The Holy Spirit has done a number on me

6,246 Views | 114 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by swimmerbabe11
swimmerbabe11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

Our election hinges, too, on purification in Jesus blood

Oh that little afterthought
Zobel
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

There's a quality in some humans that makes God elect them which is lacking in other humans. You don't know what it is which is disappointing. Do you at least know if we're born with it? Or is it something we create in ourselves? If the latter, I would expect the Bible or some theologian to discover it so we can all be elect. Since it's unknown, those in hell never had a chance.

Reject the premise again. God shows mercy on everyone unilaterally. No person can save themselves. God doesn't save some and not others based on them. The judgment is that He doesn't judge. The judgment is that He saves everyone.

That's quite a different question from - why do some people choose one thing and someone else chooses another. You've moved the question to something about individual people to something about God. But I still don't know why people do what they do; I take God at His word when He says He doesn't judge anyone and came to save and not to condemn.
Martin Q. Blank
k2aggie07 said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

There's a quality in some humans that makes God elect them which is lacking in other humans. You don't know what it is which is disappointing. Do you at least know if we're born with it? Or is it something we create in ourselves? If the latter, I would expect the Bible or some theologian to discover it so we can all be elect. Since it's unknown, those in hell never had a chance.

Reject the premise again. God shows mercy on everyone unilaterally.
What premise? I never used the word mercy. Do you mean to say that God elects everyone? All of mankind is chosen?
Zobel
AG
Premise that God elects people based on them.

And yes. God saves/saved/is saving everyone. Jesus is the Lamb who takes away the sins of the world.
dermdoc
AG
k2aggie07 said:

And yes. God saves/saved/is saving everyone. Jesus is the Lamb who takes away the sins of the world.
Amen. Reading for the second time a very good book by David Bentley Hart titled "That all shall be saved:Heaven, Hell, and Universal Salvation". And he is Orthodox.

If you do read it, please read it with an open mind as I believe he very accurately and Scripturally presents the theology of Christian Universalism.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Martin Q. Blank
k2aggie07 said:

You don't think God elects people based on them or what they do?
Zobel
AG
As far as God is concerned, as far as His action is concerned, everyone is elected or chosen, salvation is universal. "God is the savior of all mankind, especially believers."

I'm not sure how many other ways to say it. Jesus Christ came to save, not condemn.

Do you think choosing some and not others implies condemnation?

How do you understand the judgment of Jesus Christ?
swimmerbabe11
I dont understand this thought process. Either Christ is not omnipotent (He is) and His sacrifice wasnt good enough for all of His creation (it was)...or He willingly shuns and desires the damnation of some of His creation..which contradicts the premise that God is Love.

So this idea makes Christ impotent or cruel. Neither is consistent with the rest of Scripture and what we know about Christ and therefore cannot be true.

Christ's death was an effective death for all and done for all. Man cannot control whether or not God died for Him, but they can reject the gifts that God has given, faith and grace.
dermdoc
AG
Amen
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Mrs. Lovelight
swimmerbabe11
I'm sad to have missed the edits. Haven't seen you on the board in a while and irirc, you are on of our most ardent Calvinists.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.