The Power of the Rosary

7,626 Views | 83 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by jrico2727
Catag94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thaddeus73 said:

What he is saying is that Mother Mary will see to it that you not only amend your life by reducing your sinfulness, increasing your repentance and sorrow for your sins, putting the right people in your path to lead you to her Son, and making sure that you don't die with an unprovided death (sans sacraments). Catholics are in a covenant relationship with Jesus (the NEW Covenant), and like in any covenant, you get the other person's entire family, including the Mother as part of your new covenant family.

Meditating on the Passion, the Resurrection, the Birth of Jesus and all of the other events in the Bible through the Rosary along with saying the first words of salvation by Gabriel in the New Testament has GREAT power. It has certainly worked for me. While I'm not perfect, I'm certainly more attuned to the Will of God than I have ever been before.

And like Mary after she found Jesus in the temple, we ponder all of these things in our heart. How you can possibly see that as bad is beyond me.

I didn't say I see it as bad and, in fact I don't. I do however, believe that all Christians are in a new covenant relationship with Jesus (not just those of the Catholic faith) and make up the church. I believe we should be seeking Christ and to serve God continually. Praying the rosary is/can be part of doing that as are many other things. I personally prefer to know Jesus more by studying his words and all scriptures and striving to pray, as Paul wrote, without ceasing. Having that relationship you mentioned, which includes being baptized with the Holy Spirit, gives us that opportunity.

I have a close family member who believes as the quote in your OP suggests and prays the rosary each morning. I suspect she does this as she does the Lord's Prayer and blessings before and after meals, etc.; as quickly as possible and likely with no meditation. At the risk of sounding completely judge-mental, but because I know this person very well, I can say that there is nearly no evidence of compassion, love for fellow man, or anything else that would indicate she actually has the Spirit of God in her. Most everything that comes from her mouth is indicative of a heart not changed by Christ. And, I believe that you can tell a tree by its fruit. I say that to say this, first I pray for her and engage her on our relationship with Christ. Second, I fear that sometimes, some people (she being one) believe that just the acts of saying the rosary, attending church (in her case, Mass), and doing other religious acts, gain them salvation and yet, they have never actually met Christ. I fear these people are some of whom Jesus has in mind in Matthew 7:21-23.
So, my engaging you on your OP was not to argue or to suggest praying the rosary is bad, but rather to better understand what Catholics truly believe.
Serotonin
AG
She doesn't sound any better or worse than you or me.

Perhaps the rosary has saved her from many grave sins.
dermdoc
AG
I pray the Rosary and Orthodox prayers daily and I go to a non denominational church. You bring up a great point as when you get old like me you can tell very quickly people who know the Lord and who don't. Imho, has nothing to do with denomination, church attendance, etc. To me, Christianity is a relationship, not a "religion". It is about a complete change of heart which is reflected via fruits, I. e. basically how you treat and interact with others.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Catag94
AG
Gator03 said:

She doesn't sound any better or worse than you or me.

Perhaps the rosary has saved her from many grave sins.

I think I somewhat understand your point but I would say that if she doesn't actually know Christ, and isn't baptized by the Holy Spirit, the she is worse off than I and all other who do/are. I would also say, or rather the scriptures do, that Rosary prayers don't save one from any sins. Christ's sacrifice and that alone does.
PabloSerna
AG
I like what I was told long time ago .. that praying the rosary is like holding Our Lady's hand as she tells you about the life of Jesus.
Catag94
AG
I like that analogy.
Zobel
AG

Quote:

Second, I fear that sometimes, some people (she being one) believe that just the acts of saying the rosary, attending church (in her case, Mass), and doing other religious acts, gain them salvation and yet, they have never actually met Christ. I fear these people are some of whom Jesus has in mind in Matthew 7:21-23.
This has many names: the sickness of religion, or mistaking religion for philosophy i.e., the myth of religious fulfillment, or a transactional approach to faith.

I find the protestant objection to liturgical worship (including prayer rules) interesting, because to my eye protestant worship is every bit as formulaic and ritualized as Orthodox...just new routines, and new traditions, with smaller footprints of adoption.

Anyone can worship by rote. God spoke through Jeremiah in a kind of terrifying way to the Israelites: Do not trust in these false words, saying, 'The temple of the LORD, the temple of the LORD, the temple of the LORD.' This caution is for all of us. We should all guard against these false words in any form, and redouble our efforts to work out our salvation with fear and trembling, pluck out the eye that causes us to sin, and humble ourselves before God. When we offer ourselves and our whole lives as living sacrifices to God, this is true worship.
jrico2727
AG
Wouldn't it be up to Christ to judge the state of one's heart and soul? If she is a practicing Catholic she would have been baptized and anointed at confirmation thus she would have received the Holy Spirit. Not everyone expresses faith with emotions and we should be careful to judge what other people status is with God.
Catag94
AG
dermdoc said:

I pray the Rosary and Orthodox prayers daily and I go to a non denominational church. You bring up a great point as when you get old like me you can tell very quickly people who know the Lord and who don't. Imho, has nothing to do with denomination, church attendance, etc. To me, Christianity is a relationship, not a "religion". It is about a complete change of heart which is reflected via fruits, I. e. basically how you treat and interact with others.

I like your humble opinion. Well said sir.
Thaddeus73
AG
Anybody who just rattles off the rosary prayers with no meditation on the mystery gets no benefit from it. The vocal prayers and the meditation on the mysteries in the bible are like a great song with a harmony AND a melody. Take either away, and the song loses its transcendance...Exorcists like Fr. Ripperger have said that the devil really, really hates the rosary, so I try to meditate with it a lot.

One of the insights that came to me while meditating on the carrying of the cross (this is my PERSONAL insight, not official church teaching) is that the cross Jesus was carrying to Calvary represents the tree of knowledge of good and evil, i.e., the heavy burden man has carried with him since Adam, that is, the disobedience of Adam in the Garden of Eden. BUT, once Jesus was nailed to the cross, he sanctified it with his precious body and blood, and therefore turned the cross into the tree of life for us, so that now we can live forever with him in heaven, and be totally united to the Godhead, partaking in His divine nature, as Peter says.

Catag94
AG
Very well said IMHO, and I really like the revelation you received on the cross.
Thaddeus73
AG
Another one I got was that Jesus is the second Adam, according to Paul.

In Genesis, God created man out of the dust of the earth and blew the breath of life into him.

At Calvary, man made Jesus fall into the dust 3 times in order to take the breath of life out of him...

PabloSerna
AG
GEN 3:14

"The LORD God said to the serpent, 'Because you have done this, Cursed are you ... You will crawl on your belly and you will eat dust all the days of your life."

Thaddeus73
AG
https://www.ncregister.com/blog/longenecker/10-reasons-why-the-rosary-is-so-powerful
jrico2727
AG
Pope Francis is asking for a 9pm Rosary tomorrow from all the faithful. If you are able join in with your entire family. This could be a Lepanto moment.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.