Science- Virtual Cooling Using Quantum Mechanics

1,491 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Repeat the Line
ramblin_ag02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://phys.org/news/2019-08-quantum-virtually-cooled-actual-temperature.html

This seems really cool, but I'm too dumb to understand it. Can any of our resident physics or chem people put it into something more venacular? I get that they used a system to virtually cool something, and that virtually cooling something makes it behave as it would at lower temperatures. I just can't understand how they did it
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Post removed:
by user
swimmerbabe11
The only quantum things I understand is Quantum Leap.
Win At Life
AG
This is not the R&P&S board.

Quantum mechanics is the DEVIL!
jkag89
swimmerbabe11 said:

Ah, a true nerd. I would love to see a reboot of the show.
jkag89
Win At Life said:

Yes, yes it is.

Well it is to those of us who can not really understand it beyond a basic level.
Ulrich
Quantum mechanical virtual cooling to me is just like a story I know called "the puppy who lost his way."
amercer
AG
ramblin_ag02
AG
jkag89 said:

Win At Life said:

Yes, yes it is.

Well it is to those of us who can not really understand it beyond a basic level.
Same here. I'm nowhere near mathematically advanced enough to follow the equations, but usually I can at least get some conceptual grasp. Even if it is counterintuitive. But this article doesn't make sense at all to me. I can usually make heads or tails of things that end up in my science news feeds, but this one just makes me feel dumb. Several hours of research latter learning about quantum temperature, thermalization, and Bose Hubbard optical lattices, and I still feel just as stupid reading the article.

The best I can figure is they take a couple of separate identical but static semi-quantum systems, allowed tunnelling, then separated and made them static again and went looking for areas of lower temperature that resulted from the random hopping around of atoms.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
swimmerbabe11
jkag89 said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

Ah, a true nerd. I would love to see a reboot of the show.

Oooh me too

I'm watching Star Trek Enterprise right now and I think Scott Bakula just seems genuinely likeable
Repeat the Line
I would propose you ask this question on Forum 16. The general populace is certainly better educated than the pseudo-scientists that paste wiki links here.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.