Great Twitter follow

2,171 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by bigcat22
PacifistAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
IFB Preacher Clips (@FakeSermon) - sermon clips from the world I grew up in. There are some real doozies in there.

swimmerbabe11
"If mom spends more time in the gym than in the kitchen, there's a problem" says the rotund gentleman.
PacifistAg
AG
Exactly. And for his takeaway from the Prodigal Son parable to be that women need to be in the kitchen, then I would be confident in saying that he slightly missed the mark on the point of the story.
swimmerbabe11
No, no, I think he's on to something there. The sons didn't have wives either. There were absolutely NO women in this story. It was definitely the wimmens fault.
schmendeler
AG
swimmerbabe11
Ah, finally, this guy's foot fetish provides me with the best argument for "Children's church" that I have ever heard.
schmendeler
AG
I kept waiting for a "but I digress" that never came.
PacifistAg
AG
swimmerbabe11
We can go ahead and not send that one to my mother
dermdoc
AG
I could drive them crazy with some David Bentley Hart and all his citations of universalist verses. These guys really need the concept of eternal conscious torment hell to maintain their control. The Gospel is about freedom, not condemnation. Romans 8:1.

And edited to add, I wonder how many people have suffered from depression, left the church and Christianity, suffered anxiety and addiction, even committed suicide(Jonathan Edwards drove two to suicide with his Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God sermon. One was his uncle.)from the teaching of ECT hell? And even though one's concept of "hell" has nothing to do with salvation or the Gospel, if I say that I do not believe in Hell then most Christians think I am going there. It is insane.

And also added that the blue star was added before my edit so I am not saddling anyone else with my beliefs and/or their tacit approval of them.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dermdoc
AG
And one other thing since I am on a roll.

Jesus told Peter to FEED my sheep. Not scare the hell out of them. And of course there is always Paul's sermon on Mars Hill which is the exact antithesis of this type of preaching.

I do take comfort in the fact that observing infernalists's(believers in ECT)they obviously either do not seriously believe in this infernal doctrine or simply ignore it. Otherwise they would spend every waking moment trying to "save" people and be very reluctant to have kids and possibly making them available for ECT.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PacifistAg
AG
dermdoc said:

Jesus told Peter to FEED my sheep. Not scare the hell out of them. And of course there is always Paul's sermon on Mars Hill which is the exact antithesis of this type of preaching.

Oh the IFBC world is all about trying to scare people to God. Regurgitating the sinner's prayer was literally a nightly occurrence for me. Once, in our fundie chapel class, they turned off all the lights and told all the kids to scream. We did that, and when they turned the lights back on, they said "now imagine that, but infinitely worse and in the hottest fire possible. That's what hell is like. Who wants to pray to ask Jesus into their hearts now?" Granted, this was a school where even kindergarteners were in chapel with us.

The scars of this cult are deep.
chimpanzee
PacifistAg said:

dermdoc said:

Oh the IFBC world is all about trying to scare people to God. Regurgitating the sinner's prayer was literally a nightly occurrence for me. Once, in our fundie chapel class, they turned off all the lights and told all the kids to scream. We did that, and when they turned the lights back on, they said "now imagine that, but infinitely worse and in the hottest fire possible. That's what hell is like. Who wants to pray to ask Jesus into their hearts now?" Granted, this was a school where even kindergarteners were in chapel with us.

The scars of this cult are deep.

Spare the PsyOps, spoil the child, or somesuch.
dermdoc
AG
What is weird is that we raised our kids in a non judge mental "liberal" Baptist church. No hellfire and brimstone. No condemnation. Just affirmation and love.

And i think we "spanked" our kids one time. They are now adults and love the Lord. No addictions, no out of wedlock babies, both graduates with my daughter with CHARGE syndrome never driving yet getting her Masters, both employed, happy, etc. And both always want to do stuff with us.

Can't say the same for a lot of kids I know raised in the hellfire and brimstone churches. If you let God work, He will.

And edited to add that kids are not dumb. If they grow up in an abusive, threatening church, it is no different than growing up in an abusive, threatening family. I know kids raised like that who have either left the church or have a lot of psychological scars. Remember Jesus taught us God was our Daddy. And a loving one at that.
Gigem314
AG
dermdoc said:

I could drive them crazy with some David Bentley Hart and all his citations of universalist verses. These guys really need the concept of eternal conscious torment hell to maintain their control. The Gospel is about freedom, not condemnation. Romans 8:1.
Bingo.

That's what this is about for those people...a sense of control. They lack any sense of humility or grace. They don't understand the Gospel.

Heck, one of the earliest occurrences in scripture with arguably the greatest impact on the world today is Abraham taking matters into his own hands with Hagar. He and Sarah had to have control instead of trusting God. As a result, it spawned a counter-culture that produced much of the world's unrest to this day.

These kind of leaders in the modern church today have done the same thing. They've chosen control over trust in God, and it's spawned generations of people who resent Christianity and think the teachings of Christ means looking down on women and scaring everyone into believing.
bigcat22
AG
I feel like there is a spot for Steven Anderson on this thread. Watch some of his YouTube and dude is a lunatic.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.