Sorry For The Really Stupid Question , Word Problems.

1,258 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 94chem
Madman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For the life of me I can't figure out or remember the word for something.

Similar to a riddle but meant to be an unsolvable word problem.

What are these called and where can I find a list of them? I keep coming back to riddle but those generally have a solution. What I am looking for is more of a philosophical unanswerable question.

I know they have a name I just can't remember it.
swimmerbabe11
Conundrum?
Post removed:
by user
americathegreat1492
Only two things that come to mind are enigma and anagrams, but anagrams aren't usually unsolvable, just varying in difficulty.
Thomas Sowell, PhD
AG
Aggie Football?
bmks270
AG
Fallacy?
Thomas Sowell, PhD
AG
Koan: a paradoxical anecdote or riddle, used in Zen Buddhism to demonstrate the inadequacy of logical reasoning and to provoke enlightenment.
Kool
AG
Rhetorical question? Not exactly lining up with what you're asking but close.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Madman
AG
That may be it.

The one that I always remember is about how it is impossible to run a mile. Because to run a mile you would first have to run a half mile. And to run a half mile you would have to run a 1/4 mile. But first 1/8th, etc. it then goes on to explain that you would have to do an infinite number of halves if you will (original is worded better).

And obviously people can run a mile but the little story shows how with words you can make something possible impossible. Or disprove the possible or in some cases prove the impossible.
craigernaught
AG
The mile half mile issue is the philosopher Zeno's most famous paradox.

You're thinking of a paradox.
ramblin_ag02
AG
That is also close to sophistry, basically confusing and misleading using language. For example "the dog is yours", "the dog is a father", "therefore the dog is your father"
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
94chem
ramblin_ag02 said:

That is also close to sophistry, basically confusing and misleading using language. For example "the dog is yours", "the dog is a father", "therefore the dog is your father"

That would also make him a son of a bltch, correct?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.