Do y'all know

12,708 Views | 310 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Serotonin
dermdoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That the only folks who are saved go to the Church of Christ in Port Acres Tx?

Not even other CofC. Just this one.

Interesting theology I just learned about.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Next step is purple sheets, Nike's and punch.
dermdoc
AG
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Aggrad08
AG
It says the path is narrow and few will find it. Seems to check out.
UTExan
I had always suspected that.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
chimpanzee
Shoot. I was thinking it was in Silsbee. Should have taken a right off I-10.
swimmerbabe11
Well, at least it is in Texas.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Well at least we finally found the right church. Now we only have to find the right faction within the right church, so that after the split we're still in God's good graces. Hate to be in the right church but wrong faction. You have no idea how much God hates those guys
dermdoc
AG
From my Bible readings today

Hebrews 2
But we do see Jesus, who was made lower than the angels for a little while, now crowned with glory and honor because He suffered death, so that by the grace of God He might taste death for EVERYONE.
In bringing MANY sons and daughter to glory...

Hallelujah. Praise the Lord!
dermdoc
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

Well at least we finally found the right church. Now we only have to find the right faction within the right church, so that after the split we're still in God's good graces. Hate to be in the right church but wrong faction. You have no idea how much God hates those guys
I think division, bickering, and exclusion are the work of Satan. But I am out there. But in my reading, Jesus never excluded anyone. The goats exclude themselves.
Zobel
AG
To be fair, the line "purge the evil from among you" is repeated at least five times in Deuteronomy alone (13:5, 17:7, 17:12, 21:21, 22:21).

In 1 Cor 5 St Paul quotes this - saying that people who do certain deeds should cause morning among the faithful so that the one who did it "might be removed out of the midst of you". We should not even eat with people who claim to be Christians but act in immoral, profane, bad ways - whatever you want to call it. Note though that this is done by mourning, and in Love, not out of anger - and by the Church, collectively, not one person. This is no different than the command of the Lord in Matthew 18:17.
dermdoc
AG
Do not disagree. I will say in my experience in Church leadership arguments were usually on petty things based on the usual things power, pride, and ego. Very rarely did I see actual moral things like adultery, etc. present as dividing subjects.

And my point was how can anyone read the verse I put on here and think only one specific church or whatever are the beneficiaries of God's Grace?
one MEEN Ag
AG
dermdoc said:

Do not disagree. I will say in my experience in Church leadership arguments were usually on petty things based on the usual things power, pride, and ego. Very rarely did I see actual moral things like adultery, etc. present as dividing subjects.

And my point was how can anyone read the verse I put on here and think only one specific church or whatever are the beneficiaries of God's Grace is hard to reconcile with Scripture.
The pastor at the church I went to growing up shared a similar story one Sunday morning. He was checking out at the grocery store, shooting the breeze with the other people in line and the guy behind him remarked that he was a pastor too. Of course the standard conversation happened. 'Oh which church?' The other guy responded, "THE Church, the one they talk about in the new testament."

Apparently, this other pastor's church was named, 'The Church' and he was adamant that they were the only ones going to Heaven and that this church was the one talked about specifically in the new testament.

Protestantism is a hell of drug sometimes.

As a side note, I don't blame bad theology on this one, but on Ohio State for starting this nonsense.
dermdoc
AG
Didn't Paul write letters to numerous churches? And not just one?
one MEEN Ag
AG
dermdoc said:

Didn't Paul write letters to numerous churches? And not just one?
The Thessalonians (TM) and Corinthians (TM) are all wholly owned subsidiaries of THE Church (TM)
Quad Dog
AG
You guys are semi-mocking this small church for saying that out all of humanity that ever existed, only a few hundred people at the right place and right time is getting salvation. But isn't that basically main-stream Christianity, just on a smaller scale?
Main-stream Christianity believes that members of other religions don't get salvation, right? (I know someone is going to quote some priest or somebody and prove that sentence wrong, but if we could magically poll all Christians the vast majority would believe that) Therefore, all the billions of humans born in Asian countries have no realistic chance at salvation through Christianity. Also, all the billions of humans born before Christianity started also missed the boat. This Church seems to me the same mindset, just on a smaller scale.
Zobel
AG
Quad Dog said:

You guys are semi-mocking this small church for saying that out all of humanity that ever existed, only a few hundred people at the right place and right time is getting salvation. But isn't that basically main-stream Christianity, just on a smaller scale?
Main-stream Christianity believes that members of other religions don't get salvation, right? (I know someone is going to quote some priest or somebody and prove that sentence wrong, but if we could magically poll all Christians the vast majority would believe that) Therefore, all the billions of humans born in Asian countries have no realistic chance at salvation through Christianity. Also, all the billions of humans born before Christianity started also missed the boat. This Church seems to me the same mindset, just on a smaller scale.
I don't think that's in line with Christian thinking. The gospel is not exclusive. The scriptures say Christ died for all, that God wills all men to come to salvation. Christ Jesus is the firstborn from among the dead - not only for those who came after, but also before. He's the firstfruit, one of many, Jew and Gentile alike, i.e., all humans.

Further, traditional Christian teaching is that any time a person does anything good, anything right, they're doing that through the grace and action of God.

Anyone who tells you that the salvation offered by Christianity excludes anyone is simply not correct, in my opinion. God is sovereign, He saves who He saves, He judges who He judges - and the judgment is that He saves everyone from death.
Zobel
AG
dermdoc said:

And my point was how can anyone read the verse I put on here and think only one specific church or whatever are the beneficiaries of God's Grace?
Ya no doubt. Its silly.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Quote:

You are correct, and it's equally ridiculous when Christians of any kind say definitely that only they are saved. It's not up to us
dermdoc
AG
Amen. Churches like this are making themselves God in a way.
swimmerbabe11
I'm just glad we finally figured out where aggiedad goes to church.
Texaggie7nine
Quad Dog said:

I give credit to most denominations that stand by John 3:16 and do not tack on any requirement to believe in a certain interpretation of the Bible.

Saying that all you need to do is believe in and give your heart to Jesus is much broader than "our particular interpretation of the bible is the only way to heaven".

I don't see how that is analogous to Christianity vs the other religions.
7nine
dermdoc
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Quad Dog said:

I give credit to most denominations that stand by John 3:16 and do not tack on any requirement to believe in a certain interpretation of the Bible.

Saying that all you need to do is believe in and give your heart to Jesus is much broader than "our particular interpretation of the bible is the only way to heaven".

The churches I have gone to have all believed that all you had to do was what you said. I assume the church you were at did not. Gospel means good news. A lot of Christians seem to have forgotten that.

And for me, Christianity is not a religion. It is a relationship. And John 3:17 is great too.
Texaggie7nine
dermdoc said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Quad Dog said:

The churches I have gone to have all believed that all you had to do was what you said. I assume the church you were at did not. Gospel means good news. A lot of Christians seem to have forgotten that.

And for me, Christianity is not a religion. It is a relationship. And John 3:17 is great too.
The churches I grew up in did. The CoC private school I went to for a year did not. Nor did the CoC my step mother went to.
7nine
dermdoc
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

dermdoc said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Quad Dog said:

The churches I grew up in did. The CoC private school I went to for a year did not. Nor did the CoC my step mother went to.
Plenty of room for you brother. Romans 8:1.
BusterAg
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Quad Dog said:

You seriously, seriously rock. How many times have we been on opposing sides to a friendly argument about this?

Lots of love for you 79.
dermdoc
AG
BusterAg said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Quad Dog said:

You seriously, seriously rock. How many times have we been on opposing sides to a friendly argument about this?

Lots of love for you 79.
Agree.
Texaggie7nine
What can I say? I'm a "cultural christian".
7nine
dermdoc
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

What can I say? I'm a "cultural christian".

Sounds like to me you are a Christian who got burned by a bad church(school)experience. To my knowledge, there is no Bible verse that says if you do not believe in an ECT hell concept that you are not a believer.

Lots of churches out there. And it sounds like you already have a personal relationship with the Lord.

Texaggie7nine
I love the full gospel church I grew up in. I love Lakewood that I went to for years (pre Joel).

If were to go back to church for sentimental reasons, those would be the first I go back to.
7nine
dermdoc
AG
Don't let a bad experience keep you from the joy of worshipping the Lord.
Texaggie7nine
Experience isn't the obstacle. Rational thought is.
7nine
Serotonin
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

OK, then don't let rational thought keep you away.

There are more things in heaven and Earth, 7nine, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy
dermdoc
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Faith by definition is irrational. As is love.
Texaggie7nine
Love is rational as a means to happiness and well being for society.

Love requires no belief. Love is an emotion dependent upon chemical stimulation that can be wielded.

Just as being a fan of a sports team. It requires no belief in any unprovable truths.
7nine

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.