The Holy Spirit has done a number on me

6,248 Views | 114 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by swimmerbabe11
dermdoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I go to a weekly Bible study here in CS. Retired Aggie economic prof in our group is an outspoken Calvinist. And he and I have become great friends and I do not feel the need to spar with him as I know we both love the Lord.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
diehard03
What do you consider yourself, again?
dermdoc
AG
A born again Christian by God's Grace. An adopted child of God.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
diehard03
yeah, yeah. But since you are excluding yourself from Calvinism...what are you including yourself in?

It is a little column A, a little of column B? (which is ok)
dermdoc
AG
diehard03 said:

yeah, yeah. But since you are excluding yourself from Calvinism...what are you including yourself in?

It is a little column A, a little of column B? (which is ok)
I believe in free will and salvation by grace alone provided freely by God through Christ to everyone but we have the ability to accept or reject God. After that, I honestly do not know if it is God alone through the Holy Spirit who causes us to produce fruit or whether it is a combination of my effort and God's. And I do not really care either way. I will say my mind has been transformed(slowly unfortunately)to where the most important thing to me is becoming more Christ like.
Buck Turgidson
I can't accept Calvinist ideas either, nor do I feel the need to get locked in endless debates with Calvinists - the argument will be settled when we die.
dermdoc
AG
Buck Turgidson said:

I can't accept Calvinist ideas either, nor do I feel the need to get locked in endless debates with Calvinists - the argument will be settled when we die.
Good news is we all end up in the same place.
Mort Rainey
dermdoc said:

I go to a weekly Bible study here in CS. Retired Aggie economic prof in our group is an outspoken Calvinist. And he and I have become great friends and I do not feel the need to spar with him as I know we both love the Lord.
Gee imagine that, treating someone with kindness even though they think differently about things than we do...
dermdoc
AG
It could change the world
swimmerbabe11
Arguing about religion is fun if a) done in good faith b) done in good nature and c) there are no stakes involved
Beer Baron
AG
I kind of feel like this is similar to me bragging that I get along with my friend who was a different major at A&M. That's great, but seems like it should be expected. What about the Tech or, ugh, sip coworker?
swimmerbabe11
When I say good nature/good faith, I basically mean if a person is actually interested in a conversation and not purposely trying to upset you/be insulting..not a reflection on their beliefs but on their intentions
dermdoc
AG
Those are tough situations my friend.
dermdoc
AG
You sure you aren't my daughter?
88Warrior
Debate is good...It either validates your point or you realize what you thought was correct was actually wrong and you change for the better ...it's a win win if done under the right intentions as Babe mentions...
mwm
He has a way of doing that. Example: Paul.
swimmerbabe11
dermdoc said:

You sure you aren't my daughter?

You can totes adopt me
dermdoc
AG
mwm said:

He has a way of doing that. Example: Paul.
Oh I agree. And the Holy Spirit and the devil are very much real.i can testify.
PA24
AG
Discuss
dermdoc
AG
Is that an order?

Seriously, my problem with Calvinism is with how the character of God is understood. The God that has been revealed to me through His grace and my personal relationship with Jesus Christ loves everybody. And is for them, not against them. The God I worship is sovereign, omnipotent, all powerful, yet loving and just. And I do not believe limited atonement and double predestination fit God's character. At least as revealed to me through the Holy Spirit.

Having said that, I respect Calvinist views and love my Calvinist friends but differ with them on theology. And may God have mercy on us all.
swimmerbabe11
To Beer Baron's point, IMO, getting along with your coworkers who come from Tech is perfectly easy, just love them because they dont know any better...

but your Aggie coworker who thinks Sully's name is Joe, believes that the bevel is attractive, and always wears the grocery store merch with the shade of maroon that is basically just red... its really hard to keep your mouth shut and not correct him when he says that Fran was the best Aggie coach of all time.
diehard03
Quote:

Seriously, my problem with Calvinism is with how the character of God is understood. The God that has been revealed to me through His grace and my personal relationship with Jesus Christ loves everybody. And is for them, not against them. The God I worship is sovereign, omnipotent, all powerful, yet loving and just. And I do not believe limited atonement and double predestination fit God's character. At least as revealed to me through the Holy Spirit.

I think Calvinism ends up being a logical extension of what you have to believe if you remove Free Will. Limited Atonement is the one of the end results of this.

I think logically it makes sense...it just runs afoul of our sensibilities like it does for you. However, I think there is more than enough evidence in the Bible of God "violating" his the character that others ascribe to Him. (I saw "violating" in quotes because He's God. He is not bound by someone's definition of something)

I don't commit to Calvinism being "correct", but I can see how it could be.
Martin Q. Blank
dermdoc said:

The God that has been revealed to me through His grace and my personal relationship with Jesus Christ loves everybody.
Maybe. But not in the same way.

"Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated."
dermdoc
AG
True, and God is God and can do whatever He wants.
diehard03
Quote:

Then how do you know your Calvinist friend is wrong?
dermdoc
AG
I don't know if he is wrong. But he thinks I am. There is a difference. And that is the rub. Sometimes it seems being a Calvinist trumps everything else.
Martin Q. Blank
dermdoc said:

Can he be something other than how you understand his character? e.g. not loving everybody the same?
dermdoc
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

dermdoc said:

Can he be something other than how you understand his character? e.g. not loving everybody the same?
Sure. I could be wrong. I hope not. And none of my Calvinist friends would type what I just did.
diehard03
Quote:

I don't know if he is wrong. But he thinks I am. There is a difference. And that is the rub. Sometimes it seems being a Calvinist trumps everything else.

Well, I can see the argument for it since you believe in a different characteristic about God that I would say it pretty significant. That's not to say you can't be brothers in Christ...but it will shape how you view different things.

Personally, I don't know how you square omnipotence/omniscience/creator with free will. So, you have to pick one or the other. To me, the only "wrong" thing is trying to do both.
Martin Q. Blank
dermdoc said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

dermdoc said:

Sure. I could be wrong. I hope not. And none of my Calvinist friends would type what I just did.
I'm sure they would agree that you could be wrong.
dermdoc
AG
diehard03 said:

Quote:

Well, I can see the argument for it since you believe in a different characteristic about God that I would say it pretty significant. That's not to say you can't be brothers in Christ...but it will shape how you view different things.

Personally, I don't know how you square omnipotence/omniscience/creator with free will. So, you have to pick one or the other. To me, the only "wrong" thing is trying to do both.
I see it as God is all those things but in His divine wisdom he gave us choice. And I do not understand why that concept is hard to understand. Otherwise we are just robots without any sayso in anything we do.

And edited to add that the concept of free will(or lack thereof) is always at the base of these discusssions.
dermdoc
AG
Is there really a need for that attitude? Think I am done here for awhile.
diehard03

Quote:

Otherwise we are just robots without any sayso in anything we do.

I think this whole robot thing is really our problem with no Free Will. The problem (at least that I see) is that we always view this from a omniscient perspective, which we don't have.

The robot who has no idea he's programmed doesn't think he's a robot.

aggiedad20
"Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated."

It doesn't take much effort to apply proper Biblical context to understand He wasn't directing hate towards the individual but rather, a nation.

But carry on
aggiedad20
diehard03 said:

Quote:

Then how do you know your Calvinist friend is wrong?

Calvinism is easily refuted with Scripture, but some aren't properly equipped with Truth...
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.