Millennials leaving religion and not coming back

7,257 Views | 93 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by HossAg
NonReg85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
P.C. Principal said:

chimpanzee said:

Duncan Idaho said:

I will sum it up with a meme that effectively reflects my interactions with the sub 30 crowd

Well here are the quotes fro. Franklin Graham

Quote:

Mr. Clinton's months-long extramarital sexual behavior in the Oval Office now concerns him and the rest of the world, not just his immediate family. If he will lie to or mislead his wife and daughter, those with whom he is most intimate, what will prevent him from doing the same to the American public?

And

Quote:

And I think this thing with Stormy Daniels and so forth is nobody's business. And we've got other business at hand that we need to deal with.

The overlap and conflation between and among religion and self serving politics is shameful and as predictable as the sunrise.
Absolutely spot on.

I can't speak for everyone but I can speak for myself. This is a big reason--the incredible hypocrisy of the evangelical right. No, it's not everyone and yes, we're all hypocritical to a degree. But looking at the evangelical right's responses to Bill Clinton (torches and pitchforks) and Donald Trump (looking the other way, "I didn't elect a pastor I elected a president", etc.) speaks volumes. Religion IS a political tool for them. It's why they don't bat an eye at Trump bullying people, cheating on his wives, or unethical business practices, because he's part of the tribe and we stick together. If he says something sick and cruel to someone (e.g. the Dingell comments this week), the response is "well, I didn't wanna elect a nice guy. I elected an ******* who gets stuff done!"

What my big realization here was that these types of people aren't guided by principles or values. They're guided by tribalism and religion is their tool for moral high ground. They believe God is on their side so they can't be wrong. They'll go to church on Sunday and hear a nice sermon, and maybe they'll sincerely believe in what they're hearing, but if it's politically inconvenient for them, well forget about it.

And millennials like me, looking at big names like Robert Jeffress and Jerry Falwell Jr. I look at them and think about how they aren't really faith leaders, but bull**** artists using religion as a political tool to support their man/party. Lots of young people associate this attitude with the church as a whole and want no part of it.
I agree with to an extent but I think you underestimate the degree to which Clinton changed the way American's view their elected official's personal lives. His terms as president were so sordid that many, including those of the evangelical right became jaded and truly changed their attitude about it.

We also got to read, "The Dark Side of Camelot," in the late nineties which exposed the JFK white house. I think there has been genuine change in attitude about what we can expect (in terms of personal morality) from a person who is enough of a narcissist to run for president.
P.C. Principal
one MEEN Ag said:

P.C. Principal said:

chimpanzee said:

Duncan Idaho said:

I will sum it up with a meme that effectively reflects my interactions with the sub 30 crowd

Well here are the quotes fro. Franklin Graham

Quote:

Mr. Clinton's months-long extramarital sexual behavior in the Oval Office now concerns him and the rest of the world, not just his immediate family. If he will lie to or mislead his wife and daughter, those with whom he is most intimate, what will prevent him from doing the same to the American public?

And

Quote:

And I think this thing with Stormy Daniels and so forth is nobody's business. And we've got other business at hand that we need to deal with.

The overlap and conflation between and among religion and self serving politics is shameful and as predictable as the sunrise.
Absolutely spot on.

I can't speak for everyone but I can speak for myself. This is a big reason--the incredible hypocrisy of the evangelical right. No, it's not everyone and yes, we're all hypocritical to a degree. But looking at the evangelical right's responses to Bill Clinton (torches and pitchforks) and Donald Trump (looking the other way, "I didn't elect a pastor I elected a president", etc.) speaks volumes. Religion IS a political tool for them. It's why they don't bat an eye at Trump bullying people, cheating on his wives, or unethical business practices, because he's part of the tribe and we stick together. If he says something sick and cruel to someone (e.g. the Dingell comments this week), the response is "well, I didn't wanna elect a nice guy. I elected an ******* who gets stuff done!"

What my big realization here was that these types of people aren't guided by principles or values. They're guided by tribalism and religion is their tool for moral high ground. They believe God is on their side so they can't be wrong. They'll go to church on Sunday and hear a nice sermon, and maybe they'll sincerely believe in what they're hearing, but if it's politically inconvenient for them, well forget about it.

And millennials like me, looking at big names like Robert Jeffress and Jerry Falwell Jr. I look at them and think about how they aren't really faith leaders, but bull**** artists using religion as a political tool to support their man/party. Lots of young people associate this attitude with the church as a whole and want no part of it.
See, you've created an argument that someone who votes for a politician has to believe/condone everything that politician does. Christians are easy to attach to the republican party because democrats don't cater to the christian audience.

In a two party system, you don't get that. And while there are reservations with any candidate, people vote against the other candidate, not for a guy.

Don't really have a choice but to support Republicans if you don't want your 401ks raided and crippling medicar for all. Insert sweeping generalizations about previous generations and their political affiliations. Those heartless, vile republicans vs the cool, understanding democrats that just want a few cents extra out of your pocket.

Give me a break.
I'm not really referring to the Christians who feel "politically homeless" and voting R because they are equally if not more turned off by the Ds, which I absolutely understand. More so referring to the ones who embrace it and intertwine it with their faith. Like the specific names I mentioned in my post.
TexasAggie81
Here is an insightful article based on polling about this issue:

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2018/08/08/why-americas-nones-dont-identify-with-a-religion/
UTExan
Most young people in America take a leave of absence from organized faith groups while in their youth, I suspect. Later, when they no longer allow their elders to define their relationship with God, they return.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
dermdoc
AG
UTExan said:

Most young people in America take a leave of absence from organized faith groups while in their youth, I suspect. Later, when they no longer allow their elders to define their relationship with God, they return.
Agree. In my case, God pursued me and would not let me go.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PacifistAg
AG
UTExan said:

This was me. Grew up in a cult. Once out of the house, went to a godless, violent world (Army). When I went to check off a box by visiting the church across the street, I felt loved in a church for the first time ever. Began taking His words seriously, and here I am today.
UTExan
PacifistAg said:

UTExan said:

This was me. Grew up in a cult. Once out of the house, went to a godless, violent world (Army). When I went to check off a box by visiting the church across the street, I felt loved in a church for the first time ever. Began taking His words seriously, and here I am today.

It's what amazes me about God. He reaches us wherever we are. He refuses to give up on us.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Thomas Sowell, PhD
AG
I love the quote, "God has no grandchildren."
MouthBQ98
AG
I'd argue they are selecting different ideologies that effectively are religions. They have all the same basic structural components of religious practice: a code of beliefs and orthodoxy, forbidden behaviors and beliefs, the sacred, mechanisms for enforcement of conformity or punishment of nonconformity, faith in an idealistic or unknown future, a structural hierarchy.

People still search for purpose and meaning: they are just finding it outside traditional religion. The somewhat alarming part is that many seem to believe they are not still effectively engaging in a religious practice and think they are secular and therefore that the implementation of their beliefs in a political system is acceptable.
Thaddeus73
AG
It's not just millenials

It's across the board. Which means that there will be chaos in this country pretty soon. No Jesus, no peace. Know Jesus, know peace...
bmks270
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

I'd argue they are selecting different ideologies that effectively are religions. They have all the same basic structural components of religious practice: a code of beliefs and orthodoxy, forbidden behaviors and beliefs, the sacred, mechanisms for enforcement of conformity or punishment of nonconformity, faith in an idealistic or unknown future, a structural hierarchy.

People still search for purpose and meaning: they are just finding it outside traditional religion. The somewhat alarming part is that many seem to believe they are not still effectively engaging in a religious practice and think they are secular and therefore that the implementation of their beliefs in a political system is acceptable.

I had a college course title "Religion and Popular Culture" in college. It was pretty good and it covered exactly this. The three main ideas were:

Religion in Popular Culture.
Popular Culture in Religion.
Popular Culture AS Religion.

The third was the most interesting. Here is the book by the professor "The Sacred Santa" that proposed consumerism as the dominant religion of the West.

Review of the book that concisely explains it:

Quote:

This is a compelling work relating consumerism with religions. DeChant delves into comparisons between shaman, priests, etc., as they exist within today's religion of economy. (He says economy serves the same function as nature did in relgions of old--that is, it is an uncontrollable power that must be appeased.)

The main point--Christmas has not been desacrilized. Rather, it has become a sacred holiday of the emerging dominant religion, consumerism.

This is a splendid work for anyone interested in religion or consumerism.

Funky Winkerbean
AG
Aggrad08 said:

You'd lose that bet. You can't be anti nuclear or anti GMO (this stupidity is split equally among parties) and be pro science. There is no pro science party, it's a shame.

If I oppose abortion am I anti science?

Your premise is false.
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
dermdoc
AG
If you read the Bible, especially the OT, there have always been times of following God and not following God. The interesting thing is that God always has mercy and restores His people. I firmly believe that God is in control and will restore the Church.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Aggrad08
AG
Troutslime said:

Aggrad08 said:

You'd lose that bet. You can't be anti nuclear or anti GMO (this stupidity is split equally among parties) and be pro science. There is no pro science party, it's a shame.

Your premise is false.

I never said anything about abortion. Republicans aren't anti science for their abortion views
dermdoc
AG
Aggrad08 said:

Troutslime said:

Aggrad08 said:

Your premise is false.

I never said anything about abortion. Republicans aren't anti science for their abortion views
Neither party has a monopoly on their embrace of true science. They only talk about "science" that furthers their political agenda. I mean, the lefties have used "ice age", acid rain, and of course the latest "climate change". Ll of these have been used by the left to attempt to gain more control of private businesses.

If I am not mistaken I have been told by the left that "global warming" would cause catastrophic effects. And that was twenty years ago.
Aggrad08
AG
Which is exactly the point I made earlier in the thread?
Duncan Idaho
You might want to pick another example than acid rain.

Acid rain is a pretty clear win for environmental protection efforts
Slim Isle
Send every millennial you know videos of Billy Graham sermons . Don't wait. Do it now. That's what I do. It actually really works.
Zobel
AG
Every millennial response "ok boomer"
Slim Isle
That's okay too I'm strong in my faith. Doesn't phase me. The ones that respond like that think they have life all figured out and think they need no help. They can't fathom what a relationship with God would be like. The Devil comes in disguise and they won't be ready - they won't be able to quote scripture to keep the Devil at bay.
PacifistAg
AG
Roots86 said:

Send every millennial you know videos of Billy Graham sermons . Don't wait. Do it now. That's what I do. It actually really works.
I'm a GenXer, but this wouldn't have done anything for me. My personal view on it is that the witness of the American church has become extremely tainted among young people because they grew up in a heavily "church-oriented" society that came across as oppressive and angry that was more focused on behavior modification and hell-avoidance than heart modification and living out the red letters. I think people, especially younger people, long for something that Americanized Christianity hasn't offered, which is a radical love of others.

Just my 2 cents. I may be completely wrong though. I grew up in the independent fundamental baptist cult though, so my perspective may be skewed.
PacifistAg
AG
Roots86 said:

That's okay too I'm strong in my faith. Doesn't phase me. The ones that respond like that think they have life all figured out and think they need no help. They can't fathom what a relationship with God would be like. The Devil comes in disguise and they won't be ready - they won't be able to quote scripture to keep the Devil at bay.
Maybe they have a relationship with God, but they wouldn't respond the same as you to Billy Graham sermons. Maybe they'd be more impacted by the writings of the early church instead of the sermons of Billy Graham. That's okay. Your response that their response means they can't fathom what a relationship with God would be like only reinforces their response.
Zobel
AG
Let me rephrase: me, if you sent that to me "ok boomer".
PacifistAg
AG
Well, you clearly can't fathom what a relationship with God is like.
HossAg
AG
PacifistAg said:

Roots86 said:

I'm a GenXer, but this wouldn't have done anything for me. My personal view on it is that the witness of the American church has become extremely tainted among young people because they grew up in a heavily "church-oriented" society that came across as oppressive and angry that was more focused on behavior modification and hell-avoidance than heart modification and living out the red letters. I think people, especially younger people, long for something that Americanized Christianity hasn't offered, which is a radical love of others.

Just my 2 cents. I may be completely wrong though. I grew up in the independent fundamental baptist cult though, so my perspective may be skewed.

This is one of the big things that drove me away. Christians can be very hateful, and many are extremely hypocritical and hold some sins as "more sinful" than others. I see it in my parents and many members of my church. Whether it be closet racism or hatred towards LGBTQ, it alienated me because any attempt to discuss these things would result in me being attacked as a bad Christian.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.