that said "you are about to enter into the presence of the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of the Son of the Living God. Turn off your phone, close your mouth and go down on your knees and know that He is God and worship him"

That might impact that outrageous 70% of Catholics who think it's a symbol.
mesocosm
AG
Creepy as fu$@
jrico2727
AG
That's a very insightful critique.
TSJ
AG
Thaddeus73 said:

Power of the Mass

So I read this through and maybe it's me, but it comes off as transaction. Do this, expect a discount on waiting, etc. I feel like I see this in Mass with those that show up and head out after the Eucharist.

FWIW, I have a hard time feeling closer to God at Mass versus attending Liturgy.
Thaddeus73
AG
In the Old Testament, the Holy Spirit would come down and consume the sacrifice on the altar. In the New Testament, the Holy Spirit comes down and changes the bread and wine into Jesus Christ, who IS The Sacrifice. Jesus is the Head of the Church, and the Mass is where the Head of the Church is mystically united with us, the Body Of Christ.
Thaddeus73
AG
Great Sermon on The Holy Mass
Ordhound04
AG
TSJ said:

Thaddeus73 said:

Power of the Mass

So I read this through and maybe it's me, but it comes off as transaction. Do this, expect a discount on waiting, etc. I feel like I see this in Mass with those that show up and head out after the Eucharist.

FWIW, I have a hard time feeling closer to God at Mass versus attending Liturgy.

I guess it depends on the Liturgy. Are we talking like a Chrysostom or Basil Liturgy, or are we talking a "lovely church service" that happens on Sundays? My understanding is the Eastern Churches (both in and out of communion) have the valid Eucharistic liturgies, so when describing the "Mass" they could be referring to both Latin and Eastern Rite liturgies.
TSJ
AG
I believe its the Chrysostom Liturgy. I am a Methodist married to a Catholic. I have been regularly attending Mass 7-8 years with her, but also going to Methodist services up until august when I started attending an Orthodox church. Obviously, I am not able to fully participate in either.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.