Theoretical Relativity Engine

1,243 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Aggrad08
ramblin_ag02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.newscientist.com/article/2218685-nasa-engineers-helical-engine-may-violate-the-laws-of-physics/amp/

So this is a cool concept for an inertia engine. Basically, you have a closed system. Start movement in one direction and get equal movement in the other direction, so far so Newtonian. But if your movement reaches relativistic speeds then your moving object becomes more massive and stopping it creates more motion than starting it. The concept is more complicated than that, but I thought it was awesome
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
schmendeler
AG
let's do it
ramblin_ag02
AG
Biggest problem I see is the power requirement. It would basically take a full size nuclear reactor to generate enough power to do anything meaningful. While that's theoretically possible, the engineering and political challenges to having a nuclear reactor in space seem prohibitive. It would be neat to test it small scale on the space station, but I'm not sure how far you can scale down what is basically a particle accelerator
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Aggrad08
AG
How would you keep something like that cool in space?

Also, it sucks it cannot be tested at a small scale as it's a neat idea.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.