Since there's no science board: Near miss

1,528 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by DVC2010
PacifistAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The video is insane. I read an article that said it was a "city-killer" that was slightly larger than the one that hit Siberia 110 years ago.

schmendeler
AG
I wish there was a bit more info. It's hard to tell from the graphic but it looks like it passed within the orbit of the Moon? If so, that is way too close for comfort!
PacifistAg
AG
Here's an article on it: http://www.astronomy.com/news/2019/07/a-large-asteroid-just-zipped-between-earth-and-the-moon
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG

Jokes on you guys. Never happened. Those models and figures are just part of the Zionist Jesuit papal neo con conspiracy. All part of the great scam to make you believe.... lol literally science is hitler.

All jokes aside, what a crazy event. The magnitude of that event happening is quite disconcerting, however, I wonder how often in mans history it has happened and we were none the wiser
swimmerbabe11
Soooo like...what do we do? Are there any contingency plans besides sending a bunch of oilfield trash into space?
Texaggie7nine
They have a few different plans for moving asteroids such as putting boosters on them to push them, or blowing up nukes on them, but the key factor is knowing about them long before impact, like years and years before.
7nine
swimmerbabe11
Why does putting jetpacks on an asteroid sound just as silly to me as sending a crew of adorable but rough around the edges oilmen to space to drill a hole into the asteroid?

Side note: when that movie came out, there wasn't a girl on earth who didn't want to be Liv Tyler in the animal cracker scene
Texaggie7nine
I'm leaving... on a jet plane.....

The pushing of an asteroid does make sense when you think about it. If you can alter it's trajectory just a few milometers when it is millions of miles away, it would be tens of thousands of miles off course from earth when it arrives.
7nine
Aggrad08
AG
Evacuation is also an option for smaller ones like this one that would "only" take out a large city.
DVC2010
AG
Aggrad08 said:

Evacuation is also an option for smaller ones like this one that would "only" take out a large city.

Is "destroyed by asteroid" covered by most homeowner's insurance, or do I need to call my agent?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.