In the dog house

1,014 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BusterAg
BusterAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Funny stuff, had to share with my cyber friends:

[BusterAg is working feverously at his computer for the first week in months after a long period of unemployment]

BusterAg's Better Half (BBH): Ok, so taking the girls to Wednesday night devo.

BusterAg: Great babe, just finishing up this project deliverable and then I can put up the leftovers [from dinner, roast beef, that BusterAg cooked while wife was at work and he worked at home].

Daughter, beautiful little pre-teen thing, as she prances out the door: "Happy Birthday!!"

BusterAg, whose birthday is in January, looking up to BBH from his spreadsheet, puzzled: "Did she just tell me Happy Birthday?"

BBH: "No, she told ME Happy Birthday."

BusterAg, with sinking feeling in his stomach, looks at the calendar on his computer monitor. Realizes his wife is 40 today.

"Oh, Crap!" [Body language straight out of Johnny Cash's, "I Hang My Head"]

BBH: Yeah, babe. Thanks for the ROAST! [In kind of a hurt but playful way. Walks out the door.]

---------------------------------------------

In my defense:
1) I suck
2) Birthday's have never been a huge thing for us, never more than a cake. For my 40th birthday, I went to the store, bought crab legs, cooked my own crab legs. Happy Buster. Little recognition from family. Still, not a good excuse for forgetting wife's birthday completely.
3) My wife had to pull over on the side of the road on the way to our church because her and my girls were laughing so hard and how self absorbed men could be. I'm a good man. And still: "Did she tell me happy birthday?" repeated in the truck over and over. Funny.
4) I have heard "was she talking to me" at least 30 times tonight after they got back. My family has a new meme about dad's singlemindness. I think this will last decades. I deserve it, all fun and games.

Anyways, funny story. I went and bought gelato while wife was ferrying kids, and we are all good (20 years of marriage, BTW). But, I thought that maybe you guys would enjoy the story. Flame away.
In the end the Party would announce that two and two made five, and you would have to believe it. It was inevitable that they should make that claim sooner or later: the logic of their position demanded it. Not merely the validity of experience, but the very existence of external reality, was tacitly denied by their philosophy. The heresy of heresies was common sense -George Orwell, 1984, Part 1, Chapter 7
dermdoc
AG
Been there, done that. And all I can say is that it is great to have a jeweler as a son in law.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DirtDiver
If we buy our wives ice cream they will forgive us our sins and will cleanse us of most unrighteousness. 1 Husband 3:12
PacifistAg
AG
My wife is a New Year's baby, so it's easy for me to always remember.
Frok
AG
I'm not big on gifts either but my wife is. So birthdays, christmas, anniversaries are always pressure moments for me.

swimmerbabe11
I love celebrating special events. With birthdays though, I think the person being born has a bit of responsibility to lightly remind their loved one that it is coming up. Lives are busy, help each other out. Some people dont enjoy birthdays and whatnot and all, so giving them extra reminder that they are meaningful to you is even more crucial.

So, how are you making it up to her?
BusterAg
AG
I thought I answered that: with ice cream.

Seriously, we never celebrate birthday's on the day of, always the following weekend. My tradition is to cook her breakfast on her birthday before work, so I did that today (Chorizo and egg breakfast tacos). We are going out to eat at her favorite restaurant (mexican food) on Sunday, and I am also cooking one of her favorite meals (chicken picatta) on Saturday.

Honestly, I think the enjoyment she is getting out of making fun of me outweighs her disappointment that I forgot.
In the end the Party would announce that two and two made five, and you would have to believe it. It was inevitable that they should make that claim sooner or later: the logic of their position demanded it. Not merely the validity of experience, but the very existence of external reality, was tacitly denied by their philosophy. The heresy of heresies was common sense -George Orwell, 1984, Part 1, Chapter 7
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.