How important would it be to you to retrieve a loved one's body?

2,358 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by swimmerbabe11
Kool
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
New Zealand Volcano risky retrieval

I was listening to and reading about the risky retrieval of the bodies of those tragically killed by the volcano in New Zealand, and it got me thinking. I have never had a loved one die whose body was not found/not retrieved, etc. I understand that there is a degree of closure that this retrieval might bring, but I personally believe that I would NOT want anyone to risk their lives in order to bring back a deceased relative or loved one's body. To me, I would most definitely want to know whether or not they were dead or alive (I imagine that it must have been horrible for those with POW/MIA situations in wartime), but if I knew that the person were dead, I would NEVER want someone else to risk the same fate. Any thoughts, either by those who do or do not believe in the afterlife?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Repeat the Line
0%
PA24
AG
Zero
I understand the mourning process, strong desire to show our love for the decease. How often do u go visit dead love ones? Maybe at the next funeral u stop by a gravestone and remember for a minute or two.

Wife and I have purchased a natural death burial. Body will decay without being pumped full of preservatives. Wrapped in a shroud and placed in the earth, dust to dust. Marker is a rock.

ramblin_ag02
AG
Same. The only thing a body would do for me is convince me the person is actually dead and not just missing. If I knew they were dead for sure, then I wouldn't care a bit
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Frok
AG
I would understand that you can't risk another life retrieving my loved one's body but it would certainly upset me to not get it.

Martin Q. Blank
I would put out some effort. I can't say I can quantify it into % or amount of risk. Even when the soul has departed, their body is still "them" and I wouldn't want them to simply be left somewhere.
Serotonin
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

I would put out some effort. I can't say I can quantify it into % or amount of risk. Even when the soul has departed, their body is still "them" and I wouldn't want them to simply be left somewhere.

swimmerbabe11
I echo the sentiments of Frok and MQB. I'm that weirdo who hugs or kisses the body of my loved ones at funerals to say goodbye. I would hate to not get that closure. Our bodies are still "us"
zephyr88
AG
A body is just an empty shell. The spirit has moved on. The risk is certainly not worth it.
swimmerbabe11
zephyr88 said:

A body is just an empty shell.

I would argue that this is the sort of attitude that Christians are trying to avoid when we say cremation and whatnot is suboptimal.
schmendeler
AG
i think there is some closure from having undeniable proof that your loved one is gone, but if you know with reasonable certainty that they are dead, it's not worth endangering someone else's life to retrieve their body.
UTExan
Cemetery= Nobody's Home.

It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Post removed:
by user
BaitShack
AG
Seemed a little odd to me for all the effort to recover JFK Jr from the ocean, only to dump his ashes in the ocean a few days later.
Krazykat
AG
I would not want someone to risk their life to retrieve a body. As a Christian, I believe the body is just a vessel to hold the soul on our earthly journey.
swimmerbabe11
Do you not believe in the resurrection of the body??
Kool
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

Do you not believe in the resurrection of the body??

I'm glad you brought that up. Resurrection of the body makes me LESS concerned about my body when I'm dead. Surely God wouldn't play a joke on me a SECOND time and give me the same worn out piece of junk I'm dragging around now
swimmerbabe11
Hmm I don't think it will be a different body..just made restored, new, perfect, etc.
CrackerJackAg
AG
100%

I would PERSONALLY do everything I could.

If that meant me having to go myself I would. If I couldn't do it and it meant employing someone I would.

I believe in the bodily Resurrection of the Dead.
ramblin_ag02
AG
I don't get it either. I know that historically Christians favor burial, but I don't understand the reason. After all, a few years underground and we're pretty much just bones anyway. It's not like Christians are out mummifying bodies or performing taxidermy so that we are pristine at the resurrection
Krazykat
AG
Why do we need a body in Heaven?
PA24
AG

Clearly, the. heavenly body will be magnificent while this earthly body rots even while it is the container for our soul.

Dust to dust...amen
88Warrior
...The only thing that matters, as far as what we do on Earth, is accept Him as our Lord and Savior...How we leave our earthly bodies after we pass means nothing..imho...
Pro Sandy
AG
These families in New Zealand are being extremely selfish and self centered in demanding the NZ government risk people's lives going into a volcano that still has a very high potential to erupt to retrieve the bodies of those who voluntarily placed themselves in an extremely dangerous situation.
Zobel
AG
You're espousing something like a pagan dualism.

Christ was incarnate and His resurrected body was still very much His body.

Humans are not a soul and body as separate things, but a single entity which is both body and spirit. This is taught from the very first pages of scripture.
Line up and wait 18L
I have a friend who is a protestant pastor. He once told me he knows that once you pass on it's not that important what happens to your earthly body but.............he didn't want to be cremated and didn't want his organs harvested.
Martin Q. Blank
Wrangler said:

I would not want someone to risk their life to retrieve a body. As a Christian, I believe the body is just a vessel to hold the soul on our earthly journey.
The soul is immaterial. How does a body "hold" the soul?
schmendeler
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

Wrangler said:

The soul is immaterial. How does a body "hold" the soul?
like. a. glove.
swimmerbabe11
The way we treat dead bodies with respect is a witness for the world about our beliefs regarding the union of body and soul.

If our bodies weren't important, why would Christ have gone to the trouble of resurrecting His flesh, if simply appearing like an ethereal spirit would have done the trick.

The things we do, traditions and whatnot, are teaching tools for both the outside world and Christendom itself. A proper respect for the dead body reminds us that we will be getting them back.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.