Why do you believe there exists an afterlife?

20,100 Views | 352 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by MidTnAg
MidTnAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

There is nothing to indicate such while there is mountains of evidence pointing towards there not being even one.

If you do, where do you think it is most likely hiding?

How long after you die do you foresee that you will start to change into your traveling duplicate body?

Will those functions that had severe tissues destroyed now have all their DNA put back together?

Will cremated individuals make it to an afterlife in any capacity?

What solar system will you be traveling to?

What happens to living cells that die and their DNA break apart into many tiny pieces (atoms / small compounds)?
swimmerbabe11
Because it is promised in Scripture. Christianity is a complex, intricate, beautiful, and consistent theological tradition with tons of evidence. My faith in the promises that God has given is grounded in the beautifully woven the tapestry of the world and it's stories.

There is nothing to indicate such while there is mountains of evidence pointing towards there not being even one. please bring me your mountains

ethereal things, different planes, different galaxies... not for me to discern

How long after you die do you foresee that you will start to change into your traveling duplicate body?
no duplicates. We are taught that when we die, our spirit join the saints in Heaven, where will pray until the second coming, at which point our bodies will be restored to us. The original will be made whole and without flaw

Will those functions that had severe tissues destroyed now have all their DNA put back together?
restored whole without flaw

while cremation is suboptimal, we will be restored whole without flaw.

wherever the saints reside, that is where I will be.

What happens to living cells that die and their DNA break apart into many tiny pieces (atoms / small compounds)?
restored without flaw. This is no challenge for an omnipotent God
PA24
AG
PA24
AG
Sorry for the thumbs down, I think the OP is trolling for self amusement.

Yet Swimmers answers are Excellent and hopefully someone wanting answers of life gets a message to look deeper into why we are walking this planet.

UTExan
Why would I worship God unless I had the promise of eternal life with Him? It is the ultimate goal of Christians IMHO.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
dermdoc
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

Because it is promised in Scripture. Christianity is a complex, intricate, beautiful, and consistent theological tradition with tons of evidence. My faith in the promises that God has given is grounded in the beautifully woven the tapestry of the world and it's stories.

There is nothing to indicate such while there is mountains of evidence pointing towards there not being even one. please bring me your mountains

ethereal things, different planes, different galaxies... not for me to discern

no duplicates. We are taught that when we die, our spirit join the saints in Heaven, where will pray until the second coming, at which point our bodies will be restored to us. The original will be made whole and without flaw

restored whole without flaw

while cremation is suboptimal, we will be restored whole without flaw.

wherever the saints reside, that is where I will be.

restored without flaw. This is no challenge for an omnipotent God
Well done. If people understood there is eternal life then the world would be a totally different place. A much better place.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
FriscoKid
AG
Because Jesus being raised from the dead is the most logical conclusion of the empty tomb when someone looks at the historical evidence.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Agree with all the responses above, but I want to go a little broader.

Death has a fundamental wrongness to it. We each feel that wrongness every time someone dies. I know. I deal with death a lot, one of the necessities of the job. Sometimes death is a relief, sometimes it's expected, but that fundamental wrongness of death is always there. That undeniable feeling that things shouldn't be this way.

People die every day, and everyone dies. It is the fundamental fact of life. Yet it is the only thing I can think of that happens all the time with regularity and still feels so alien. The sun coming up every day never feels weird. Gravity never feels weird. Oxygen never feels weird. These things feel natural to us. Death should feel just as natural, but it never does. Even in times and places where life is cheap and death is common, it still feels wrong. You can get numb to it, it might be better than the alternative, but it never feels natural and right.

Why would something so common, no natural, so certain feel so wrong? Because it is wrong. It is alien. It isn't supposed to happen. It's a surprise even though it happens to everyone. It's feels wrong even when it's for the best. It feels unjust even though it happens to everyone equally. It contradicts our very nature, and there is no way to reconcile death with our existence.

It is theorized that all religion started as a way to help people handle the fundamental wrongness of death. We preserve bodies, we build tombs, we bury our dead in the ground or burn them up to keep them set apart from the world and holy. Disrespect of a body is an insult and an affront in every culture of which I am aware.

So in steps Jesus and His Gospel. He tells us that death is foreign. It isn't supposed to happen, and He can fix it. And how? Love and sacrifice for the good of others. These things are natural. Not easy, but natural. You don't defeat an implacable, universal alien force easily. So we see Jesus defeat death and we follow him through the breech to another world. A world where there is no alien death. Where everything fundamentally feels right and natural. Where things are as they are supposed to be.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dermdoc
AG
Great post. Thanks.

And from my time as a med student and Internal Medicine intern at Ben Taub/St. Luke's I had never thought of death the way you described it but I agree with you.
UTExan
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live."

John 11:25 NKJV
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Redstone
AG
This is easy to prove.

Talk to a surgeon or hospice nurse. How many hundreds of documented cases do we have of clinically dead patients "returning" to describe objects on the roof, conversations, ect? Many hundreds of documented cases.

Psychedelic trips - in controlled environments and not. How many subjective descriptions of an objective experience - same "creatures," ect? Many hundreds of cases.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

Agree with all the responses above, but I want to go a little broader.

Death has a fundamental wrongness to it. We each feel that wrongness every time someone dies. I know. I deal with death a lot, one of the necessities of the job. Sometimes death is a relief, sometimes it's expected, but that fundamental wrongness of death is always there. That undeniable feeling that things shouldn't be this way.

People die every day, and everyone dies. It is the fundamental fact of life. Yet it is the only thing I can think of that happens all the time with regularity and still feels so alien. The sun coming up every day never feels weird. Gravity never feels weird. Oxygen never feels weird. These things feel natural to us. Death should feel just as natural, but it never does. Even in times and places where life is cheap and death is common, it still feels wrong. You can get numb to it, it might be better than the alternative, but it never feels natural and right.

Why would something so common, no natural, so certain feel so wrong? Because it is wrong. It is alien. It isn't supposed to happen. It's a surprise even though it happens to everyone. It's feels wrong even when it's for the best. It feels unjust even though it happens to everyone equally. It contradicts our very nature, and there is no way to reconcile death with our existence.

It is theorized that all religion started as a way to help people handle the fundamental wrongness of death. We preserve bodies, we build tombs, we bury our dead in the ground or burn them up to keep them set apart from the world and holy. Disrespect of a body is an insult and an affront in every culture of which I am aware.

So in steps Jesus and His Gospel. He tells us that death is foreign. It isn't supposed to happen, and He can fix it. And how? Love and sacrifice for the good of others. These things are natural. Not easy, but natural. You don't defeat an implacable, universal alien force easily. So we see Jesus defeat death and we follow him through the breech to another world. A world where there is no alien death. Where everything fundamentally feels right and natural. Where things are as they are supposed to be.

i'm glad i clicked on this thread for this post alone.

thought provoking and a lens in which i had not looked through or thought in this way before. thank you.
jkag89
Quote:

Yes please, bring on the mountains of evidence.
Marco Esquandolas
AG
OP I hope "the Bible tells me so" is a satisfactory explanation for you cause that's all you're really gonna get in here.
spud1910
AG
Marco Esquandolas said:

OP I hope "the Bible tells me so" is a satisfactory explanation for you cause that's all you're really gonna get in here.
Agreed. Because there is no other explanation we can give. We cannot prove the existence of an afterlife via the scientific method. But there are hints, such as the experiences of those that have experienced near death episodes as mentioned earlier. For me, as a student at TAMU, I woke early one morning. Wide awake. Didn't need to go to the bathroom. Not thirsty. No noises or activity in the house. Later, my parents called to tell me my grandfather, with whom I was very close, had died. At precisely the time I woke up. Maybe coincidence. Maybe not.
Aggrad08
AG
Marco Esquandolas said:

Such is the challenge of invisible and silent gods.

And while I do agree death has a wrongness to it from our perspective I can't help but notice that God designed a world built on death billions of years over. Everything dies, and much of life lives by causing death.

I don't think my dog should die either, that also feels wrong, even if much less horrific than human death. But there is no supposed afterlife for that wrongness.

With religion we are carving out a special exemption for humans. This is made more difficult for scientifically literate Christian's who must acknowledge that humanity evolved so their is some near arbitrary first human that doesn't get treated like an animal.
PA24
AG
Aggrad08 said:

Marco Esquandolas said:

And while I do agree death has a wrongness to it from our perspective I can't help but notice that God designed a world built on death billions of years over. Everything dies, and much of life lives by causing death.

I don't think my dog should die either, that also feels wrong, even if much less horrific than human death. But there is no supposed afterlife for that wrongness.

With religion we are carving out a special exemption for humans. This is made more difficult for scientifically literate Christian's who must acknowledge that humanity evolved so their is some near arbitrary first human that doesn't get treated like an animal.
Moreover, I saw under the sun that in the place of justice, even there was wickedness, and in the place of righteousness, even there was wickedness. I said in my heart, God will judge the righteous and the wicked, for there is a time for every matter and for every work. I said in my heart with regard to the children of man that God is testing them that they may see that they themselves are but beasts. For what happens to the children of man and what happens to the beasts is the same; as one dies, so dies the other. They all have the same breath, and man has no advantage over the beasts, for all is vanity. All go to one place. All are from the dust, and to dust all return. ...

Ecclesiastes is one of 24 books of the Tanakh (Hebrew Bible), where it is classified as one of the Ketuvim (Writings). Originally written c. 450200 BCE, it is also among the canonical Wisdom literature of the Old Testament in most denominations of Christianity. The title Ecclesiastes is a Latin transliteration of the Greek translation of the Hebrew Kohelet (also written as Koheleth or Qoheleth), the pseudonym used by the author of the book.

ramblin_ag02
AG
Aggrad08 said:

Marco Esquandolas said:

Not sure where you found the idea of human exceptionalism in this thread. It's certainly not in any of the typed text. In fact, there is no reason to single out humans when talking about the wrongness of death. Many other animals mourn their dead and act in every way like they experience the same wrongness and loss that humans feel. Elephants are famously reverent of their dead, and even the dead of other species.Reference Chimpanzees, birds, dolphins, orcas, otters and who knows how many other animals display some level of similar behavior. I'd argue that every intelligent animal feels the wrongness of death and mourns their dead, and the more intelligent they are then the more sophisticated their mourning.

As far as a supposed afterlife for animals, no one knows. In the Christian beliefs, death is abolished at the end of time, and "lions lay down with lambs". Both heavily implying that animals won't die any more either. Our nation is even mostly Christian, and our predominant cultural belief is that dogs will be present in the afterlife as evidence by the seminal work of Bluth 1989 reference
PA24
AG
per Billy Graham
God has a special reason and place for each of His created beings. Animals, too, have a purpose in God's creation. Man, as the highest order of creation, has been given dominion over the animal kingdom (Genesis 1:26-28).
We believe that animals were intended for man's enjoyment and use. The Bible itself does not indicate that there is life after death for animals. It may be that God's purpose for animals is fulfilled on this earth. However, if animals would make us happier in heaven, surely there will be a place for them there.
Some Bible interpreters have called attention to Isaiah's description of the peace of God's future kingdom where he says that "the wolf and the lamb will feed together, and the lion will eat straw like the ox" (Isaiah 65:25). Heaven will lack nothing that is good and that will bring glory to God.

Animals do reason and do feel love and mourn but they also know their place in the pecking order...why is this?
Rocag
AG
I strongly disagree with the premise that death is somehow wrong or an alien presence in the world that demands some theological explanation. Life and death are so intertwined that there is no possible way for life as we know it to exist without death. We humans, like all animals, lack the ability to draw nutrients and energy from the soil and sun and so we consume plants and other animals so that we might continue our own existence. Other life ends so that ours can persist. Death needs no explanation, it simply is.

But we humans like to look for greater meaning in all things, even (in my opinion) when no such greater meaning exists. There is certainly plenty to be said when it comes to how humanity comes to grips with its own mortality, but the desire for more time doesn't mean we get to have it. It does not seem odd to me that the universe will continue on without me when my life comes to an end, after all it existed for billions and billions of years before I was born without my knowledge or input into the matter.
Aggrad08
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

Aggrad08 said:

Marco Esquandolas said:

Not sure where you found the idea of human exceptionalism in this thread. It's certainly not in any of the typed text. In fact, there is no reason to single out humans when talking about the wrongness of death. Many other animals mourn their dead and act in every way like they experience the same wrongness and loss that humans feel. Elephants are famously reverent of their dead, and even the dead of other species.Reference Chimpanzees, birds, dolphins, orcas, otters and who knows how many other animals display some level of similar behavior. I'd argue that every intelligent animal feels the wrongness of death and mourns their dead, and the more intelligent they are then the more sophisticated their mourning.

As far as a supposed afterlife for animals, no one knows. In the Christian beliefs, death is abolished at the end of time, and "lions lay down with lambs". Both heavily implying that animals won't die any more either. Our nation is even mostly Christian, and our predominant cultural belief is that dogs will be present in the afterlife as evidence by the seminal work of Bluth 1989 reference

Yes yes all dogs go to heaven is a great notion, all mosquitos or all smallpox viruses maybe not so much. This belief though as you said is nothing at all to do with scripture.

And when I speak of death by design the lion and lamb are a perfect example. The lion is a terrific killing machine. The result of evolutionary change demanding a creature that needs brutal death to see tomorrow. The idea that this is contrary to God's will is quite peculiar. The very cycles of this Earth need death, it's not an accidental or superfluous thing, but an essential cog in the wheel.

If we speak of the wrongness of death don't we speak of the wrongness of billions of years of God's design unmolested by man?
pdc093
I too, would like to thank you for your post.
I rarely visit the R&P board. I felt compelled today. Glad I did.
Thank you, very much.
schmendeler
AG
I don't think death feels "wrong". I don't like it, and I miss those that have died, but things die. that's just how it is. it's sad, but it's not wrong, to me.

what wrong (to me) is trying to fit the idea of a caring super being that is fine with the system in place. the only thing that seems "right" to me is that there is no one that cares about you or humanity other than you and those likeminded.
MidTnAg
AG
Redstone said:

This is easy to prove.

Talk to a surgeon or hospice nurse. How many hundreds of documented cases do we have of clinically dead patients "returning" to describe objects on the roof, conversations, ect? Many hundreds of documented cases.

Psychedelic trips - in controlled environments and not. How many subjective descriptions of an objective experience - same "creatures," ect? Many hundreds of cases.
No. Those people didn't die. They were not dead. Just because a person "wakes up" and has some mysterious thoughts does not mean he/she was dead.
Redstone
AG
Nope. Dead as a door nail, and then able to describe objects stuck on the roof, ect.

A great number of medically documented cases
https://www.amazon.com/Opening-Heavens-Door-Trying-Theyre/dp/1476757070
Frok
AG
schmendeler said:

I don't think death feels "wrong". I don't like it, and I miss those that have died, but things die. that's just how it is. it's sad, but it's not wrong, to me.

what wrong (to me) is trying to fit the idea of a caring super being that is fine with the system in place. the only thing that seems "right" to me is that there is no one that cares about you or humanity other than you and those likeminded.

That's why we have hope. The bible promises that all things will be created new and returned to their original created form. Sin and death entered the world creating this cycle of death but Jesus is the remedy.
BluHorseShu
AG
MidTnAg said:

There is nothing to indicate such while there is mountains of evidence pointing towards there not being even one.

For me personally, its 3 reasons.
First I have experienced God's hand in my life...
Second, Pascal's Wager. It costs me nothing to have faith and I only can gain from the belief in this life. If I'm wrong I lose nothing. Conversely if I choose not to believe and I'm wrong, I lose everything.
And lastly, for me it would be a depressing world to think this is it and nothing to look forward to.

"If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning: just as, if there were no light in the universe and therefore no creatures with eyes, we should never know it was dark. Dark would be a word without meaning." - CS Lewis
Post removed:
by user
tehmackdaddy
AG
Aggrad08 said:

God, Himself, became man, and was seen and heard.
Aggrad08
AG
And was never heard from again and never wrote anything down. Even granting that very tough sell your god is a silent invisible one.
tehmackdaddy
AG
Aggrad08 said:

And was never heard from again and never wrote anything down. Even granting that very tough sell your god is a silent invisible one.

So God was both visible and heard, but not to your standards?
bmks270
AG
From a more philosophical perspective, more exists than matter space and time.

The law, the word, the logos... it's everywhere and it's timeless and eternal, and it is independent of the physical arrangement of matter. Matter is formed from its will.

With the experience of matter space and time it doesn't necessarily follow that your essence, that which is independent of matter, ceases to live.

The conscious observer effect on quantum mechanics demonstrates that consciousness does not arise from a particular arrangement of matter. Matter is actually a necessary medium that allows man creative expression and growth.

Aggrad08
AG
tehmackdaddy said:

Aggrad08 said:

So God was both visible and heard, but not to your standards?

Not to the standard of most everyone especially when speaking honestly of other faiths, and your god isn't louder than theirs. God chooses to be silent and rely and faith. We call it faith not knowledge. We are here asking why believe there is an afterlife at all. The argument that god is visible and loud is so bad I wouldn't even insult you as to actually believing it. The idea that the creator of the universe couldn't make himself unambiguous known is ridiculous so some level of ambiguity must be desired, no?
PA24
AG
08 can't get Jesus out of his head.

No matter how often he leaves he comes back, denies Jesus but can't get him out of his thoughts.

Who is Jesus

Why can't he just walk away?

Death awaits us all and yet he spends his precious minutes n here.

Jesus died for u 08, what a concept and if true u have to admit that is amazing grace.

one MEEN Ag
AG
Aggrad08 said:

I don't understand this retort. Mackdaddy mentions that God himself comes down to earth, becomes man, dies, rises again and history has records beyond the disciples own writings of him existing. Your response is, 'so what' he didn't leave a phone number, and that he didn't write anything down himself.

Does history require you to pen your own biography to exist? Would the same letters if penned by Jesus himself carry any more weight in your mind? Or would they be cast aside the same as his disciples writings- 'They're just the thoughts of crazy people.'

Jesus just popping down here again is reserved for end times. He came, fulfilled the old testament prophecies, defeated death, and ascended back into heaven. He left us with the great commission and the holy spirit.

Lots of people try to fit God into a box made of their own expectations (Christians and atheists alike). These two complaints fit in that category. He didn't fulfill the prophecies exactly how you would like nor does he exist in the sky like monty python and the holy grail - which is the revelation you want.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.