On Meaning

1,373 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by DirtDiver
americathegreat1492
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've been doing a lot of reading on the research on meaning in preparation for a shift in research focus. There are a lot of different models to explain the effects found in the literature, some of which are very different from others. However, we could say that, at the simplest level, they are describing processes by which people make themselves feel better. That is to say that the experience of a lack of meaning is aversive, and each model is trying to describe how it is that people relieve themselves of this aversive experience. This statement is obviously agnostic towards what it actually is to experience a lack of meaning and what meaning is in itself. To answer that question we have a different but related literature full of different models. That's not really what this post is about though. I've gotten to a place where I think I have a tentative conclusion that partially answers the question of meaninglessness. To experience meaning, you must believe in and focus on a high level, abstract system. Some of you are thinking at this point "Duh!" If that were the end of it, this research would be unprofitable. It turns out though, that things start getting interesting when you look at examples of what constitutes a system. It looks like a system is any ideal, so long as it is high level and abstract. The most obvious sort of this system is a religious system. Another example of a system is a political ideology or the set of values that motivates a culture or nation. Another system is, believe it or not, the self. In this case, it is a focus on the ideal self and affirming the integrity of one's self. When meaning is lost, people mentally focus on identifying with one of these ideal systems and this serves a palliative function of restoring a sense of meaning and removing the aversive experience of a loss of meaning. This is not an exhaustive list of what has been explored in the research.

What we can do with this information is consider those times when we feel a loss of meaning, and recognize that to restore it we can choose a system to affirm or identify with. There is one additional issue that we have to address that I haven't seen explored fully enough in the literature yet, and that is the issue of what to do when one experiences doubt in the truth of a system. We could simply affirm a different system, and that would work, but I think a better answer lies in understanding the relationship between action and cognition. That is probably a different post though.

*Informed from research on terror management theory (TMT), self-affirmation theory, the meaning maintenance model, and the reactive approach motivation model.
Athanasius
AG
Would this be helpful? Haven't read it, but it is popular.

https://www.amazon.com/Maps-Meaning-Architecture-Jordan-Peterson/dp/0415922224
UTExan
americathegreat1492 said:

I've been doing a lot of reading on the research on meaning in preparation for a shift in research focus. There are a lot of different models to explain the effects found in the literature, some of which are very different from others. However, we could say that, at the simplest level, they are describing processes by which people make themselves feel better. That is to say that the experience of a lack of meaning is aversive, and each model is trying to describe how it is that people relieve themselves of this aversive experience. This statement is obviously agnostic towards what it actually is to experience a lack of meaning and what meaning is in itself. To answer that question we have a different but related literature full of different models. That's not really what this post is about though. I've gotten to a place where I think I have a tentative conclusion that partially answers the question of meaninglessness. To experience meaning, you must believe in and focus on a high level, abstract system. Some of you are thinking at this point "Duh!" If that were the end of it, this research would be unprofitable. It turns out though, that things start getting interesting when you look at examples of what constitutes a system. It looks like a system is any ideal, so long as it is high level and abstract. The most obvious sort of this system is a religious system. Another example of a system is a political ideology or the set of values that motivates a culture or nation. Another system is, believe it or not, the self. In this case, it is a focus on the ideal self and affirming the integrity of one's self. When meaning is lost, people mentally focus on identifying with one of these ideal systems and this serves a palliative function of restoring a sense of meaning and removing the aversive experience of a loss of meaning. This is not an exhaustive list of what has been explored in the research.

What we can do with this information is consider those times when we feel a loss of meaning, and recognize that to restore it we can choose a system to affirm or identify with. There is one additional issue that we have to address that I haven't seen explored fully enough in the literature yet, and that is the issue of what to do when one experiences doubt in the truth of a system. We could simply affirm a different system, and that would work, but I think a better answer lies in understanding the relationship between action and cognition. That is probably a different post though.

*Informed from research on terror management theory (TMT), self-affirmation theory, the meaning maintenance model, and the reactive approach motivation model.
Are you referring to symbolic annihilation?
https://www.apa.org/monitor/2009/11/terrorism
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
americathegreat1492
I haven't read Maps but I did read Peterson's chapter in the Psychology of Meaning. Not sure about other fields, but in psychology we take all the best minds and researchers on a topic and ask them to write chapters that summarize their work, their theories, and way of thinking. That gets compiled together into a book that other academics buy. It's sort of like a graduate level textbook but not precisely. Anyway, Peterson's theory that is essentially summarized in the chapter and more fleshed out in Maps is a theory of what meaning is. The question I'm focused on at the moment is more about how meaning is formed or restored upon it's loss.
americathegreat1492
Mentioned in the article you linked is the terror management theory (TMT) perspective on, specifically, terrorism. In short TMT, holds that people can become aware of their potential death through various means and it causes them anxiety, or as TMT calls it, death anxiety. According to TMT we reaffirm or identify with a world view (that can take many different forms) to achieve symbolic immortality. This affirmation or identification assuages our death anxiety.

It's only one viewpoint on the meaning restoration problem and TMT is in general fairly devoid of meaning-like language, choosing instead to talk in terms of death and immortality. It's an interesting model, but one that is too specific to account for all meaning restoration effects. I'm more of a fan of the meaning maintenance model (MMM) and the reactive approach motivation (RAM) model.
DirtDiver

Quote:

What we can do with this information is consider those times when we feel a loss of meaning, and recognize that to restore it we can choose a system to affirm or identify with.
If there is no God, then you are right. Meaning is purely a human construct and subjective. In other words, something only has meaning 'to me' and there is no objective meaning.

Quote:

There is one additional issue that we have to address that I haven't seen explored fully enough in the literature yet, and that is the issue of what to do when one experiences doubt in the truth of a system. We could simply affirm a different system, and that would work, but I think a better answer lies in understanding the relationship between action and cognition. That is probably a different post though.
Doubt in the truthfulness of a system does not negate it's validity. If system A is true, and I doubt it's truthfulness, system A does not stop being true.
americathegreat1492
DirtDiver said:

Quote:

What we can do with this information is consider those times when we feel a loss of meaning, and recognize that to restore it we can choose a system to affirm or identify with.
If there is no God, then you are right. Meaning is purely a human construct and subjective. In other words, something only has meaning 'to me' and there is no objective meaning.

Quote:

There is one additional issue that we have to address that I haven't seen explored fully enough in the literature yet, and that is the issue of what to do when one experiences doubt in the truth of a system. We could simply affirm a different system, and that would work, but I think a better answer lies in understanding the relationship between action and cognition. That is probably a different post though.
Doubt in the truthfulness of a system does not negate it's validity. If system A is true, and I doubt it's truthfulness, system A does not stop being true.

1. Not sure where this is coming from. In my eyes, our capacity to perceive meaning is our rational faculty given to us from the creator and it is this capacity that is the image of God imprinted on us. I would argue that it is the desire to use this capacity in it's truest purpose that drives us towards God. All perception of meaning is the use of this faculty. However, it can be and is distorted, clouded, or blocked due to the introduction of sin into the cosmos. Our salvation partly lies in the purification of this capacity so that we may properly perceive God and act in accordance with His will.

2. I don't disagree with this....it doesn't change the fact that people experience doubt. To reiterate, I don't think the thing to do when doubting is to ignore it's origin, but is instead to do something else (that involves action). I won't expand on that here because it's another long post.
DirtDiver

Quote:

1. Not sure where this is coming from

This sentence above makes it sound like, if I feel a loss of meaning, I can restore that meaning by choosing a different system. If I no longer feel like being a man, it's okay, I can choose in my mind to be a woman or if I cannot find meaning in Christianity, it's okay, I can simply find meaning by choosing to be a Buddhist, etc.

If Christianity is true, and I find personal meaning in Buddhism which is not true, then my subjective meaning is objectively meaningless.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.