Supernatural experiences

7,641 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by one MEEN Ag
Thaddeus73
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Most people are reluctant, I think, to talk about an experience they had that they can't explain. So I'll start.

Once, after confession, I was saying my penance in a mostly empty church, when all of a sudden, out of the blue, I smelled roses, a lot of roses. After a second or 2, it went away. Nobody else was sitting anywhere close to me.

Anybody else have some supernatural experiences?
Martin Q. Blank
By grace I have been saved through faith. And not my own doing. It is the gift of God.
dermdoc
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

By grace I have been saved through faith. And not my own doing. It is the gift of God.
And that is the best supernatural gift of all.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
UTExan
Yes. See the link below.
http://peoplegetready.org/holy-spirit/manifestations-spirit-scripture/
Texaggie7nine
I've experienced a "ghost turd" once or twice in my life.
7nine
tehmackdaddy
AG
For most of my life I thought supernatural experiences were hogwash. I wasn't a jerk about it, just extremely skeptical and thought people were probably confusing their senses and had minds that made things up in a way (like children do).

Then I had two experiences of my own. One where I saw something (which was confirmed by my wife) and a second I was by myself and I just felt it.
dermdoc
AG
I have had God talk to me several times. It is the most comforting thing that has ever happened to me.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PabloSerna
AG
Marfa lights... seen 'em... can't explain 'em.
AgTDub
AG
I had a dream one night where I was sitting around a big dining table with all of my cousins and my grandmother who had passed about 20 years prior. My grandmother looked right at me and said, "it's going to be alright."

The next day I got a call from my mom that one of my cousins was in heart failure at 25 years old and would need a heart transplant.

She waited on the transplant list for what seemed like forever and the doctors were about to take a Chance with a risky procedure (don't remember what) because she was fading fast. At the last second a donor heart was found and she's doing great 6 years later.

Does that count?
UTExan
AgTDub said:

I had a dream one night where I was sitting around a big dining table with all of my cousins and my grandmother who had passed about 20 years prior. My grandmother looked right at me and said, "it's going to be alright."

The next day I got a call from my mom that one of my cousins was in heart failure at 25 years old and would need a heart transplant.

She waited on the transplant list for what seemed like forever and the doctors were about to take a Chance with a risky procedure (don't remember what) because she was fading fast. At the last second a donor heart was found and she's doing great 6 years later.

Does that count?

My mom had a dream of her mother who had crippling arthritis of the upper spine. In the dream, her mother was young, smiling, straightened, dressed in a white robe and walking through a beautiful field of flowers. This was assurance and peace for my mom who passed a year later.
BusterAg
AG
1) My wife and I had a prophetic dream. I was in the business of predicting the outcome of court cases at the time, and trying to predict when a certain appeal decision was going to come down. My wife had a dream of the day that it was going to come out (next Thursday, before the swim meet). The same night, I had a dream where I was helping my wife with a school field trip, and one of the kids on the field trip revealed himself to me as an angel, full blinding white clothes type stuff. We put those two things together at breakfast the next morning. The appeal came out the following Thursday. I told the dream to my partner, who didn't want to act on it, and two other friends. All were amazed.

2) When I was in 8th grade, I burned my father's kitchen pretty badly one summer afternoon during summer break. I thought I had taken grease off of the stove, but I must have done something wrong, because when I came back into the kitchen, 6 foot tall flames. Scared to death, and thought our whole house would burn down. Put it out with a fire extinguisher. 10 seconds after it was out, my dad calls the land line (no cell phones in the early 1990's):

Dad: "Is everything all right?"

Me: "Yes, I got it put out. How did you know about it?

Dad: "Know about what, I just got a bad feeling in my stomach, and gave you a call"

Me: "Oh, I burned down your kitchen, but the fire is out now"

"WHAT!!!"

Dad had never called home during the middle of the day on a work day. Somehow he felt my fear from clear across town.

A couple of others, but these are the two that shook me the most.
BrazosDog02
AG
Man I'm jealous of this. As a scientist by trade I have never in 40 years experienced anything I couldn't explain or dismiss....and there are times I could really use something like this to get me from half ass believer to believer. Whatever you're doing, keep it up.

Las thing was an ABS light on my truck that I dismissed and opted to fix after work. Rained that morning on the way to work and sure enough a car in front stopped and I locked up the ass end of my truck, not sure how long everything lasted but after trying not to hit a guard rail I ended up spinning around across three lanes of rush hour traffic. From one edge of the free way to the other I went ahead and made my peace with how it was going to end up considering the two 18 wheelers and all the idiots on their phones. Thought of the kids and wife....

And then...nothing. I was facing the wrong way and everyone stopped....18 wheelers and all...plenty of room...didn't touch a thing. Truck was fine aside from some rubber rash on the paint from the hov Baird rails. Buffed right out.

Figured it was my lucky day but I did get my prayer on because I never know.
dermdoc
AG
It was your blessed day. God loves you.
spud1910
AG
Not sure if they are supernatural, but I have experienced some things that seemed like too much for just coincidence.

While I was a student, I woke up about 2AM one morning. Wide awake. Didn't need a drink or bathroom and no reason I could tell to wake up. Went back to sleep. At 6AM my parents called to tell me that my grandfather, who I was very close to, had died. At the time I was woken.

Another time, I was driving back to CS from my hometown. Not much radio reception in the area I was in, so I started praying. It became one of the most intensely spiritual experiences I have ever had. I truly would not have been surprised to have looked over and seen Christ in the passenger's seat. Any moment, I expected to hear Him speaking audibly.

On a lighter note, a couple of years ago, I again woke in the middle of the night with a general feeling of uneasiness. Wife was ok. I resisted the temptation to call my daughter (at A&M at the time) to make sure she was ok. But I prayed. The next morning, the feeling was still there so I talked to my wife to be sure there wasn't something bothering her. Nope. But later that morning, we found that her favorite cow had jumped a fence during the night.
Kothmann5
AG
My wife has had supernatural experiences many times over the last 8 years. It started when she was trying to come up with a song to teach her Sunday School class the 23 Psalm. She was laying in bed one night and was mediating on the words to the 23 Psalm, and suddenly, she was in the kingdom realm having fellowship with the Lord Jesus. She was totally blown away by it. Over the last 8 years she continues to lay in bed at night and meditate on scripture and has had many many additional encounters with the Lord Jesus. He has told her numerous things that have come to pass.
Hyacinth
When I was 11 or 12, I was at the nursing home my dad worked at after school. An ambulance drove by, which wasn't unusual, but I had this terrible feeling something was wrong. Maybe 10 minutes later my dad received a phone call from our neighbor saying the ambulance was for my mother after she had attempted suicide.

The other was more recent. I got a call from my boss one afternoon saying sales were down and we were going to close our doors if August didn't turn around. My wife and I had our first child on the way and my job was half our income. After work that night I stayed late and prayed for the first time in years. Told God I was ready for whatever was next in my life, and asked him to show me what he wanted me to do. I told my wife all of this when I got home (I was more than an hour late) and we went to bed. The next morning I woke to a text message from a friend in Austin asking me if I had any openings for clients because he had a Catholic priest that was a former client that had just moved to town and was in need of a personal trainer.

Second one you can call a coincidence or a God incidence. After a two year discernment it led to my wife and I joining the Catholic Church.
PA24
AG
While sleeping in my dorm room, I woke up in the middle of the night to hear my door open and foot steps coming toward me. I sensed evil and I was frozen with fear, my eyes wide open. I worn a cross that I hung on the corner of my bed and with all my strength I reached for the cross.
As soon as I touched the cross, I was released of the fear and whatever was there was gone.

I concluded it was a dream or possibly the effects of too much drink and Mexican food.

schmendeler
AG
I found a $100 dollar bill on the ground in a vegas hotel once.
Win At Life
AG
We grew up as Baptists, so I heard all the typical stories one hears in Sunday school and sermons. From this, I had a basic understanding of the bible and the gospel. Now, I'm one of the most logical and skeptical people I know and I'm trying to fit these stories in with what I see as reality. One thing that bothered me is that there was always some miraculous thing happening in every bible story, but no such things happening anymore as far as I could tell. That didn't seem fair to me. Certainly, it would be easier to "believe" if you've seen big miracles like we see in the bible. Or even a small miracle. Any miracle. He appeared to people all over the bible. He appeared in the upper room. He appeared to the guys walking to Emmaus. This seems to be something He's easily capable of doing, since He's all powerful and such. But no. No such luck. Wouldn't you know it. Great.

Back then I was a latch key kid before they knew what severe psychological damage that could do. Also, in 4th grade I got out of school about 30 minutes before my brother, so for a while I was completely alone in the house. I decided one day to make a bargain with God. I would believe in Him, if He could just show me a sign. Anything. It didn't have to be some huge appearance in the clouds for everyone to see. This was just between me and Him. Being home alone for that time seemed like a good time to do it. So, I decided that the next day all He had to do was to appear in my back yard when I got home. I didn't need a big show, or even to ask Him questions. Just show up. That's all. I asked God for that in as an honest and sincere way as only a 4th grade child could.

The next day, I got busy with school and kind of forgot about it. But once school was out and I was walking toward my house, the gravity of what I'd done had set in. My pace quickened. When I got to the house, I didn't open the front door and go in like I normally do. A carried my books with me around to the far side of the house where the gate to the back yard was. As I reached the gate, I paused briefly to see if I could hear anything in the back yard. Nothing at the moment. But then, I pulled the latch and slowly peaked into the back yard. And standing right in the middle of the back yard was . . . nothing but a big tree we used to climb. No God. No Jesus. No miracle. Nothing.

I pondered this for a long while but didn't completely reject all things about God or the bible. I continued to go to church and hear all the same stories. After some time we moved away, so I'd never get to see the completion of my bargain with God. After the move we continued to attend Sagemont Baptist Church for a while. One summer between my 4th and 5th grade years I attended a Vacation Bible School there. Back then, the main worship area doubled as a basketball court like a high school gym with two sets running across and the stage at the far end. They assembled a good number of us kids in there for a portion of the VBS program.

Like all good Baptists, they had an alter call. All heads bowed and all eyes closed. And even though, I never got the miracle I asked for from God, at this time I was willing to "believe". It was right there in the middle of that gym/sanctuary that I prayed with all my heart for God to wash me of my sins and have Jesus come into my heart. And while they were still leading through the "prayer" I immediately heard what sounded like a rushing wind behind me. I opened my eyes and turned to look over my left shoulder. What I saw at the back of the building can best be described as the "dirty" wind you might see in a tornado funnel. Except that this wind was not funneling in a circle. It was funneling to a small point directly towards me and passed through by back in a circular area about the size of a volleyball.

That's when I turned around and saw that same wind exiting my chest in about the same fashion. Except now the wind was white as snow. It was as if the wind was blowing right through me like a screen door. It funneled back out in front of me in a linear fashion as it had gone into me and billowed up near the front of the sanctuary. At that moment the walls and roof of the sanctuary kind of disappeared from view and the wind billowed up into clouds. But then I realized the clouds weren't really clouds, but millions of angels dressed in white robes. They were so far away that they dissolved into cloud shapes like a Seurat painting.

The angels were repeatedly singing "Hallelu'Yah." But the sound was nothing like I've hear before or since. You can distinguish between a duet and a small choir. And you can tell the difference between a small choir and a large choir. And the difference is not just one of volume, but of tone, timbre, etc. If you could ever assemble a choir of 10 million or more and stand a mile of so away to listen to them, I believe this is what it would sound like. The power of those voices just shakes right through you. The best example I can give is sitting on the front stretch of a NASCAR race re-start. The power of it literally shakes the ground.

In the middle of these clouds a large figure appears to me as one that I can only describe as Jesus. What did He look like? Basically, like most every painting you've seen. It's been a while now and I'm starting to forget some details, if you can believe that. I'm not 100% certain if He had a beard, but I'm thinking not. He didn't speak a word, but just smiled at me. I get choked up every time I think of talking about that smile and write this with tears in my eyes.

And in that instance it was all gone and I was left staring up at the front of the Sagemont Baptist church sanctuary. The ladies were just finishing up the "prayer" so I quickly closed my eyes and bowed my head back down. As they told us all to look up, I wondered who else had seen this. I slowing peaked at the kids on my right and my left, but they were staring blankly up front. It appears nobody else saw it. How was that possible, for something so real, loud and visual to go completely unnoticed by everyone? But it had. The vision was only for me. It was just between Me and God. So, He did appear to me after all. I guess He kept His end of the bargain. But only after I accepted Him. There it was. I had my miracle. A miracle of "biblical" proportions. I suspect it was not too dissimilar to what Stephen describes in Acts 7:55-56.

They asked for all those who had accepted Jesus to come forward and many did, but I was frozen. Frozen, not by what I'd seen, but too embarrassed to stand up in front of people. I was a mildly autistic child and extremely shy. I've worked out of that generally though my adulthood, but that's another story. I must admit, this whole experience kept me on cloud nine for a while. Maybe a week or more. Only a week? Surprisingly yes. Life has a way of wearing you down. I still had tests, homework, chores, fighting with my brother and every monotonous daily thing that can suck the life out of your soul.

However, I must admit that this is something you never completely shake off. I can't help but recall it at various times. I often wonder "why me?" and what was the purpose of this? And did this mean I was intended for something "great" in the kingdom? If I was ever intended for a calling, I might have lost it over they years by my actions and like of faith, much like Moses was not allowed to enter into the Promised Land. And even with such a powerful vision to carry me, there were times I felt like I might walk away from God. Perhaps that's why He gave me the vision. Because He knew the skeptical nature within me would have walked away from this faith if not for such a vision. That may be the answer. He didn't want to lose me. Others, like my wife who have never had any such "miracle" can keep the faith and my with if one of the most ardent believers in God I've ever known. I don't know how people can do that. She sometimes gets frustrated about never having any such "God" experience and I tell hear that is because God knows you don't need it. My faith was weak. That's why I needed it. So, it's not because I'm greater than others, but because I'm weaker.

It's difficult for me to talk about this. I've only spoken of it a few times in my life and I've not even been able to share it with many of my immediately family. I'm not sure exactly why that is. Part of me doesn't want to get lumped together with all those "loonies" who are constantly "talking" to God. Part of me just has a hard time speaking of it without breaking down, so I avoid that. Part of me thinks speaking of it too much is like casting pearls before swine. I know many will not believe. Many times I wish I could just "give" you a similar experience and it frustrates my that I can't. I know the validity of this story rests solely with the credibility of me as a person. I've never had an experience before or since this time, where I've heard and seen things that were not "really" there. But all I can say is, "This is what happened to me."

Shalom
dermdoc
AG
Powerful stuff. Thanks.
Thaddeus73
AG
Great Stuff! Those of us who have had these experiences all feel the same way. Why me?
Redstone
AG
For those who sense a presence (i.e. "with you," not dreams and not angels or fallen angels) please read Mary Ann Winkowski, When Ghosts Speak. (she is Catholic)

IMO, all humans are embodied spirits. "Uncrossed" spirits are ghosts. (Excluding "residual energy," as in a battlefield). "Spirits" have crossed the "white light", faced a judgment (including purgatory), and can "return," mostly via dreams.
UTExan
That is an amazing experience. You were touched by God and apparently granted an extraordinary presence that day as the indelible mark of acceptance. Signs and wonders follow them that believe.
Stasco
AG
Nothing for me that very many would think is hugely significant, but I did experience one small event I believe to be a minor miracle.

A few years back I decided to pray a rosary every day for Lent. Most days I prayed it in the car in the parking garage at work before going in. One morning, I was on the 5th decade meditating on the crucifixion (sorrowful mysteries) when the cabin light in the car came on. I had been sitting completely still for the last 10-15 minutes. This is a relatively new car, but one I was very familiar with. Nothing like that had ever happened before, and hasn't happened since. It stayed on for about 10 seconds, then faded off like it normally does after you get in and shut the door. All this without me making a single move.

I still kind of laugh about how "on the nose" God was being with me. I literally needed a light to come on for me to really get it.
PabloSerna
AG
Well since we are sharing.. even sort of silly 'Is that you God?' experiences.. I did have one as a kid:

I liked Rock growing up. Still do. One of the groups I started to listen to in the early 80's was Iron Maiden. Yes, Iron Maiden. As a 12-13 year old, I was not listening to the lyrics, just yet. "Run to the Hills", "Trooper" were awesome!! Like totally!!

Then there was this one song.. "666" - well, even a 12 year old kid knew who that was about. Musically, it is a great song. Lyrically, I was worried. I had bought the cassette with my allowance money. Popped it in the jam box and cranked it up. Got to the "666" song and then my Catholic school education kicked in.. should I even be listening to this?? So I said a little prayer to Jesus and my patron saint, Archangel Michael. Went something like this - "Lord, if this is not good for me, please let me know, like do something you know make the tape stop or something??" Then I played the song. When it got to the part, "Six, six, six.. the number of the beast, hell and fire -" BAM! The tape clicked into rewind mode so fast I thought it was going to pop. Like someone had hit the rewind and it started playing backwards super fast at the same time.

Needless to say that was the last time I listened to Iron Maiden.

So far so good on Metallica!

+Pablo

Thaddeus73
AG
Last week I was putting up some metal plates with pictures on them which depict the 14 stations of the cross. These big crosses I was nailing them too are outside in a park owned by the Church. I nearly tripped on a tree limb when I got through with one of them. I looked back at what I had just nailed to the cross, and it was "Jesus falls for the first time." Several crosses later I could barely see because of all of the sweat that was getting in my eye (it was 100 degrees and very high humidity), so I wiped the sweat away with my handkerchief. I then noticed that I had just nailed the plate to the tree that said, "Veronica wipes the face of Jesus."

Small stuff, I know, but it did get my attention...
NSTN8
I have had several instances happen to me, so I guess I am lucky. But I will share the best one. Keep in mind, I am not what you would call a liar or a blowhard, and I take alot of pride in being a good honest person. This story is as true as the sky is blue. When I was 15, my sister got lymphoma. I had just gotten home from work and saw all sorts of cars at my house. Dad came out to tell me the bad news before I could get in the house. Of course I started crying and went and locked myself in the bathroom. I sat on the ground and cried some more. We had two globe lights in that bathroom. Not knowing what to say to God, I said what I wanted. I said, "God show me the one true light." I dont know why I said that. I guess I just wanted to know it would be ok. Anyways, at the instant, and I mean millisecond, that i said that, one of the globe lights stopped working. And i was shown the one light. I **** you not.
Serotonin
AG
Thank for sharing all these stories, they are a powerful witness.

I have heard many stories from people in my life but one of the most moving is from one of my uncles whose Dad was in a nursing home a few years ago.

His Dad was an extremely devoted follower of Christ and randomly one week he started packing all his clothes and said he was going home that weekend. The nurses were confused because he was supposed to be there that weekend. Saturday rolls around and he's still there, in a very cheerful mood, room completely squared away and packed up. He's about to go home, he maintains.

Sunday morning the nurses go into his room and discover that he passed away in his sleep the night before. The nurses were astounded and my uncle was completely at peace after hearing that.
bmks270
AG
I'll share a troubling account of hell that a friend shared with me. It seems accounts of hell are more rare.

My friend, a believer who had once been visited by an angel herself, drove Uber sometimes. She had a passenger one day who was clearly very troubled. My friend started talking to the passenger to find out if she could help this person.

The lady was grief stricken over the recent death of her sister a few weeks prior. However in this case it wasn't simply her sisters death, it was her sisters last words that were troubling her.

The woman was with her sister when her sister suffered a heart attack. They called 911 and EMTs came. Her sister had lost consciousness but briefly regained it before passing away.

In the brief moment her sister regained consciousness she had a look of sheer terror and fear in her eyes and face. She let out a dying breath "It's... it's hell." and then she passed away.

She was upset that her sister passed away and went to hell. It's the only conclusion by the fear and terror she saw on her sisters face and her last words.

My friend said she talked with the lady for a long time and provided counseling for her. My friend was once visited by an angel in the hospital and in this case said she thinks God had them cross paths for a reason, so that she could help the woman with her grief.
Thaddeus73
AG
good story...Steve Jobs, right before he passed away, said something like, "Wow! Oh Wow!"
mesocosm
AG
Thaddeus73 said:

Most people are reluctant, I think, to talk about an experience they had that they can't explain. So I'll start.

Once, after confession, I was saying my penance in a mostly empty church, when all of a sudden, out of the blue, I smelled roses, a lot of roses. After a second or 2, it went away. Nobody else was sitting anywhere close to me.

There are no supernatural experiences. Magic isn't real. There is no easter bunny

It's all brain chemistry
Thaddeus73
AG
Quote:

There are no supernatural experiences. Magic isn't real. There is no easter bunny

It's all brain chemistry
You couldn't be more wrong if you said the sun comes up in the west...
bmks270
AG
mesocosm said:

Thaddeus73 said:

It's all brain chemistry

So, what brain chemistry determines if some one has a hellish experience or a heavenly experience?
Redstone
AG
Why materialists are WRONG

Talk to a hospice nurse or a surgeon. How many patients have died, only to return and detail conversations, and objects on the roof?
A lot.
Book: Opening Heaven's Door

How many groups have tripped on psychedelics, in controlled environments and not, to come down and describe from their subjective experiences an "objective" trip? Same environment, same "creatures," ect?
A lot.
Book: How to Change Your Mind

Materialists:
You are WRONG
Texaggie7nine
bmks270 said:

mesocosm said:

Thaddeus73 said:

It's all brain chemistry

So, what brain chemistry determines if some one has a hellish experience or a heavenly experience?
DMT
7nine
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.