Seeking advice from board gays

2,894 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Duncan Idaho
americathegreat1492
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I was curious if you could tell me a little bit about what it was like to still be in the closet, especially if you were raised religious and especially if that religion was Catholic. What kind of advice would you go back in time and give yourself? What kind of things do you wish you had done differently? What kinds of things did you hear from friends that demonstrated their love for you? I know someone that is still in the closet to their family and I just want to try and be a good friend right now.

swimmerbabe11
A friend of mine wrote this:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/torreygazette.com/blog/2015/10/26/on-my-struggle-with-homosexuality%3fformat=amp

diehard03
Quote:

What kinds of things did you hear from friends that demonstrated their love for you? I know someone that is still in the closet to their family and I just want to try and be a good friend right now.

I commend you in your desire to serve.
schmendeler
AG
how strong is your brunch game?
Beer Baron
AG
What is their situation outside that with their family? If they're in the same sad camp as that guy swimmer posted, I don't think my experience would necessarily be helpful to them. If they want to date and experience life as a gay person I'm happy to chat. Prefer not to here though.
americathegreat1492
Interesting. I have some thoughts on the broader frame or perspective that I feel bleeding through that and is related to Christianity in general. It's a whole other long-ass post though. Thanks for the link.
americathegreat1492
They are in great shape with their family but one member is very ill right now. They haven't explicitly stated it, but I have a suspicion that they think coming out while this person is ill would be extremely complicated, to say th least. I don't know that they would want to date others or speak to someone, but I appreciate the offer.
Beer Baron
AG
Sorry - wasn't trying to set them up or offering to speak to them, but I can see how you read it that way. Just meant I'd speak to you if this person wasn't doing the celibate thing swimmer's friend is doing. I guess a better way to ask is, are they struggling in the way swimmer's friend is, where they think it's wrong and bad and something to overcome, or are they mostly ok with it themselves but struggling with how to deal with the fallout of family finding out. Those are two very different struggles and I can only offer advice on the latter.
schmendeler
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

A friend of mine wrote this:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/torreygazette.com/blog/2015/10/26/on-my-struggle-with-homosexuality%3fformat=amp

how incredibly sad for that person that their religious beliefs give them such misery.

but also, it sounds like that guy is bi, not homosexual. he says that's he's also attracted to women.
Good Bull Jones 17
AG
I thought that article by your friend was incredibly inspiring. Gave me new inspiration to not be a slave to sin and be a slave to Christ instead.

His extraordinary love for Christ is amazing. I feel bad for him but his resilience is impressive.
Thomas Sowell, PhD
AG
Just had a theoretical question - NOT my stance. If a person decides to love a same sex person, kiss them, sleep next to them, etc ... but does not have sexual relations with them does this break any admonishments from the Bible? Would "traditional" mainstream Christians have legitimate Bible based objections to such a limited practice of love?
Zobel
AG
Why you gotta bring Michael Jackson into this?
Beer Baron
AG
DrHeadShrink said:

Just had a theoretical question - NOT my stance. If a person decides to love a same sex person, kiss them, sleep next to them, etc ... but does not have sexual relations with them does this break any admonishments from the Bible? Would "traditional" mainstream Christians have legitimate Bible based objections to such a limited practice of love?
Always wondered this myself. I feel like it's would still be considered "wrong" to them because otherwise you're just describing any gay couple at any point in time when sex isn't happening.
craigernaught
AG
In the ancient world, loving another man, sleeping next to them, and kissing them would all have been very normal. That person would likely be the man's brother or cousin.

But this isn't exactly what the hypothetical is addressing which is part of the reason why the context, both modern and ancient, matters but is often ignored. The Bible addresses problems of its day directly and, often, ours only indirectly.
craigernaught
AG
That's exactly the issue. The context is different. The Bible doesn't really speak to modern issues that the authors couldn't imagine.

It's like asking if the Bible supports capitalism or communism. The answer is obviously neither.
schmendeler
AG
craigernaught said:

It's like asking if the Bible supports capitalism or communism. The answer is obviously neither.
Forum 16 would beg to differ.
schmendeler
AG
AstroAg17 said:

I feel like if you took a poll and asked "does the Bible support Capitalism, Communism, or neither", neither would not be the winning answer choice.

So that seems not obvious.
i can guarantee what the answer would be if you asked who was more christlike: Greta Thunberg or Donald Trump.
Duncan Idaho
schmendeler said:

AstroAg17 said:

I feel like if you took a poll and asked "does the Bible support Capitalism, Communism, or neither", neither would not be the winning answer choice.

So that seems not obvious.
i can guarantee what the answer would be if you asked who was more christlike: Greta Thunberg or Donald Trump.

How dare you?!!?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.