Lighten Up: Isaac and Abraham

1,756 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by DirtDiver
PacifistAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
dermdoc
AG
Thanks brother. And still praying for you and your job stuff.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Martin Q. Blank
It's amazing Isaac still believed in God after he learned what he told Abraham to do.
PacifistAg
AG
dermdoc said:

Thanks man. Had an employee call me up this morning just to pray for me over the phone. That was a huge lift.
dermdoc
AG
PacifistAg said:

dermdoc said:

Thanks man. Had an employee call me up this morning just to pray for me over the phone. That was a huge lift.

I am constantly amazed at how many caring Christians there are in the world. Since we began offering prayer to our patients, the testimonies and demonstrated love has been very up lifting. I had no idea there were so many believers.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
swimmerbabe11
Martin Q. Blank said:

It's amazing Isaac still believed in God after he learned what he told Abraham to do.

So, I'm not sure that is what I think is amazing. I always assumed that Isaac could hear the Angel of the Lord talking when he stopped Abraham and all that.. hard to not believe when you literally hear the supernatural.

What is amazing is that Isaac was so obedient that he was like "oh, I'm gonna be the sacrifice? cool, cool, let me just not fight you to the death on that"

I love my parents dearly, but if they asked me to hop up on a sacrificial altar so that I can be the offering, I'm gonna go a bit Lizzie Borden on them. (and maybe then use the parentals as a sacrifice)
jrico2727
AG
In a RCIA class I am assisting with we recently discussed this topic. Obviously we were going over the prefigurement to the sacrifice of Christ. I like most people had always assumed that Isaac was a young child. Although the scripture never specifically names his age at the time we found out there is a tradition that he was much older possibly even around 33 years old. This makes sense because he had to carry the wood for the alter up the mountain, and also he would have been more aware of what was going on. God did provide the Ram for the sacrifice but also Christ was both the son of God and Abraham, so in a way Abraham still did sacrifice his son. I just found it interesting that there was a lot more to contemplate with this story than I ever had in it relationship to the crucifixion.
Zobel
AG
Never thought about Christ as Abraham's son in the context of sacrifice. Cool.
ramblin_ag02
AG
It should be noted that God promised Sarah a son, and that son would be the father of many nations. This was in Genesis 17, well before Isaac's birth. Later, in Genesis 22, God commands Abraham to sacrifice Isaac. What is Isaac to make of this? He already had a promise from God that Isaac would be the father of many nations, and yet here is God commanding him to kill Isaac. Abraham must have had faith in God's original promise, so much faith that he believed that God could fulfill that promise even if Isaac was dead. In other words, Abraham must have had belief that God had power over death and could resurrect his sacrificed son. That may seem obvious to us now, but it was a big deal before the revelations of Ezekiel and Jesus
PA24
AG
Issac was not a young boy during this time, he was a young man who walked with God.

.......a foretelling story of a Father sacrificing his son for the forgiveness of sin.

A symbolic act of the death of Christ...... just as strong a statement as the the blood of the lamb over the door of the Israelites during the Passover saved the first born from certain death.

Jesus is all over the OT.
Win At Life
AG
Remember Abraham told his people that he and Isaac would go worship and WE will come back. By that admission, Abraham either lied or he believed God would resurrect Isaac.

Also, note that Isaac asked where the LAMB was and Abraham said God would provide a LAMB, but it was a RAM caught in the tree.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Good catch!
DirtDiver

Quote:

Abraham either lied or he believed God would resurrect Isaac.
Hebrews 11:17 By faith Abraham, when he was tested, offered up Isaac, and he who had received the promises was offering up his only begotten son; 18 it was he to whom it was said, "In Isaac your descendants shall be called." 19 He considered that God is able to raise people even from the dead, from which he also received him back as a type.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.