Being a doormat Christian

2,100 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Zobel
FTAggies
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Heard a sermon about NOT being someone who rolls over and takes it, abuse, punishment, etc.; essentially don't turn the other cheek, apparently the opposite of what Jesus said. My question is this, should we just lay down and die in the modern day coliseum?
Gig'em
PacifistAg
AG
FTAggies said:

Heard a sermon about NOT being someone who rolls over and takes it, abuse, punishment, etc.; essentially don't turn the other cheek, apparently the opposite of what Jesus said. My question is this, should we just lay down and die in the modern day coliseum?
Well, I think the question needs clarification before it can be sufficiently answered. What do you mean by "roll over and take it", or "lay down and die"? Do I believe we should always respond nonviolently? Absolutely. Pacifism, though, isn't just "laying down and dying". It's not "doing nothing". I would say that when we are attacked, whether verbally or physically, we should respond in a spirit of love, not self-preservation. My response shouldn't be one of "doing nothing", but one that reflects patience, kindness, gentleness, etc. To love in the face of attack is far from "laying down and dying".

Mind letting us know who was the preacher delivering the sermon? Can you provide some clarity on the question? Christ's command to turn the other cheek, or His many other teachings on nonviolence, is far from passive, so I think it will be necessary to be on the same page w/ regards to these terms/expressions before continuing. But, in short, I do believe the way of Christ is to respond in love, even towards enemies seeking to harm you. That love is active, not passive.
Ags4DaWin
There is alot of misconception about Jesus' stance on violence. and alot to unpack here but I will try as best as i can to share what I have learned and pieced together over the years.

The word meek in the beatitudes does not mean the same today as it meant during the new testament. The word for meek comes from a greek word which was derived from the Roman practice of taming wild horses that lived in mountainous regions to become war horses. These were very large and powerful horses that could do alot of damage in battle. But after they were broken they listened to their masters and were very tame. They were also obedient to their trainers and some of the best horses you could find. So the word meek actually is a reference to an individual who had initially been wild, been found by a master or teacher and trained in the proper manner and was capable of great acts of strength and violence but only when directed by his master. Loosely translated it means controlled strength.

In reference to Jesus' passages about agreeing with ur enemy and turning the other cheek: to properly understand these passages u mist first understand many of the cultural practices of the time as well as the context in which the parables were given and the behavior of the jews jesus was trying to correct.

Many of the things Jesus references in the sermon on the mount is a correction of pathological behaviors the Jews had ingrained into their culture. In fact in verse 17 he tells them this straight up: I am not here to abolish the law but to fulfill it. basically...the law of moses is still valid, but what it has become requires clarification and correction as well as a deeper understanding which you do not have. That is his preface for alot of these corrections for what Jewish law currently said.... and then he starts getting into the law. alot of his corrections begin with "the law says this but I say....or you have heard it said (by your rabbis or by ur tradition) but i say....."
25 and 26
Settle matters quickly with your adversary who is taking you to court. Do it while you are still together on the way, or your adversary may hand you over to the judge, and the judge may hand you over to the officer, and you may be thrown into prison.
26 Truly I tell you, you will not get out until you have paid the last penny.

He is telling a story here- If you and another have an argument and u are at fault seek to settle the matter quickly. own your part in it because if you either out of pride or spite or whatever prolong things or try to weasel your way out, it will breed resentment in the person you have offended or the person suing you and they will try to get everything out of you they can. furthermore it will look bad in front of the court and not only will the person suing you try to get everything they can out of you the court will deal harshly with you and you will not get any mercy. The connotation here is that u are being sued for something u did wrong. So if u did something wrong, admit it and make it right as quickly as u can so that you will receive mercy from both the person u wronged as well as the court of justice. Speaking from a christian perspective: when you wrong someone seek out forgiveness as soon as you can because you have no idea when you may die and have to answer for the wrong you committed.

38-39 and this is a tricky one: "You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and a tooth for a tooth 39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also.

There is unwritten connotation here that Jews of the day would understand but is lost to most people. The King James uses the word smite instead of slap. personally i like smite better because it makes the connotation clear. Smiting is done by people of higher stature. smiting is generally used as a word when powerful people put lesser people in their place. The connotation here is that if a powerful individual seeks to do evil to you, it is best not to initially fight back because that will get you into trouble. Striking a social better back then even in a justified situation could get you killed. This is further supported by a tiny detail that usually gets lost to us. The fact that the right cheek is being struck is important because when a social better would smite someone of lower rank they would use their left hand, (the hand they wipe their ass with or dirty hand) which would strike the other person on the right cheek. This way the social better was putting the person lower in social standing in their place, effectively telling them they had no recourse and insulting them at the same time. Jesus tells the person lower in rank to turn the left cheek to them.

This action puts the person higher up in social rank in a precarious position. 1) It demonstrates humility by the person of lower social rank, showing the person higher in social rank the person they recognize their social positions.
2) If the person of higher social rank allows their anger to get the better of them and strikes the person of lower social rank with their right hand it changes the context of the strike. A strike with the right hand is something done when issuing a formal challenge to someone of similar social rank. so for someone of high rank to do this to someone of lower rank reduces the social untouchabikity of the person wishing to subjugate the person of the lower social rank and puts them on even footing and allows the person of lower social rank a wider variety of responses down the road up to potentially answering the percieved challenge with one of their own.

So here Jesus is not saying "let someone who wants to hurt u hit u multiple times because defending urself is bad"
He is actually saying if someone in power wants to use their power in an evil way against you don't be dumb and strike back right away. force them to abandon their position of social power so they have less leverage against you before seeking out justice. These verses are for people who are victims of powerful people trying to abuse the law of an eye for an eye.

the next verses are for people who have transgressed and owe someone an eye:
40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. 41 If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles.

If you have wronged someone and they take u to court do not do the bare minimum to make it right, do more than the law requires to make the person you transgressed against whole. do not just give them ur shirt, give them ur coat.

The romans had a law in all their provinces that if their troops needed a guide they could conscript a local to guide them. the caveat was that they could not conscript a local to go more than a mile. locals amd especially the jews hated this law. so jesus is expanding on the earlier verse saying that even if it is a law u hate, do more than is required by the law so that you will be beyond reproach. so the message here is don't do just what the law requires do more...which was an overarching message jesus was trying to tell the jews of the time who had little rules for everything but would just do and only do what the law said and no more or less.

going back to the violence thing, IMHO jesus was not weak and did not let people walk all over him nor did he ever ask us to. if the connotation of these passages were better understood then many people would get that these passages were just corrections for pathological behavior the jews had fallen into under strict adherence to the law of moses. and if you think about it, when jesus was confronted with people behaving incorrectly he never let them walk all over him.

when confronted with the temple being profaned with money changers and merchants he picked up a whip and drove them out with righteous anger.

if we were to follow jesus' true example we would not be afraid of strength and violence but reserve it for times and places when it is justified and necessary.

christ's message was never to be spineless.
bmks270
AG
Was Jesus a doormat when he went and turned over tables in the temple?
Zobel
AG
Look, praos is not about horses. I don't know where people get this stuff but a google search shows the internet is lousy with it. Praos is a word that the Greeks used to describe a virtue of being able to control your emotions, particularly anger, and also means gentle, kind, patient, etc. It's the ideal between being angry all the time, and not being able to get angry at all. It's being able to control your anger with reason. It's not being so proud that you get overcome with anger when you're insulted or wronged. It's controlling your response, so that your chosen reaction is a good outcome - rather than simply reacting. It is also associated with being imperturbable, steady. It's the opposite of savagery or violence.

It isn't about controlling power but about controlling passions.

Just because the Greeks used it this way doesn't mean we need to take the plain faced reading as the concept the authors of Scripture are trying to convey, but this is pretty darn consistent with how it is used over and over in the NT. It's most often used as "gentle".

Other than the Beatitudes we find in Scripture with Christ calling Himself meek and humble.

In Ephesians 4:2 St Paul urges them to live with all humility and meekness, with patience, bearing one another in love. Colossians 3:2 lists it with compassion, kindness, humility, and patience. 1 Corinthians 4:21 makes a clear contrast with violence: "What do you desire? Should I come to you with a rod, or in love and a spirit of meekness?" Similarly in Titus 3:2 we see that we should be "peaceable (amachous) and gentle (epieikeis), showing meekness (prauteta) to all men."

When someone is caught in a sin, they should be restored in a spirit of meekness - Galatians 6:1. 2 Timothy 2:25 talks about meek or gentle discipline.

St James speaks of the meekness of wisdom - "Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show it by his good conduct, by deeds done in the meekness that comes from wisdom."

In this case then I don't think we need to modify the basic pre-Christian use of the word to understand the point here. It's about being gentle, steady, kind...loving, not quick to anger, as St Paul says.
Zobel
AG

Quote:

There is unwritten connotation here that Jews of the day would understand but is lost to most people. The King James uses the word smite instead of slap. personally i like smite better because it makes the connotation clear. Smiting is done by people of higher stature. smiting is generally used as a word when powerful people put lesser people in their place. The connotation here is that if a powerful individual seeks to do evil to you, it is best not to initially fight back because that will get you into trouble. Striking a social better back then even in a justified situation could get you killed. This is further supported by a tiny detail that usually gets lost to us. The fact that the right cheek is being struck is important because when a social better would smite someone of lower rank they would use their left hand, (the hand they wipe their ass with or dirty hand) which would strike the other person on the right cheek. This way the social better was putting the person lower in social standing in their place, effectively telling them they had no recourse and insulting them at the same time. Jesus tells the person lower in rank to turn the left cheek to them.

This action puts the person higher up in social rank in a precarious position. 1) It demonstrates humility by the person of lower social rank, showing the person higher in social rank the person they recognize their social positions.
2) If the person of higher social rank allows their anger to get the better of them and strikes the person of lower social rank with their right hand it changes the context of the strike. A strike with the right hand is something done when issuing a formal challenge to someone of similar social rank. so for someone of high rank to do this to someone of lower rank reduces the social untouchabikity of the person wishing to subjugate the person of the lower social rank and puts them on even footing and allows the person of lower social rank a wider variety of responses down the road up to potentially answering the percieved challenge with one of their own.

So here Jesus is not saying "let someone who wants to hurt u hit u multiple times because defending urself is bad" He is actually saying if someone in power wants to use their power in an evil way against you don't be dumb and strike back right away. force them to abandon their position of social power so they have less leverage against you before seeking out justice. These verses are for people who are victims of powerful people trying to abuse the law of an eye for an eye.
This is more bad translating. No, no. There's no significance to the word smite vs slap. In Matthew the word rhapizo is used, which is specifically a strike from the palm of the hand. However, in St Luke's gospel the word tupto is used, which means to strike, or beat, to thump or cudgel, especially with a stick, especially with repeated blows, and no mention of left or right is made.

There's no specific stature indicated here. There's no passive-aggressive message. Now, you're right - a blow to the cheek is an insult. But this has to be read in context of the sayings of Jesus. Christ says, don't be angry with your brother without cause, don't call him a fool or be in danger of hellfire. Here, it's even a stronger - when you are struck, and not only struck but struck insultingly, restrain yourself. Again, praos is a hugely strong concept here, isn't it? Restrain yourself, and in gentleness offer the other cheek. Not as a prideful, insolent, social-stature power move, but as a gentle and meek rebuke of the act of violence.

It will restrain the enemy, yes - it will shame them. But the instruction here is that not only are we not to be angry when we're wronged, even hit, even hit and insulted by the hit - but instead invite a second, not proudly but gently to allow the other person to play out their anger, in love, to inspire repentance.

Chris Jesus is saying, what use is pride? Let Him strike you - you will be meek, like Me. What use is vengeance? Offer your other cheek, so that they may learn from your meekness and be saved, like you will learn from Me. This isn't life-hacks, it's Christ explaining and revealing Who God Is - and He does so in word, and deed. This very thing!

Quote:

going back to the violence thing, IMHO jesus was not weak and did not let people walk all over him nor did he ever ask us to. if the connotation of these passages were better understood then many people would get that these passages were just corrections for pathological behavior the jews had fallen into under strict adherence to the law of moses. and if you think about it, when jesus was confronted with people behaving incorrectly he never let them walk all over him.
What gospel are you reading, friend? He never let them walk all over Him? He died the most shameful, horrible death. Naked, alone, beaten, mocked, scourged, spit on. Fully one third of the totality of the gospel accounts focus on the Passion of the Lord where He absolutely lets people walk all over Him, and forgives them as they do it.
Zobel
AG
FTAggies said:

I don't know what this means exactly.

Christians are not called to be doormats, and we should not simply let people abuse us in a general sense. We certainly shouldn't seek out abuse. Suffering isn't salvific in and of itself.

I think when people deal with this kind of question there's always the temptation of looking at Christ with the wisdom of the world. A post above does that in a way - as if to say: "He couldn't possibly have meant what He said, so let's find a clever, hidden, deeper meaning that makes it make sense to our worldly sensibilities. Look, this isn't about offering your cheek truly, it isn't about humility, it's about putting the person in their place!"

Nobody, and I mean nobody wanted the Christ to look like He did. St Peter said no, this will never happen to you and Christ rebukes him. They asked Him - if you're truly the Christ, come down from the cross. The Jews wanted a sign, do something to show your power. But the power of Christ, the power of God, is truly folly to the world. As St Paul says
Quote:

For the message of the cross is foolishness to those indeed perishing, but to us being saved it is the power of God. For it has been written: I will destroy the wisdom of the wise; and the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate." Where is the wise man? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? For since in the wisdom of God, the world through its wisdom did not know God, God was pleased through the foolishness of the proclamation to save those believing.

Forasmuch as both Jews ask for signs, and Greeks seek wisdom, we, however, preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block indeed to the Jewish and foolishness to Gentiles, but those called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. For the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God stronger than men
It is always tempting to take the foolish, weak God and refashion Him into something we want, something that meets our needs. We don't want to die, we don't want to be weak. We don't want to be humbled. We don't want to suffer, be mocked. We don't want the bad people to be forgiven, we want justice our way. We want the bad to be punished, and the good (which is always us, of course) to be rewarded.

But the beauty here is that this is the ultimate power of God. This is the paradox, the ultimate power and strength, the ultimate mighty salvific act of God is one of utter foolishness to the wisdom of the world. He dies. He comes, and He dies. But in this death He destroys death. In His weakness, He conquers. And He saves everyone, every single person. This is the reality, I think, of the divine name - the I am, I will be who I will be, I exist, I do what I do, I act how I act. He's not our God. Like CS Lewis' characters say of Aslan, "He's not a tame lion."

Maybe the greatest temptation that faces all Christians is the one being discussed in this very thread: to take the mighty, powerful, loving, wonderful God that was shown to us - made known to us by the very Word and Power of God becoming a man - and turn Him into an idol of our own imaginings because He doesn't look like the god we want. This has to be absolutely fought at every turn. Instead - "we have the mind of Christ."
dermdoc
AG
Amen.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
gordo97
AG
Amen
PacifistAg
AG
k2,

As usual, great posts!
PacifistAg
AG

Quote:

What gospel are you reading, friend? He never let them walk all over Him? He died the most shameful, horrible death. Naked, alone, beaten, mocked, scourged, spit on. Fully one third of the totality of the gospel accounts focus on the Passion of the Lord where He absolutely lets people walk all over Him, and forgives them as they do it.
It immediately reminded me of 1 Peter 2:21-23:

21 For you have been called for this purpose, since Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example for you to follow in His steps, 22 who committed no sin, nor was any deceit found in His mouth; 23 and while being reviled, He did not revile in return; while suffering, He uttered no threats, but kept entrusting Himself to Him who judges righteously

He left an example for us to follow...when reviled, don't revile in return. When suffering at the hands of another, don't even utter threats.
dermdoc
AG
PacifistAg said:

Quote:

It immediately reminded me of 1 Peter 2:21-23:

21 For you have been called for this purpose, since Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example for you to follow in His steps, 22 who committed no sin, nor was any deceit found in His mouth; 23 and while being reviled, He did not revile in return; while suffering, He uttered no threats, but kept entrusting Himself to Him who judges righteously

He left an example for us to follow...when reviled, don't revile in return. When suffering at the hands of another, don't even utter threats.
You know, it is weird, but as a younger Christian and person I always tried to fight back. Now I just smile, say God bless you, and let God handle it. God does a much better job than I ever did. And when I think of all the time I wasted being angry, I was the loser.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
diehard03
Quote:

There's no specific stature indicated here. There's no passive-aggressive message. Now, you're right - a blow to the cheek is an insult. But this has to be read in context of the sayings of Jesus. Christ says, don't be angry with your brother without cause, don't call him a fool or be in danger of hellfire. Here, it's even a stronger - when you are struck, and not only struck but struck insultingly, restrain yourself. Again, praos is a hugely strong concept here, isn't it? Restrain yourself, and in gentleness offer the other cheek. Not as a prideful, insolent, social-stature power move, but as a gentle and meek rebuke of the act of violence.

I like this. There still remains a confrontation when turning the cheek.
swimmerbabe11
The Christian version of karma
Quote:

10 This day you have seen with your own eyes how the Lord delivered you into my hands in the cave. Some urged me to kill you, but I spared you; I said, 'I will not lay my hand on my lord, because he is the Lord's anointed.' 11 See, my father, look at this piece of your robe in my hand! I cut off the corner of your robe but did not kill you. See that there is nothing in my hand to indicate that I am guilty of wrongdoing or rebellion. I have not wronged you, but you are hunting me down to take my life. 12 May the Lord judge between you and me. And may the Lord avenge the wrongs you have done to me, but my hand will not touch you. 13 As the old saying goes, 'From evildoers come evil deeds,' so my hand will not touch you.

I'll never hurt you, but may God avenge me.

IMO, that is way more terrifying than someone threatening to boil my bunnies.
swimmerbabe11
Also, I think this (1 Samuel 24) is a great old testament example of what we are discussing.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Hard to beat K2's take on the subject, but I'm going to take the opportunity to grind my axe against Rapture Theology again. To me, Rapture Theology is just an outgrowing of the idea that God still wants violent justice. Yes, Jesus was meek for a time, but he will return later and dispense the violent justice that we all crave. Like his earthly life and the interval until the Rapture is just a pause in the cycle of grand cosmic violent justice. In that scenario, Christ's life, work, and sacrifice is incomplete. It is missing the final act of violent justice. In this scenario, Christ's sacrifice becomes the equivalent of a clear plastic shield at a Gallagher show. Accept Christ and get a front row view of the carnage without getting any of it on you.

Sorry for the tangent, but I think both the OP and Rapture theology are both rooted in the idea that Christ's humble self-sacrifice and suffering, and our imitation of it, is just not good enough.
Zobel
AG
Also I was thinking about this today. There's a big difference between judging as condemnation and judging as discernment or even vindication. We should never condemn anyone as Christians. But we are salt and light, and discerning good from evil is certainly our obligation.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.