Something I've noticed about most Atheists that I personally know

12,737 Views | 120 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by singapore_sling
Repeat the Line
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AstroAg17 said:

Blood transfusions are a thing you know. Ask Soulslave.

The life is in the blood quote is a good one. I wish I could find the thread where Martin said plants aren't alive.

"Life is in the blood" is a totally reasonable thing for someone from back then with no special knowledge to think. It doesn't have to be literal.

Shouldn't you put that cougar high noggin towards correcting the liberal madness and de facto regulations that would accompany climate change instead of worrying about what a bunch of docile Christians?
AGC
AG
AstroAg17 said:

AGC said:

Tangential as it is you literally can. Portland, Seattle, and many other large cities are post-christian.
I'm not sure what this means exactly.

Does "post-Christian" mean that Christians are only a slight majority instead of an overwhelming majority?

I think "post-Christian" the way it's used here just means voting blocks other than Christians exist.

You think Christians are a slight majority in Portland? You need to leave the south more.
Post removed:
by user
schmendeler
AG
You forget, if they vote Democrat, they aren't really Christian.
AGC
AG
AstroAg17 said:

I couldn't find the complete demographic info for Portland. Fun fact, I have spent a few weeks there. Seattle is 52% Christian. Portland is 42% non-religious. I couldn't tell you how many of the remaining 58% are Christian, but I would expect it to be at least 45% overall. Christians are definitely at least a plurality, if not a majority.

Regardless, they are definitely not "post Christian".

They may be relatively free of certain types of Christianity though.

The age of the demographic matters. Sure there are lots of Catholics in Spain but they're most definitely a post-Christian society because the majority are elderly. It would be very surprising to find that percentage in the 35 and younger cohort in Portland and not concentrated in the older demographics.

The northwest also has stronger pagan representation than the rest of the US so I think you're overestimating your numbers on several levels.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
diehard03
Quote:

It would be very surprising to find that percentage in the 35 and younger cohort in Portland and not concentrated in the older demographics.

You would find the same trend in the Bible Belt.
Post removed:
by user
Sb1540
FAT SEXY said:

Many will go out of their way to try and bring down Christianity.. but they never really do the same to other religions. Why do you think this is?

This is just my personal viewpoint and it could be because I live in the US where Christianity is still the main religion, but I'll post the question anyways.

Also, for reference, I'm agnostic. No dogs in the fight, just something I've noticed.

More than likely the atheists/agnostics/humanists dismiss the divinity of Christianity but are unknowingly using the language of the Christian faith and utilizing that toward their own agenda.

There is no "clean room" for us to start since western civilization is firmly planted in Judeo-Christian ethics. Ironically the very action of rebelling against Christian influence is in itself a Christian motive.
gordo97
AG
OP's name is "fat sexy" and he gets this many replies???
IIIHorn
So, anyway ...

Did you hear about the agnostic, dyslexic insomniac?

He lies awake all night wondering why there is no dog.
Sb1540
AstroAg17 said:

Blood transfusions are a thing you know. Ask Soulslave.

The life is in the blood quote is a good one. I wish I could find the thread where Martin said plants aren't alive.

"Life is in the blood" is a totally reasonable thing for someone from back then with no special knowledge to think. It doesn't have to be literal.
They watched Jesus perform miracle after miracle. That is why it was reasonable for them to believe. Christ wasn't using a metaphor. His body and blood and more real than the bread and wine. If you need to you can try to see it through a Platonic lens. The most real thing is far for more real than material.
singapore_sling
AG
Agnostic here who was also confirmed (forced by parents) in catholicism. Christianity is just the most dominant religion in the culture, but there are different strains of it. The one I have found personally most irksome is southern evangelical/ non-denominational megachurches and the culture surrounding many of them. The main problem is that a lot of these people take it as their personal mission to try and convert people. It seems they're not truly comfortable until everyone else believes what they do.

I had first hand experience of this at A&M when some of the european international students I was friends with said people basically would trick them into going to this "cool event" that ended up being breakaway. I was pretty embarrassed to hear that, and usually apologetic that some of their first experiences at A&M were people trying to get them to go to church. It mirrors what I found when first moving to Texas where if you were white people always asked "what church do you go to?" very casually since they assume everyone is like them. This never happened to me growing up in the midwest.

I'd also contrast this with my wife's family who grew up episcopalian in the northeast. Her aunt runs summer camps at her church for kids, but would never seek to presume someone is religious or wouldn't try to convert them. Southern strains of christianity just seem so oriented towards conversion or getting everyone else to conform to your belief system. Maybe it's just because parts of the south are more homogenous in their makeup and less people are exposed to friends growing up who are jewish, muslim, etc.

Contrast that with judaism. I went to summer camp growing up where 98% of the other campers were jewish. No one would ever try to convert you to judaism. It's wonderful--they actively don't want to recruit you! In some ways it makes judaism more alluring, because it seems more exclusive.
singapore_sling
AG
AstroAg17 said:

Doesn't proselytization make sense from the perspective of a Christian? It seems like a straightforward expression of their faith.

I get that it can be annoying and there's overlap between trying to save others and being nosy or pushy, but it's the only course of action that makes sense if you believe in their God.
No, to me it just shows a lack of awareness and arrogance. It's arrogant to think you have the answer and that everyone else should be exposed to this genius religion that you love. Also, how would these christians proseltyzing react if someone were trying to convert them to become muslim or Jehovah's witnesses?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.