Jesus Is King by Kanye West

6,752 Views | 76 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by bmks270
wealeat09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have you listened yet?

I think it's an extremely powerful endorsement of Christ's power to heal a broken soul.

It's truly a beautiful album and now millions of people who might not have heard a prayer directed to Jesus have.

Here's my favorite part of the album from the song, Water:
Quote:

Jesus, flow through us
Jesus, heal the bruises
Jesus, clean the music
Jesus, please use us
Jesus, please help
Jesus, please heal
Jesus, please forgive
Jesus, please reveal
Jesus, give us strength
Jesus, make us well
Jesus, help us live
Jesus, give us wealth
Jesus is our safe
Jesus is our rock
Jesus, give us grace
Jesus, keep us safe

Regardless of what happens in Kanye's future, this album stands alone in the glory of Christ and I think it's cultural impact will be incredible.
Woody2006
AG
Quote:

Have you ever popped champagne on a plane
While getting' some brain
Whipped it out, she said "I never seen snakes on a plane"

- also Kayne West
wealeat09
AG
Yes. He wrote secular songs before. If you'd like to learn more about his conversion and testimony I can send you links.
SquareOne07
AG
Woody2006 said:

Quote:

Have you ever popped champagne on a plane
While getting' some brain
Whipped it out, she said "I never seen snakes on a plane"

- also Kayne West

"Secular songs"
dan87
AG
Go Kanye! Usually love his stuff from a music perspective. I haven't listened to this album yet.

I am a little weary of people casting Kanye in the role of leading millions to Jesus because of a sudden and very promoted conversion. Feels a little like Christians are jumping in bed with a man that has historically thought of himself as equal to/as important as Jesus (i.e. Yezus) and it would be insanely ironic to me if this were an artists attempt to show that people can be convinced of anything. How quickly did everyone jump onto the "FaceApp" thing where it was marketed as a harmless fun app for the entire family, and it turned out to be a big Russian thing to collect data on Americans? Not saying that this is the case with the JiK album, but I can understand where people are at least weary of its authenticity.

I heard someone refer to him as a modern day Saul because of this "get" for God, which is why I ask did he stop accepting money from his old albums(the person he once was)? If so, that's a pretty awesome testimony.
Frok
AG
Definitely interesting. Hope he is genuine
UTExan
Good for Kanye.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
c-jags
I listened and enjoyed 4-5 tracks.

Much like when a one sided news story breaks, I'm going to hold my opinions on Kanye's conversion for a while.

Even in the moments where he was claiming himself on the level of Jesus in the past, you had to know it was an act at some level.

That being said, I thought the lyrics were that of a converted genuine man, and not hoky generic Christianity.
swimmerbabe11
I've been meaning to post about this! I've started listening to the album but not through it yet.

Awesome things:

schmendeler
AG
This guy is an incredible promoter. He could be a president for real if the Trump precedent holds any weight.
94chem
What in the world this have to do with a "face app thing"?
gordo97
AG
Love it! Go Kanye!!!
fletch03
AG
Provide some links please. I'd like to hear his testimony.
chimpanzee
Excellent for him.
dan87
AG
Absolutely nothing. Just a comparison/analogy (maybe?) to our current state of culture.

All I was saying is that recently people are quick to latch onto entertainment fads. If it is being talked about or promoted on social media, you better believe people are going to talk about it in the office.

I'm still trying to figure out if this is "Kanye West, LLC" or Kanye West, IRL. I'm honestly curious if this is a social experiment by Kanye West, LLC to see how much influence he really has over society. I've also considered if it's possible he is doing some sort of method acting where he is taking on a persona for this particular album?

I'm not tryin to gauge Kanye West's development of faith or salvation. I've never talked to the guy. All I know is Kanye West the entertainer.
diehard03
Quote:

Feels a little like Christians are jumping in bed with a man that has historically thought of himself as equal to/as important as Jesus (i.e. Yezus) and it would be insanely ironic to me if this were an artists attempt to show that people can be convinced of anything.

People love a good story, especially a redemption one. I also think a lot of Christians have the "God is so awesome because of this" cannon loaded at all times and fire it whenever something comes remotely close to being worthy of it.

I think the only danger when we look at these things as a proof of God being who he says he is. If (and when) this person stumbles, we look foolish because we didn't trust God - we leaned on this "proof".
wealeat09
AG
I'll follow up with some more, but I just watched this video this morning. It's footage from the album listening in DC where Kanye reads some of his favorite verses and talks about his conversion.

Here's also a video of his service in Atlanta from a couple of weeks ago, he begins sort of telling his testimony, singing and praying at together at 27:05. IMO, the Holy Spirit had ahold of him as its beautiful.

Jim Hogg is angry
AG
Interesting that some of the proponents of inclusion and not judging others have no problem judging the sincerity of Kanye's professed conversion. I have heard his pastor speak before and while there might be some pragmatic differences, he preaches the gospel and sanctification in Christ. As the parable of the wheat and tares shows, time will tell if he is truly born again. If he is, at this moment he's but a babe in Christ and I hope he's truly repented of his former lifestyle and emerges as a new creature in Christ.
wealeat09
AG
Kanye even addresses it in one of the songs, Hands On:
Quote:

[Verse 1: Kanye West]
Cut out all the lights, He the light
Got pulled over, see the brights
What you doin' on the street at night?
Wonder if they're gonna read your rights
Thirteenth Amendment, three strikes
Made a left when I should've made a right
Told God last time on life
Told the devil that I'm going on a strike
Told the devil when I see him, on sight
I've been working for you my whole life
Told the devil that I'm going on a strike
I've been working for you my whole life
Nothing worse than a hypocrite
Change, he ain't really different
He ain't even try to get permission
Ask for advice and they dissed him
Said I'm finna do a gospel album
What have you been hearin' from the Christians?
They'll be the first one to judge me
Make it feel like nobody love me

Feelin' like nobody love me
Told people God was my mission
Make it feel like nobody love me
Make you feel alone in the dark and you'll never see the light
Man, you're never seein' home and you never see the domes
I can feel it when I write, point of livin' in the right
If they only see the wrongs, never listen to the songs
Just to listen is a fight, but you booked me for the fight
It's so hard to get along if they only see the slight
From the love of religion
Make it seem like nobody love me
I'm not tryna lead you to Visas
But if I try to lead you to Jesus
We get called halfway believers
Only halfway read Ephesians
Only if they knew what I knew, uh
I was never new 'til I knew of
True and living God, Yeshua
The true and living God
(Somebody pray for me)
wealeat09
AG
dan87 said:

I'm not tryin to gauge Kanye West's development of faith or salvation. I've never talked to the guy. All I know is Kanye West the entertainer.

Kanye has said multiple times he is no longer an entertainer. He is on a mission to serve Christ.

To me this explanation of it is from a man who understands Jesus more than a lot of mainline churches.

jkag89
Yeezus Follows Jesus
by Nic Rowan | First Things

Quote:

"Would you consider yourself to be a Christian music artist now?" Jimmy Kimmel asked Kanye over the weekend.

"I'm just a Christian everything," Kanye replied.

I'm good with it. After all, perfectly nice people don't become saints. God tends to prefer working with jackasses.
wealeat09
AG
Here's another long link (two hour interview) which I've only watched part of, but Kanye really starts explaining his mindset and what he's trying to do with his Sunday Service choir. It all seems dedicated to the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

dermdoc
AG
I think this is great. There are a lot of people who will hear the Gospel for the first time. Kanye now needs to become a role model and he could literally change a lot of lives.

And for the doubters, I think about the story of Paul.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
wealeat09
AG
That kind of talk gets you in trouble on the entertainment board.
747Ag
AG
Kanye West vs. The Amazon Synod

Zobel
AG
That second video is pretty incredible.
wealeat09
AG
I've watched that service 2-3 times now. It's powerful and you can tell it's genuine.

Here's yesterday's Sunday Service where they performed gospel clean versions of his old songs, almost two hours of worship of the Lord:
94chem
Link to Album Tracks

Oh, and the Christians will accept him. That song is about the lies the devil wants him to believe.

It seems so strange that I would learn about this Kanye album on the same weekend where I heard that TobyMac's son had passed.
wealeat09
AG
94chem said:

Link to Album Tracks

Oh, and the Christians will accept him. That song is about the lies the devil wants him to believe.

It seems so strange that I would learn about this Kanye album on the same weekend where I heard that TobyMac's son had passed.
Most Christians are accepting him now that the album is out, but there had A LOT of media coverage with quotes from Christians rejecting him.

https://nypost.com/2019/09/27/why-christians-reject-kanye-wests-jesus-is-king-sunday-service/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7516191/Kanye-West-BLASTED-Christians-Twitter-prepares-drop-new-album-Jesus-King.html

https://www.christianpost.com/voice/is-kanye-west-promoting-jesus-or-exploiting-jesus.html

You should know that he literally finished the album six hours before it was released. I imagine that song was a later addition. Songs like Water and Use This Gospel has been around for a few months.
Macarthur
I don't think he's mentally well.
94chem
wealeat09 said:

94chem said:

Link to Album Tracks

Most Christians are accepting him now that the album is out, but there had A LOT of media coverage with quotes from Christians rejecting him.

https://nypost.com/2019/09/27/why-christians-reject-kanye-wests-jesus-is-king-sunday-service/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7516191/Kanye-West-BLASTED-Christians-Twitter-prepares-drop-new-album-Jesus-King.html

https://www.christianpost.com/voice/is-kanye-west-promoting-jesus-or-exploiting-jesus.html

You should know that he literally finished the album six hours before it was released. I imagine that song was a later addition. Songs like Water and Use This Gospel has been around for a few months.
Well, this is LITERALLY the only thing you've posted about for 3 days, so I guess you'd know.
wealeat09
AG
You know what, no need to respond to personal insults. I don't have to defend myself to you.
dermdoc
AG
Actually imho he seems more cogent and sane than I have ever seen him. The Holy Spirit is a wonderful thing.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
diehard03
not gonna lie, the Chick-Fil-A song had me rolling.
swimmerbabe11
The songs in that second video at 15 min and 20 min are awesome. Still listening.

The album has some good songs and some boring songs. I def like Lecrae better.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.