Thoughts...

2,801 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by dds08
dds08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Something I've been wrestling with lately is the concept that the Lord will help us do the right thing and be obedient to him, hit (not miss) the mark.

He'll even give us everything we need to do what He wants us to do. He supplies us with a means to obey Him.

He will never help us do the wrong thing or give us what we need to sin.

UTExan
dds08 said:

Something I've been wrestling with lately is the concept that the Lord will help us do the right thing and be obedient to him, hit (not miss) the mark.

He'll even give us everything we need to do what He wants us to do. He supplies us with a means to obey Him.

Romans 8:28. It doesn't mean things will work out as we wish or hope, but we can have peace in our storms.
mesocosm
AG
dds08 said:

Sounds like nonsense to me
dds08
AG
dds08 said:

Caveat:

While humans have the ability to use their God-given time, money, energy and resources to sin; those things weren't given to us for that purpose.

Edit: The things we receive from Him, rest assured, we can trust are meant for our own well being as well as others well being.
Aggrad08
AG
Poor pharaoh got shafted then
10thYrSr
dds08 said:

Here's the thing, given your phrasing: "help". He will never be a co-conspirator to doing the wrong thing. You are allowed to do it. But, if you choose to do the right thing, God will help to make it so.

If you ask your father to help you build a fence, and you do nothing to build the fence, you haven't asked for help. You have asked your father to build a fence.
kurt vonnegut
AG
dds08 said:

A tough thing to wrestle with. . . . Allow me to console your fears and doubts with the words of Terry Pratchett:

"God moves in extremely mysterious, not to say, circuitous ways. God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of His own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, ie., everybody, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch-dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a Dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time."

Well . . . at least I find it consoling.
MooreTrucker
AG
Username checks out
Sb1540
dds08 said:

Yes this is correct coming when following the God of the Bible. The reason God provides all of this is because he is omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent and your extremely limited knowledge of "reality" is bound to your senses, consciousness, time, and endless interactions with other humans from birth to now. Early church fathers understood God in this manner but it has been lost. When you asked the original question, it's loaded with all kinds of expectations. Many of those expectations are bound to our society and not God. If you recognize idols in your life and follow God in the manner he directs then rest assured that it will be ok in the end. Idols is a whole other subject though and it destroys people and nations so there's a lot to learn. Honestly this is what you should focus on since we are moving into a whole other realm of idols due to our advancements in technology and A.I.

Remember trusting in God doesn't mean suffering and grief won't be there. Read Job and Ecclesiastes for more on this.
dds08
AG
The righteous lifestyle that the Lord would have us to live is not impossible for us.

This video from Crash Course helps further the point I'm trying to make.

Quote:

1:59

If you ought, or should, do something morally, then you first must be able to do it.
Quote:

2:02

"You're only morally required to do things that are possible for you."

dds08
AG
During times when one is faced with seemingly irresistible temptations, one cannot make the excuse that they are ill-equipped to resist said temptations.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.