Blood beneath broad stripes and bright stars

991 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Martin Q. Blank
PacifistAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Blood beneath broad stripes and bright stars

Great piece from Church Times.

UTExan
My (Assembly of God) church does not have any flag displayed. I cannot tell you if the staff is Republican or Democrat because that is not what they preach about. Yet, for security reasons we have a uniformed police officer providing security at each of the 3 weekend services. Perhaps we are an outlier, but it strikes me the phone company does not provide the things a government provides: a safety net for the poor, a defense against foreign invasion and domestic criminal activity, enforcement of contract law, provision for a system of law for dispute settlement and a host of other public goods supported by taxes which benefit society and me directly. In exchange I consider the country worth defending.
BusterAg
AG
Religious freedom is at the very heart of why this country has chosen to fight.

There is a big, big difference between a government where the state is sacred, a la Rome, and a government organized under the idea that liberty (including religious liberty) is sacred, and an idea worth rallying around and fighting for. If our government ever gets to the point where liberty is not the foundation, it should be abolished. Therefore, it is not the state that we honor our fallen for fighting for. It is our freedom.

The author misses this by a mile.
Martin Q. Blank

Quote:

A telephone company might provide us with some useful services, but it does not command our allegiance. It does not hold our moral and political imaginations captive. Whatever goods the nation-state provides for its citizens are relative, not absolute, goods.

Religious communities are doing the greatest political service not when they attempt to manoeuvre their way into political power, so that they can wield the state's monopoly on violence for putatively righteous ends, but when they work to create alternative social spaces that make the violence of nation and empire subversively and unmistakably clear.
This article makes no sense. You are part of a nation whether you like it or not. Creating your own "social space", while treating that other "social space" as a "telephone company", is simply making your own nation-state in conflict with the one you were born into (which you are still reaping the benefits from). Feel free to call it "Christian" or "alternative". That will be Article I in your new constitution.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.