A study on academic philosophy and political discrimination

1,055 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Frok
fat girlfriend
How long do you want to ignore this user?
http://dailynous.com/2019/07/29/political-hostility-willingness-discriminate-philosophy/?fbclid=IwAR2Fk_OQg9IyNmp_rZ0TMVOtlnWiW8BMwPXz3boGnbJDWCpIqzac1MgL0WM

"But overall, WTD [willingness to discriminate] against right-leaning perspective/individuals was significantly greater than WTD against left-leaning perspective/individuals... However, "there was a significant association between ideology and justification of discrimination against right-leaning individuals in the field The more left-leaning the participant, the more justified they believed discrimination against right-leaning individuals to be. But there was no significant association between ideology and justification of discrimination against left-leaning individuals."

Not surprising, but it helps to confirm what we already know - Academia has a problem with political diversity and punishes those who are on the right.
Frok
AG
We've eliminated diversity in the pursuit of diversity.
ramblin_ag02
AG
You'd probably get a lot more kudos and attaboys if you posted this one forum down. I don't contest the findings, but I don't think it inherently has anything to do with any specific ideology.

The key stat is right at the beginning. 74% left leaning and the remainder split evenly between moderates and right leaners. Anytime a group has a substantial majority they start discriminating if not outright persecuting other groups. We've seen this throughout history with every religious, political, and military group. So it's not surprise to see this in a field as dominated by one ideology as this one.

OTOH, minorities are typically not discriminating against majorities. They just don't have the power to do so, and they know the recriminations will be substantial. Therefore most minorities tend to go along to get along. However, that situation can change quickly when the minority becomes the majority, either at large, in a specific field, or a specific geography. To use a religious example, Muslims are large in the US are peaceful and tolerant as they are a minority. However, in communities where Muslims dominate they are much more discriminating against others. That's only an example, and it really applies to any group you can name.

TLDR: This seems to be a universal social phenomenon of majorities/minorities more than anything related to a specific ideology
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PacifistAg
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

You'd probably get a lot more kudos and attaboys if you posted this one forum down. I don't contest the findings, but I don't think it inherently has anything to do with any specific ideology.

The key stat is right at the beginning. 74% left leaning and the remainder split evenly between moderates and right leaners. Anytime a group has a substantial majority they start discriminating if not outright persecuting other groups. We've seen this throughout history with every religious, political, and military group. So it's not surprise to see this in a field as dominated by one ideology as this one.

OTOH, minorities are typically not discriminating against majorities. They just don't have the power to do so, and they know the recriminations will be substantial. Therefore most minorities tend to go along to get along. However, that situation can change quickly when the minority becomes the majority, either at large, in a specific field, or a specific geography. To use a religious example, Muslims are large in the US are peaceful and tolerant as they are a minority. However, in communities where Muslims dominate they are much more discriminating against others. That's only an example, and it really applies to any group you can name.

TLDR: This seems to be a universal social phenomenon of majorities/minorities more than anything related to a specific ideology
Frok
AG
Quote:

Maybe so but your response seems to be more of a deflection. Universities are supposed to be a place where ideas are openly discussed and challenged. They were the places set apart to NOT be like what you are describing.

PacifistAg
AG
Frok said:

Quote:

Maybe so but your response seems to be more of a deflection. Universities are supposed to be a place where ideas are openly discussed and challenged. They were the places set apart to NOT be like what you are describing.
True. I share this because it was sent to me by my brother yesterday re: this very problem at Liberty University.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2019/07/24/inside-liberty-universitys-culture-fear-how-jerry-falwell-jr-silences-students-professors-who-reject-his-pro-trump-politics/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.214e1b3a77df
Frok
AG
Ain't got time to read that but it wouldn't surprise me if Falwell is the opposite side of the same coin of many progressive universities.

PacifistAg
AG
Frok said:

Ain't got time to read that but it wouldn't surprise me if Falwell is the opposite side of the same coin of many progressive universities.

Yeah. Same coin, different side.
Texaggie7nine
I think there is a strong correlation between those with dispositions to teach for a fraction of the $ they could make in the business world and those that have the personality types that would favor left leaning ideals.

Teaching itself is a nurturing type activity which goes along with a more left leaning type personality.

I don't see any way for this to resolve itself from within. Only through market forces such as parents unwilling to send their kids to more radical institutions could I see some change, but I don't see that happening any time soon.
7nine
ramblin_ag02
AG
Frok said:

Quote:

Not so much a deflection as just basic human nature. There is no immune ideology. To me the examples of Christianity and Buddhism discriminating and persecuting mean no ideology is immune. Christianity is supposed to be about love, hope, charity, mercy, and grace. And yet we know for a fact Christians and Christian institutions have been discriminatory. Buddhism teaches that to desire anything or becoming attached to anything only causes suffering. But we have ample historical evidence that Buddhists have themselves caused plenty of suffering. If those two major religions have this trouble despite being fundamentally incompatible with discrimination and persecution, then why should anyone expect a relatively crass political ideology to fare better?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Frok
AG
Quote:

then why should anyone expect a relatively crass political ideology to fare better?

Because people have the ability to be objective. Just because we often do not doesn't mean we shouldn't call it institutions for not being objective when they claim to be.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.