Islam Made Me Christian

3,093 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by schmendeler
jkag89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Found this article interesting and thought at least a few of you the frequent the R&P would too. It essentially tells the story how living in a Muslim country helped a cultural Catholic become a practicing one. The last paragraph of the essay:
Quote:

While living in the Muslim world, I had thought that European society was under threat from the moral traditionalism of Islam. When I returned to Europe, I realized that Islam is a lesser threat to us than we are to ourselves. There is not much left to save in Western society; our task now must be to recover what has been lost. I am grateful to Islam for helping me see this. Though I continue to reject elements of Muslim society, I have come to admire its sense of faith, which brought me back to my own. I still struggle in a society that rejects my beliefs, and in which isolation or compromise often seem the only options. At least now I have a spiritual orientation and a path forward.
Islam Made Me Christian
by Alessandra Bocchi | First Things
Martin Q. Blank

Quote:

It essentially tells the story how living in a Muslim country helped a cultural Catholic become a practicing one.
Well, then, Islam made him a Catholic, not a Christian.
jkag89
Martin Q. Blank said:

Quote:

It essentially tells the story how living in a Muslim country helped a cultural Catholic become a practicing one.
Well, then, Islam made her a Catholic, not a Christian.
FIFY, and please take your trolling somewhere else especially if you don't even take the time to read the article.
jrico2727
AG
This is such as BS attitude. The Catholic church is the first church, instituted by Christ. He only created one church. All Catholics are christians, the first christians are catholic. Everything from the holy bible to baptism has been given to all christians through the catholic church. The One Holy Catholic and Apostolic church is the body of Christ. To insult the Church is to insult Christ and his bride. Praise be to God this woman found her faith. I pray all can come back to our holy mother the Church. I pray that you can come to a full knowledge of the faith.
jkag89
Don't feed the troll.
aggiedad20
So the RCC is the church that Christ built in Acts 2? Scripture teaches Christ would build HIS church, not the Catholic Church. Or did I miss something? The churches of Christ salute you! (Romans 16:16)

I guess next you'll tell us all how Peter was the first "pope"??

Happy New Year
jrico2727
AG
Yes in Acts 2, you have all the Apostles and the Blessed Virgin Mary about to receive the Holy Spirit and teach the faith. That sounds pretty Catholic to me. You had the first Pope and the Bishops who spread the faith and created the faith communities, the first churhes, in the ancient world. As we see in Acts 15 at the coucil of Jerusalem, Peter the first Pope made the decision that the Gentiles didn't need to be circumcised to be members in the early churches . That is the same HOLY CATHOLIC and APOSTOLIC church that exists today. The bishops today are their successors in an unbroken chain.

In Matthew Our Lord Jesus Christ gives Peter the keys to heaven, making him the prime minister of his kingdom the Church. He gives Peter the power to loose and bind on earth and heaven. That sounds like papal authority to me. I am afraid your posts on this thread and the other you started tonight show a lack of knowledge of history and scripture. I will pray for you to grow in faith and knowledge. Happy New Year Brother.
Frok
AG
I thought it was an interesting article.

Quote:

And I appreciated that I had just experienced a society which, for all its faults, provided a sense of community, companionship, and transcendence that was lacking in Europe. I realized that these qualities had existed not just in the persecuted Christian groups with whom I identified, but in the broader society as well. The Muslim society I thought I despisedand still do, when it comes to the oppression of women and Christianslooked superior to my own when I considered the sense of purpose it provided to its people. I watched some of the friends I had grown up with drink, party, and engage in all kinds of sexual activities without much thought. I saw them in a different light.

This is very true. Our society is becoming rather meaningless and it seems almost nothing is sacred anymore.

Win At Life
AG
James made the decision in Acts 15. We know based on scripture that Paul was a student of Hillel and it is likely that James was a student of the house of Shamai, which if you knew their doctrine it makes sense that James's decision is the one that settles the matter. But that's all part of the Jewish beginning of the faith that your anti Semitic gentile church suppressed by changing the Mashiach's name from a Jewish sounding Yeshua to a Greek sounding eesoose and then moved farther from scripture by incorporating pagan influences. Come out of her my people.
jrico2727
AG
Peter settle the issue and James made the clearification on how his decision would be applied. That they wouldn't eat any food offered to idols, sexual immorality, ect. The Church is not the pagan and gentile institution you accuse her if being. It is the continuation of the messianic kingdom of David and Solomn. We know serve Jesus Christ the king who made all peoples clean and is the fulfilment of all the jewish covenants.
one MEEN Ag
AG
Man. The Catholics insistence that they are THE church always comes off like football players who say 'THE Ohio State University.' It reeks of unfounded pride that 'they are first and right.' It's one thing to respect the history of the church, but in these discussions it's never about that.

Just a little reading up on the Great Schism of 1054 makes the whole events come across as a giant power play for one group to submit to the will of another. Nothing more.

Looks like everyone's gonna need to read Jonah and brush up on what it means to be pharisaical. Jesus is the focus, not this.

Zobel
AG
I agree that there is a world of difference between a kid of triumphalism and a confession. Part of the problem is a variance in the understanding of what church means. When it becomes a sect, or a question of some kind of proof-check of rightness, the debate devolves as you note. On the other hand, it's no better to use this to deny the necessity of church altogether, which is more or less what the typical Protestant reaction is.

The "original" church can't be understood in the context of the first of a plurality. It must be understood as the only, apart from which there is no other. And this Church is not only of Christ but is Christ...constituted by and in Him. And when you come to this level, it becomes a pivotal question.

I think it's right to object to the useless chest beating; wrong to conclude it's not relevant.
jrico2727
AG
That was not my intention at all. I was responding to direct attacks on the Church. I love the church and will defend her when I see her being misrepresented. I tried respond directly and with charity, but also I am not going to water down the truth about the Church. As our Lord says "Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. hen he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it."
jkag89
Guess what, Catholics get equally tired of being told we are not Christians.
agdad4x
This discussion reminds me of the joke about the guy that went to heaven and St. Peter was showing him around,

the two came to a mansion up on a hill and the new guy could see a grand party going on, boozing and what have you happening, they walked past the mansion and the new guy asked who was in the mansion and St Peter replied "the Baptist"...they get to do in heaven what they could not do on earth,

the two continued past several other mansions with pretty much the same response, then they came to another mansion and St Peter said "Quiet, we have to sneak past these people"

after the two had gotten past that mansion, the new guy asked who that was and St. Peter replied:

"those are the Catholics, they think they are the only ones up here."
BusterAg
AG
Frok said:

I thought it was an interesting article.

Quote:

And I appreciated that I had just experienced a society which, for all its faults, provided a sense of community, companionship, and transcendence that was lacking in Europe. I realized that these qualities had existed not just in the persecuted Christian groups with whom I identified, but in the broader society as well. The Muslim society I thought I despisedand still do, when it comes to the oppression of women and Christianslooked superior to my own when I considered the sense of purpose it provided to its people. I watched some of the friends I had grown up with drink, party, and engage in all kinds of sexual activities without much thought. I saw them in a different light.

This is very true. Our society is becoming rather meaningless and it seems almost nothing is sacred anymore.

I like Dostoevsky on this topic. Great quote from Demons:

Quote:

Science and reason have, from the beginning of time, played a secondary and subordinate part in the life of nations; so it will be till the end of time. Nations are built up and moved by another force which sways and dominates them, the origin of which is unknown and inexplicable: that force is the force of an insatiable desire to go on to the end, though at the same time it denies that end. It is the force of the persistent assertion of one's own existence, and a denial of death. It's the spirit of life, as the Scriptures call it, 'the river of living water,' the drying up of which is threatened in the Apocalypse. It's the sthetic principle, as the philosophers call it, the ethical principle with which they identify it, 'the seeking for God,' as I call it more simply. The object of every national movement, in every people and at every period of its existence is only the seeking for its god, who must be its own god, and the faith in Him as the only true one. God is the synthetic personality of the whole people, taken from its beginning to its end. It has never happened that all, or even many, peoples have had one common god, but each has always had its own. It's a sign of the decay of nations when they begin to have gods in common. When gods begin to be common to several nations the gods are dying and the faith in them, together with the nations themselves. The stronger a people the more individual their God. There never has been a nation without a religion, that is, without an idea of good and evil. Every people has its own conception of good and evil, and its own good and evil. When the same conceptions of good and evil become prevalent in several nations, then these nations are dying, and then the very distinction between good and evil is beginning to disappear. Reason has never had the power to define good and evil, or even to distinguish between good and evil, even approximately; on the contrary, it has always mixed them up in a disgraceful and pitiful way; science has even given the solution by the fist. This is particularly characteristic of the half-truths of science, the most terrible scourge of humanity, unknown till this century, and worse than plague, famine, or war. A half-truth is a despot... such as has never been in the world before. A despot that has its priests and its slaves, a despot to whom all do homage with love and superstition hitherto inconceivable, before which science itself trembles and cringes in a shameful way.
jkag89
Keep in mind it wasn't Catholics that sidetracked the discussion. In no shape or form did I expect this thread would head in this direction when posting this essay.
schmendeler
AG
agdad4x said:

This discussion reminds me of the joke about the guy that went to heaven and St. Peter was showing him around,

the two came to a mansion up on a hill and the new guy could see a grand party going on, boozing and what have you happening, they walked past the mansion and the new guy asked who was in the mansion and St Peter replied "the Baptist"...they get to do in heaven what they could not do on earth,

the two continued past several other mansions with pretty much the same response, then they came to another mansion and St Peter said "Quiet, we have to sneak past these people"

after the two had gotten past that mansion, the new guy asked who that was and St. Peter replied:

"those are the Catholics, they think they are the only ones up here."

that joke doesn't make sense with catholics as the punchline. much better with Jehovah's witnesses or pentecostals.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.