Key Finding Supporting Dark Energy is in Error

2,045 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Buck Turgidson
ramblin_ag02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://phys.org/news/2020-01-evidence-key-assumption-discovery-dark.html

So apparently they looked at the changes in stellar luminosity as stars age, and they adjusted the calculations for the red-shift of distant objects. Once they did, they found that the current model of accelerating cosmic inflation isn't happening and the need for dark energy to explain the expansion also disappears. Can't wait to see if it holds up
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
schmendeler
AG
interesting
The Lone Stranger
I remember the first time a heard about dark matter. I think it was during a PBS documentary about the universe.
At first I was fascinated, then amused. Way out there light is bending but nothing is there.. So to keep our rules of physics consistent throughout the universe, someone made up a type of matter that absorbs but doesn't reflect light. I always wondered if light is absorbed, how can that matter handle all of that energy? If we no longer need dark matter to explain ways that the universe is consistent, then it no longer exists.

Sometimes cosmology is rather entertaining.
The Lone Stranger
ramblin_ag02
AG
Just to be clear, the article was in regards to dark energy. According to the current theory, the universe continues to expand ever more rapidly. To expand that much requires energy, but we can only find about 1/3 of the energy needed to drive this expansion when we look at the universe. So we assume there is some energy that we can't find causing the expansion, and we call this "dark energy".

The article states that our calculations for the rate of universe expansion are way off. So far off that we can find the right amount of energy to drive the expansion, and we don't need dark energy at all anymore.

As far as I can tell, the evidence for dark matter keeps getting stronger. They've mapped it based on gravity. It's the only way to make galaxies stay together under known physical laws. It seems to account for some the things we see in high energy events such as star-star or black hole-black hole collisions. We've also found some galaxies with almost no dark matter.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
schmendeler
AG
ib4 jpeg of jesus holding the galaxies together.
Buck Turgidson
It seems to me that many supposed intellectual giants in the field of physics might just be bad mathematicians imagining ways to force their equations to work. Dark matter! Dark energy! However many dimensions my ****ty, ill conceived formulas require! Physicists should thank God every day that they have climatologists out there to make them look better by comparison.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.