Brash Brewing Houston hosts a Satanic Mass

8,961 Views | 112 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by gordo97
Stasco
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Evidently a couple of weeks ago, Brash Brewing in Houston teamed up with the Houston Satanic Temple to host a black mass. I won't link their site here, but the details are very easy to find on your search engine of choice. Of course, a "legitimate" black mass requires the desecration of an actual Consecrated Host, and the organizers have played coy about whether or not they actually stole a Host from a Catholic parish somewhere.

In any case, the whole thing is bizarre as much as it is disgusting to me. Seems odd that a brewing company would go so far to piss off a substantial portion of their potential consumer base. I'm a big beer drinker (and sometimes homebrewer.) I don't think I've had Brash before, but I'd certainly heard of them. On closer inspection, it seems fairly obvious from their logo that they're big on satanic imagery, but I guess somehow I hadn't noticed.

Thoughts? I assume I'm way behind on discovering this, but just a PSA in case anyone else is shopping for a six pack and would prefer not to drink a beer involving the desecration of our Blessed Lord.
chimpanzee
Can't imagine what retailers would stock their stuff, but in Clown World 2019, you never know.

Not sure if these people are intentionally aligning with evil, or just nihilists looking to piss people off and inadvertently aligning with evil, but from my believing Catholic perspective, they arouse a deep sense of pity more than rage. They may get a hold of consecrated host, but their machinations hold no power over it or Him.
schmendeler
AG
this has been brewing for some time, but I guess it's finally come to a head. lots of people really hopped up over this. not sure if they will be able to bottle the anger some people are wanting to tap into.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
747 clued me into the this event and brewery as well. I'll never drink their beer because of it, nor support bars that do.

Whether they used consecrated host or not, they are really trying to bolster their bad boy metal image with this.
swimmerbabe11
The houston thread on it was fairly interesting.

https://texags.com/forums/38/topics/3078010

I've never drank their beers because I dont like people who act offensively for the sake of being offensive.
dermdoc
AG
Agree. And that is a tough forum to be a Christian on. Need to wear a hard hat.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
swimmerbabe11
I ain't skeered. People can be mean to me on the internet if they want. I've got people who love me.
dermdoc
AG
Good on you. Man they are mean spirited. Almost self confirming.

But until the Lord saved me, I was lost too. Every knee shall bow.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

I ain't skeered. People can be mean to me on the internet if they want. I've got people who love me.

Nice job swimmy. Keep strong. You do well defending the faith.

That is a rough lot, almost forum 16 level anti-popery.

It is also sad, that some fellow aggies can't have enough respect for other beliefs despite their non belief.
dermdoc
AG
I think it is more anti Christian than anti Pope.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
dermdoc said:

I think it is more anti Christian than anti Pope.

Ya. That's true... i was trying using Popery in a more vague anti catholic sense, not specifically the pope.

Analogy fail on my part.
dermdoc
AG
No problem my friend. We are on the same team.
BusterAg
AG
I don't find these guys to be any more offensive than the cult of the flying spaghetti monster guys.

I see it more as a heavy metal version of the same argument. It is basically just a double bird to Christianity and judeo / Christian principals.

Whatever. If you want to purposefully offend me, that is the country we live in. Won't buy your beer.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms … disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes… . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”

--Thomas Jefferson
dermdoc
AG
Agree. Just feel sorry for them.
diehard03
sounds like a 3Floyds copycat.
AgLiving06
The problem I have is brash is probably counting on the outrage to promote their new beer. They also know that Christians won't retaliate against them.

Get back to me when they put Mohammad on the can to really stir up some controversy.
diehard03
they probably aren't counting on outrage as promotion. They are simply catering to a market that doesn't care or respects the "brashness" of their message.

That said, all that matters is if it's good or not.
Frok
AG
Not the best marketing strategy.
swimmerbabe11
I've thought about this. If they really did go to all the trouble of securing consecrated hosts, that level of hatred is really depressing. I'm not terribly offended.. but Christ endured all that on the cross. They will do what they want and we are taught that people will always be there to spit and mock Christ and Christians. The world will hate us because we do not belong here.

I find it more offensive when Christians are lackadaisical when celebrating the Lord's Supper.
jrico2727
AG
This group did brag about desecrating the Blessed Sacrament and insulted the blessed virgin. I know some people who went to the rosary rally to protest this sacrilege. There were more christians that showed up than satanist. We should pray for the people who ignorantly invited the demonic forces into their lives. We should pray for their conversions and reparation for the sacrilege that the performed.
Stasco
AG
Man, that Houston board thread is rough. There are some bitter, angry people over there. Not to mention the handful of clueless (or willfully obtuse) posters. "Wait, there are people who really believe..." etc.
dermdoc
AG
This thread is a witness to what the Holy Spirit does to change believers. No real anger just genuine concern and even offer of prayer. Truly love your enemy stuff. You folks encourage and edify me. Thanks.
Aggrad08
AG
I was expecting much worse on the Houston thread based on the comments here. It's about 1/10th as the assult I'd expect for a liberal post on the politics board.
diehard03
I know it sounds funny, but I find this action strange by the Satanists. I always thought the Satanic church was something tongue in cheek explicitly existing to point out the hypocrisy of Christians. Actually holding a black masses seems counter to this mission. I know there's no consensus with this sect but it seems very strange to me.

edit: it appears that this is the Houston chapter of TST, which is supposed to promote "empathy for all".

It's ironic that they show their own hypocrisy with this event.
chimpanzee
swimmerbabe11 said:

I've never drank their beers because I dont like people who act offensively for the sake of being offensive.

With all of the substantive arguments out there against this or that doctrine, it remains the facile shortcuts to unbelief that seem to keep getting traction for the hot take crowd. Such is life.
dermdoc
AG
chimpanzee said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

With all of the substantive arguments out there against this or that doctrine, it remains the facile shortcuts to unbelief that seem to keep getting traction for the hot take crowd. Such is life.

Yep. Definitely the easiest way. And I have been there and done that. It is much more fun and challenging to search for truth. And peace and joy. Grace and the Holy Spirit give me that. And we make the Gospel a whole lot more difficult than it is. As Jesus said, it should be simple enough that we become like little children to accept it.
aggietony2010
AG
Frok said:

Not the best marketing strategy.

My brother is a big beer drinker and devout Catholic. (I'm a devout Catholic too, I just don't drink much). All the places serving Brash are off his list. We had planned to go to brunch (as a Catholic extended family if around 20), but decided to eat at home instead because the place served Brash. There's definitely been an effort out here in Katy to let businesses know what they're associating with by serving Brash.

I do know that Growler USA pulled 6 taps, and may have even taken a decent sized loss on their existing inventory. I'll be heading there next time I go out for beer.
94chem
Quote:

Of course, a "legitimate" black mass requires the desecration of an actual Consecrated Host
So, basically, if I'm evangelical, there's no way for them to desecrate anything? I mean, I guess they could steal a hymn book or a piece of playground equipment. We have some of the old felt characters from the Sunday school curriculum.
Zobel
AG
I guess if nothing is sacred, then nothing can be profane..?
dermdoc
AG
k2aggie07 said:

I guess if nothing is sacred, then nothing can be profane..?

I believe that is the point they are trying to make. Sort of like moral anarchy.
88Warrior
Just a desperate attention grab....They can only offend you if you let them....Just gives us more people to pray for...Be a light in this dark world...
Frok
AG
88Warrior said:

Just a desperate attention grab....They can only offend you if you let them....Just gives us more people to pray for...Be a light in this dark world...

Good point. It's tough to not fall into the outrage trap.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
94chem said:

Quote:

Of course, a "legitimate" black mass requires the desecration of an actual Consecrated Host
So, basically, if I'm evangelical, there's no way for them to desecrate anything? I mean, I guess they could steal a hymn book or a piece of playground equipment. We have some of the old felt characters from the Sunday school curriculum.

This is the way I've always approached icons and the like. A God that can be desecrated by burning a Bible or a consecrated host never felt like one much worshipping. A church is the people and their belief in the Holy Spirit, not things.

Things like this just don't bother me.
jrico2727
AG
A consecrated host is the body of Christ, Jesus is fully present body, soul and divinity. A desecration of the host is a attack on Christ himself. It is more than attack on a icon or a thing. I understand not all believe this, but this was the intention of those who did these actions.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
jrico2727 said:

A consecrated host is the body of Christ, Jesus is fully present body, soul and divinity. A desecration of the host is a attack on Christ himself. It is more than attack on a icon or a thing. I understand not all believe this, but this was the intention of those who did these actions.

I don't believe in transubstantiation, so I would disagree with you. Also, I would argue their intention was to get under the skin of Catholics.

Regardless, peace in Christ.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.