Empathy as a tool of the devil

2,947 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by dermdoc
dermdoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Started by Stasco in the other thread but I did not want to derail so I will start an independent one. Imho, empathy is one of the common tactics of the enemy to get us. Totally different from compassion which is just giving support in some way, without trying to inject yourself into the other person's feelings. I think this is where we get so much of the social justice and guilt which on the surface looks good but actually may carry sinister connotations.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
chimpanzee
Reminds me of a quote I read once from Eric Hoffer, "Every great cause begins as a movement, becomes a business, and eventually degenerates into a racket."

Emotions make for a good smoke screen and are deployed politically to obscure motives all the time. Empathy can plausibly involve vanity too, attaching to the emotional without full context/sacrifice.
dermdoc
AG
CS Lewis covers this in his Screwtape letters.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Macarthur
Wait, are you saying empathy is a bad thing?

Stasco
AG
I think it's important to point out that there is a lot of confusion over the actual meaning (and history) of the term. Many people, when asked to describe "empathy," will essentially describe "sympathy," which is the much older and more Christian concept. Sympathy literally means "to feel with." To sympathize is to begin by trying to understand, on a rational and intellectual level, how another person is feeling based on evidence you collect from that person and from reality. You then move toward feeling similarly alongside that person as another person whom you love. If that person is sad, you feel sad because you want what is good for that person, and you understand that there is some goodness that they are lacking. At the heart of sympathy is the understanding that to love is to will the good of the other as other.

Empathy is a much newer concept, originating around the turn of the 20th century from some German intellectuals. It started as the word "einfuhlung," which was later transliterated into the English "empathy." The word literally means "to feel into." Unlike sympathy, the first move is not to understand the feelings of another person. It is rather to project your own imagined feelings onto another person, imagining yourself to be in some parallel situation. This kind of thinking of course erodes any sort of real meaningful differences between people. It's to say, "I don't care how you feel in this situation, I only care about how I imagine I might feel in some similar situation."

Naturally, the nuance between the two can be difficult to grasp. Unfortunately it seems a great many people aren't very good at all at even attempting something like true sympathy, because a great many people spend most of their mental energy focused inward on themselves. Such a focus is the chief of all the mortal sins - hubris.

To really sympathize - to love another person as other - requires deep humility. We have to understand that we simply can't simply transpose our feelings onto another person and accept that as reality. Of course, we all struggle with humility. I most certainly do. But to abandon that goal and to celebrate the inward-focus and self-absorption of empathy - that's the Devil's work.

I hammered this all out on my phone, so I apologize for any typos.
Stasco
AG
Macarthur said:

TL;DR:

Yes
chimpanzee
dermdoc said:

CS Lewis covers this in his Screwtape letters.
That may be where I picked up the notion. A great read.
dermdoc
AG
Macarthur said:

I think it is. Agree with CS Lewis.
swimmerbabe11
I hate the trend of people calling themselves "empaths" when really they are emotional sponges with no healthy idea on how to compartmentalize.

If when you practice empathy, you only concern yourself for how you would feel in that situation, you are doing it wrong. True empathy is actually trying to put yourself in their shoes and feel how they feel. However, you should not stay caught there and use that to hinder your ability to think logically. Empathy can be like quicksand..once you are stuck, you are also no help to the person you are trying to help.

Macarthur
swimmerbabe11 said:

I hate the trend of people calling themselves "empaths" when really they are emotional sponges with no healthy idea on how to compartmentalize.

If when you practice empathy, you only concern yourself for how you would feel in that situation, you are doing it wrong. True empathy is actually trying to put yourself in their shoes and feel how they feel. However, you should not stay caught there and use that to hinder your ability to think logically. Empathy can be like quicksand..once you are stuck, you are also no help to the person you are trying to help.

Well, of course...
dermdoc
AG
As a doc for over thirty years, I am convinced we can never really know how another person feels except maybe immediate family some of the time. I think if we try to "put ourselves in the other person's state of mind" we are playing God and may do more harm than good. I see it all the time with death when well meaning folks say wildly inappropriate things because they think they know how the other person is feeling. We are supposed to financially and physically help the widows and orphans(and others who need it) without trying to play God.
diehard03
Quote:

To really sympathize - to love another person as other - requires deep humility. We have to understand that we simply can't simply transpose our feelings onto another person and accept that as reality. Of course, we all struggle with humility. I most certainly do. But to abandon that goal and to celebrate the inward-focus and self-absorption of empathy - that's the Devil's work.

I think you're creating a definition of empathy on your own and then building this case against it.

There's no self absorption to either sympathy or empathy. There is humility in both. One might argue that empathy expresses MORE humility because it's acknowledging the lack of understanding one has. I would also say it's easier to sympathize due to the shared experience.

What everyone else is railing against on this thread isn't empathy. It's just selfishness trying to wear empathy's clothes.
schmendeler
AG
do unto others as you would have done unto you they would want you to do unto them?

fixed to get rid of the empathy.
dermdoc
AG
schmendeler said:

do unto others as you would have done unto you they would want you to do unto them?

Actually the Golden Rule is exactly how we should treat others as we know how we like to be treated. The danger becomes when you try to identify with the other person and think you know what they are feeling.

And the way you fixed it is the problem as we are mere humans and it is beyond our ability to know what another person is thinking.

CS Lewis describes it much better than I can.
Stasco
AG
diehard03 said:

Quote:

I think you're creating a definition of empathy on your own and then building this case against it.

There's no self absorption to either sympathy or empathy. There is humility in both. One might argue that empathy expresses MORE humility because it's acknowledging the lack of understanding one has. I would also say it's easier to sympathize due to the shared experience.

What everyone else is railing against on this thread isn't empathy. It's just selfishness trying to wear empathy's clothes.

I didn't create this definition on my own. Again, this word was invented by German art critics in the late 1800s. The word literally means "to feel into" as in to pour one's own feelings into something/someone. That's exactly what they meant by the term. The American psychology students who transliterated certainly wanted to capture that meaning. Why else would you create an alternate word to the already widely used "sympathy"?
Stasco
AG
schmendeler said:

I know you're not really taking any of this seriously, but the misunderstanding of the verse here is important, so I want to address it.

Matthew 7:12 (the verse from which we get the "Golden Rule") comes during the Sermon on the Mount, and is the culmination of the various teachings Christ was giving on how we are to interact with each other. Quite often what Christ did in His teaching was to take an earlier law or moral practice, and take it a step further. It's not that he was invalidating the old laws; rather he was building on them and adding nuance for a people still growing up in their faith. Often times the older formula of "don't do X bad thing" was updated to add "and instead do Y good thing." Thus, to God's commandments to Moses, Christ adds the Beatitudes. To rules regarding fasting, Christ adds that you shouldn't just abstain from food, but do so cheerfully. To God's command to give alms, Christ adds that we should do so humbly, without seeking acclaim. And so forth.

Matthew 7:12 is exactly in line with that theme. The moral law of "don't do to others what you don't want done to yourself" was already very common in ancient Jewish and Greek society. It was written down by philosophers. It was well known. Don't kill other people if you don't want to be killed. Don't steal from others if you don't want stuff stolen from you. Christ took it a step further. It's not enough that we abstain from harming each other. To be Christ's followers, we should actively seek the good for others - as in the highest good. "The Good with a capital G." So "don't do to others what you don't want done to yourself" becomes "DO to others what you want done for your sake." It seems obvious today after 2,000 years of Christian society, but at the time, in that intensely tribal time and place, it was a radical idea.

Of course that can be twisted if you want to. What if I'm suicidal. Does that mean I should kill other people? Of course not. What it means is that we should seek the Good not only for ourselves, but for others. To sympathize is understand the other as other. It's to care for their ultimate Good.

To look at it another way, you could ask the question: would you rather have someone assume they know how you feel based on their own personal frame of mind? Or would you rather they make an effort to find out more about you? Maybe ask you to share with them how you feel? That's how you should apply the Golden Rule in this situation.
kurt vonnegut
AG
Stasco said:

The word literally means "to feel into." Unlike sympathy, the first move is not to understand the feelings of another person. It is rather to project your own imagined feelings onto another person, imagining yourself to be in some parallel situation. This kind of thinking of course erodes any sort of real meaningful differences between people. It's to say, "I don't care how you feel in this situation, I only care about how I imagine I might feel in some similar situation."

I have not heard this take on the word empathy before, nor am I qualified to dissect the origin of the word.

However, I think that your definition of empathy may not be consistent with how people utilize or understand the term today. We can all look up definitions, so I'll describe a practical application.

Retired has discussed some of his friends who are veterans and who suffered from PTSD and at least one who took their own life. This makes me sad. I feel sadness for Retired and those who've lost people, but I feel sadness for those that suffer from PTSD as well. I feel sadness that they are struggling with something that is adversely affecting them. I call this sympathy.

When I try to consider PTSD from the point of view of someone who is affected by it - there is no point to projecting my own feelings or my own reason. I have no baseline - or at least nothing that is relatable to some of the veterans that Retired has mentioned. I think that the best we can do sometimes is just listen and try our best to understand on some level. And I think that this attempt to understand from someone else's perspective is at the heart of empathy. Projecting my feelings into your situation would be non productive to understanding how you feel.

That said. Telling a child "How would you feel if so-and-so took your toy away?" may be useful in teaching them about consequences of their actions. And it may be useful in teaching a child about sympathy if your goal is for the child to feel sadness for someone whose toy was taken. But, this type of question, I think, falls into the description of empathy you are using whereby you are projecting yourself with your feelings and experiences into someone else's situation and saying 'what would I do and feel?'. And to your point, I think that this type of thinking is really not productive in understanding someone else's feelings - especially if you do not have shared experiences. But, I'm not sure that this is the way people think of the word 'empathy'.

Again, its my experience that this is how people use the two terms. I may be totally off base.
Zobel
AG
I mean, just etymologically empathy is clearly Greek.. empatheia, "in-feeling" or "in-passion". Sympathy is also a Greek word, sympatheia, "feeling with" or "co-feeling".
Macarthur
This whole discussion strikes me as 'well, duh'

And it seems many on here are trying to make an either or distinction. Someone can have sympathy and empathy regarding a situation. Can too much empathy be a bad thing, sure, but again, duh!

And to make the bigger point that this is 'of the devil' strikes me as beyond asinine.
Stasco
AG
I appreciate the well thought out response, and I certainly agree with you that many people use "empathy" today in the way you're describing. Perhaps this this is a pointless struggle on my part, the language will evolve, and eventually empathy and sympathy will be basically the same thing, similarly to how confound and confuse used to have different meanings but are now synonymous. That said, I can't help but notice that today, while some people use "empathy" and "sympathy" interchangeably, a great many people still make a distinction.

Now to your examples:

Quote:

Retired has discussed some of his friends who are veterans and who suffered from PTSD and at least one who took their own life. This makes me sad. I feel sadness for Retired and those who've lost people, but I feel sadness for those that suffer from PTSD as well. I feel sadness that they are struggling with something that is adversely affecting them. I call this sympathy.

When I try to consider PTSD from the point of view of someone who is affected by it - there is no point to projecting my own feelings or my own reason. I have no baseline - or at least nothing that is relatable to some of the veterans that Retired has mentioned. I think that the best we can do sometimes is just listen and try our best to understand on some level. And I think that this attempt to understand from someone else's perspective is at the heart of empathy. Projecting my feelings into your situation would be non productive to understanding how you feel.
Based on the actual definitions of the words, these are both examples of sympathy. Or perhaps the first example is just concern, and the second one qualifies as sympathy. Either way, I wouldn't categorize either as empathy, and I certainly wouldn't criticize either response as self-centered or hubristic. So I think we agree that both examples are generally good things.

As to your point about teaching kids:

Quote:

That said. Telling a child "How would you feel if so-and-so took your toy away?" may be useful in teaching them about consequences of their actions. And it may be useful in teaching a child about sympathy if your goal is for the child to feel sadness for someone whose toy was taken. But, this type of question, I think, falls into the description of empathy you are using whereby you are projecting yourself with your feelings and experiences into someone else's situation and saying 'what would I do and feel?'. And to your point, I think that this type of thinking is really not productive in understanding someone else's feelings - especially if you do not have shared experiences. But, I'm not sure that this is the way people think of the word 'empathy'.
I'm certainly no child psychologist, but I do have a three year old, and a 10 month old, and I will readily admit that I have tried your strategy with the 3 year old (mostly when she's doing something she shouldn't to the 10 month old.) I would argue that the logic is very much in line with Christ's teaching in Matthew 7:12, or at least the older negative version, i.e. "don't do to others what you don't want done to yourself."

That said, after some experience trying it out on a 3 year old, I'm not convinced that it works very well, if at all. At that age, it seems that what really works for kids is a clearly ordered rule structure. Listen when I speak to you, do as I tell you, don't hit other kids, don't grab things from other kids, etc. As they get older, the moral framework unfolds and the nuances are taught. On the way to that moral structure, I do think there's a place for thought experiments. It's useful to wonder what it would be like to experience some novel situation.

But, as you clearly laid out in your post, it's impossible for us to fully imagine every lived experience. I am a man, and try as I might, I can't fully imagine what it would feel like to be a woman who is violently raped. I understand that it's a horrible crime. I understand that it inflicts pain, and humiliation, and trauma. And so I try to have every bit of compassion I can summon for victims of rape. But if I limited my compassion to the extent of the psychological pain that I could personally imagine, I would probably sell it short. To have sympathy, I have to take my own understanding of similar pain, and intellectually place it in the context of someone who is different from me. Who is likely physically weaker than I am. Whose sexuality is inherently ordered to nurturing life. Who, rightly or wrongly, has to contend with a standard of sexual purity and desirability that is simply different from that of a man.

For me to try and be "empathetic" in that situation is to say to a female rape victim "I feel your pain." I hope we can agree that that would be obviously wrong in that situation. I'm suggesting that's it's always wrong, for the same reasons, in every situation.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is this: if you want to posit that empathy is simply the exercise of imagining the pain of another, I would say that's a good exercise, but it falls far short of the extent of compassion that we are called to give according to Christian love. To limit ourselves in that way I think is borne of hubris. And hubris, as the queen of the deadly sins, is most certainly of the Devil.
Zobel
AG
How do you think the concept of feeling with and feeling in relate to being sharers in each other's burdens, or even more strongly partakers of, communicants in, the divine nature and through Christ in each other?

I might say in some way communion, which seems to me the term that art critic used empathy for, is what Christians are called to. Being one would necessitate empathy no? But the object is always Christ, unity to each other through Him vs forward each other.
Stasco
AG
The type of "communion" put forth by the originators of einfuhlung was much closer to a sort of Buddhist universalism - "the Om" - than it is to the Christian communion of the vine and the branches.

There's a good essay on the topic of the term's origin and development. I'll see if I can find it and post it later.
commando2004
AG
Macarthur said:

IME, 99% of the time when someone says "you need to have empathy", they are just trying to make an excuse for ****ty behavior.
Zobel
AG
Stasco said:

The type of "communion" put forth by the originators of einfuhlung was much closer to a sort of Buddhist universalism - "the Om" - than it is to the Christian communion of the vine and the branches.

There's a good essay on the topic of the term's origin and development. I'll see if I can find it and post it later.
What piqued my interest was the connection to art. My godfather is an artist (iconographer) and he says that art is communion - and that all creation by humans is ultimately interactive with other humans, and is also art, and also then a kind of communion. This is why the things people normally associate with art - painting, music, poetry, etc. - are so intensely personal and revealing. I don't know how you can partake of some art and not have empathy. Gut-wrenching music, or extremely evocative paintings, visceral poetry. What's eliciting the response? Not the thing by itself - you're responding to some part of the artist.

So I think this maybe is another case of the fact that evil is non-being, and evil can't create, only pervert. So I'd hazard that empathy or communion of this sort with other humans outside of Christ is not good...not because connecting to others is wrong, but because it's the wrong way or the diminished way.
diehard03
Quote:

IME, 99% of the time when someone says "you need to have empathy", they are just trying to make an excuse for ****ty behavior.

I can see why people keep telling you you need to have empathy.
Macarthur
commando2004 said:

Macarthur said:

Like diehard's response, I don't really have any idea how to respond to this.

I don't know if this is going to be a derail, but I do think it is a variable in how people view themselves and others and how empathy plays a role in that.

There's been lots of discussion, books and podcasts lately about free will and how that relates to what happens in people's lives. I recently read this article and it's a really interesting subject, IMO. I think there's huge implications in this as it relates to empathy and/or sympathy. How we view what 'happens' to others versus how much we actually affect our own outcomes.

https://www.vox.com/conversations/2016/11/22/13652860/income-inequality-meritocracy-robert-frank-success-luck-ethics
dermdoc
AG
I do not see how that has anything to do with empathy, which I believe means trying to get inside someone else's feelings which is impossible for humans. That article has more to do with self awareness which should create compassion and sympathy.
dermdoc
AG
But you and I see the world through totally different viewpoints which is fine by me. God loves and needs all of us.
Frok
AG
Never really thought this much about sympathy vs empathy before. Come to think of it I do think people confuse the two often.

I've always viewed empathy as trying to see someone else's point of view. It is certainly flawed which others have pointed out. But the idea is to think of others perspectives verses just using only your own judgement and rational. Some people are not empathetic and simply act on their own impulses.

Now empathy should not be used to justify sin. I can understand why you did something but not approve of it.

UTExan
The social justice movement in mainline Protestant denominations seems to underline the problem of how sympathy can be manipulated to support specific political agendae. I have heard one person call this "left wing fundamentalism". Emotional manipulation of parishioners is not what pastors/church leaders should do.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Texaggie7nine
Why is it that so many christian parents of gay children have such turnarounds on their views of homosexuality?

Is it "sympathy"? I would argue it is "empathy" that changes their ways.

Now some on here may think that is a bad thing because "made up book and made up man in the sky says gay is bad" but I think it is a wonderful thing.

For a person so bigoted in their views and so sure that they are right because of how they interpret a made up book, to have a complete about face when they are finally able to understand what it must be like to grow up gay. To actually be able to put themselves in their gay children's shoes and truly see how cruel a world is to them, largely because of the very beliefs that they,as the parent, held before being able to empathize with what they once hated.
7nine
kurt vonnegut
AG
Stasco said:

But, as you clearly laid out in your post, it's impossible for us to fully imagine every lived experience. I am a man, and try as I might, I can't fully imagine what it would feel like to be a woman who is violently raped. I understand that it's a horrible crime. I understand that it inflicts pain, and humiliation, and trauma. And so I try to have every bit of compassion I can summon for victims of rape. But if I limited my compassion to the extent of the psychological pain that I could personally imagine, I would probably sell it short. To have sympathy, I have to take my own understanding of similar pain, and intellectually place it in the context of someone who is different from me. Who is likely physically weaker than I am. Whose sexuality is inherently ordered to nurturing life. Who, rightly or wrongly, has to contend with a standard of sexual purity and desirability that is simply different from that of a man.

For me to try and be "empathetic" in that situation is to say to a female rape victim "I feel your pain." I hope we can agree that that would be obviously wrong in that situation. I'm suggesting that's it's always wrong, for the same reasons, in every situation.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is this: if you want to posit that empathy is simply the exercise of imagining the pain of another, I would say that's a good exercise, but it falls far short of the extent of compassion that we are called to give according to Christian love. To limit ourselves in that way I think is borne of hubris. And hubris, as the queen of the deadly sins, is most certainly of the Devil.

I think that we are mostly on the same page and I find myself nodding along to most all of your post.

Regarding the middle paragraph I've copied above; I agree it is wrong (or I might go with 'disingenuous') for you to say 'I feel your pain'. However, I don't think that needs to stop us from trying to feel her pain and understand what someone who goes through rape experiences. You or I will never fully or perfectly understand that pain, but the closer we get, the better we understand others. This applies to so many of our social conflicts. We look at different 'group' or people with different 'beliefs' and their actions and words seem nuts to us. But to them, it makes perfect sense. Not being willing to try to put yourself in someone else's shoes, with their emotions, and their experiences to understand why they say and do what they do. . . . I think this is the danger and it leads to a lot of misunderstanding. I think this is keeping with what you are saying - we may just be assigning different terms.
schmendeler
AG
this thread topic comes across as something a pastor who is bored would dream up as something different than the usual sermon.
dermdoc
AG
Possibly. I really like the way CS Lewis described it in the Screwtape letters. I think y'all would enjoy reading it and I do not know how to do links. Google will lead you to it.
Stasco
AG
schmendeler said:

this thread topic comes across as something a pastor who is bored would dream up as something different than the usual sermon.
Do you ever actually contribute anything of substance. At least your puns in the Brash thread were somewhat witty.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.