Temporary Marriages are Halal

2,252 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Buck Turgidson
Thomas Sowell, PhD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
"These "pleasure marriages" can last for years, months, several days, one night, or a few hours. Popular in places like Iran but also quietly practiced in America, Mut'ah is a handy option for unmarried Shiite Muslims who want to have sex without settling down for life. "There can be no sex outside of marriage," says the 29-year-old Selman, a champion weightlifter who, over the past 10 years, has been temporarily married 25 times."
diehard03
I can imagine that is the cultural situation that Jesus found himself during the Sermon on the Mount and why the divorce portion is canon.
dermdoc
AG
To me, this is why the Holy Spirit is so important. If you have the Spirit, you know this behavior is not right.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Martin Q. Blank
Eph. 5:31 "Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh." 32 This mystery is profound, and I am saying that it refers to Christ and the church.

I can't imagine a "temporary" marriage between Christ and the church.
UTExan
I recall my Persian professor telling me that the theological students at the seminary or hawza in Qom, Iran made it a regular thing to have female companionship by engaging in these types of temporary marriages while in school. The women would gain temporary financial, although it sounds like the sugar daddy arrangements extant on college campuses these days.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Aggie4Life02
AG
For I hate divorce," says the Lord , the God of Israel, "and him who covers his garment with wrong," says the Lord of hosts. "So take heed to your spirit, that you do not deal treacherously."
Malachi 2:16 NASB
https://bible.com/bible/100/mal.2.16.NASB
craigernaught
AG
A similar arrangement exists in Sunni Islam. A friend explained to me that here in Amman, citizens from Gulf countries will sometimes temporarily marry locals during their trips. They have a contract with an termination date and everything. For what it's worth, he thought the whole practice was disgusting.

Gulfi's often travel to the Levant for the good weather and personal freedoms during the summer. They're not always particularly well liked, though tourism makes for good business. The locals think the Gulfi's are often rich, lazy, and too liberal.

Edit: I could be wrong here as I'm relying on what a friend told me and would appreciate any correction.
tehmackdaddy
AG
Surely an escape clause found from a pursuit to intentionally exploit a technicality and ignore a broader truth is self-evident to any who truly wish to follow their faith. People simply blind themselves in order to pursue their sinful desires.

Edit: and to think God is some sort of eternal attorney limited by the legal system He created...as if He is up there with His hands on His head thinking, "Welp! You figured out how to game to system...kudos to you!" It is an attitude not of trying to please God, but only oneself.
UTExan
I used to joke that marriages ought to be renewable every 6 years and that to have a child, you should post a $10,000 bond with the federal or state governments to cover welfare cost, juvenile crime issues etc, relating to raising the child. I think Islamic practices were way ahead of me.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Duncan Idaho
craigernaught said:

A similar arrangement exists in Sunni Islam. A friend explained to me that here in Amman, citizens from Gulf countries will sometimes temporarily marry locals during their trips. They have a contract with an termination date and everything. For what it's worth, he thought the whole practice was disgusting.

Gulfi's often travel to the Levant for the good weather and personal freedoms during the summer. They're not always particularly well liked, though tourism makes for good business. The locals think the Gulfi's are often rich, lazy, and too liberal.

Edit: I could be wrong here as I'm relying on what a friend told me and would appreciate any correction.

There is a common saying "Allah cannot see into Bahrain "
94chem
Duncan Idaho said:

craigernaught said:

= What happens here stays here.

Inshallah = Maana.

Funny how different cultures say the same things in their own way.
94chem
94chem said:

Duncan Idaho said:

craigernaught said:

= What happens here stays here.

Inshallah = Manyana (texags won't let me type a tilde)

Funny how different cultures say the same things in their own way.
Buck Turgidson
A similar concept is the very foundation of the Church of England. Religion based upon sin...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.