In God We Trust Law

6,889 Views | 167 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Sapper Redux
kurt vonnegut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/new-law-requires-sd-public-schools-to-display-in-god-we-trust-on-walls/ar-AAEUny7?ocid=spartanntp

Whats the over/under on how many seconds it took after the bill was signed for the first lawsuit to be filed?
Frok
AG
The signing, stenciling, or protesting is just not worth it. This whole thing is just a complete waste of time. Good ol' government at work.
Beer Baron
AG
I for one applaud them for being efficient here. The paint and stencils required for this are half what it would cost to put "HEY EVERYONE LOOK HOW GOOD WE ARE AT RELIGION!" on every school.
Quad Dog
AG
Quote:

South Dakota lawmakers who proposed the law told the Associated Press that the requirement was meant to inspire patriotism in the state's public schools.
Ha.
Anyone want to take bets on if the lawmakers also own the company that got the contract to do the painting?
PacifistAg
AG

Quote:

South Dakota lawmakers who proposed the law told the Associated Press that the requirement was meant to inspire patriotism in the state's public schools.
And what on earth does "In God We Trust" have to do with patriotism? Oh, unless the "god" you're referring to is America, which sadly wouldn't surprise me.
Martin Q. Blank
PacifistAg said:

Quote:

And what on earth does "In God We Trust" have to do with patriotism? Oh, unless the "god" you're referring to is America, which sadly wouldn't surprise me.
It's the official motto of the United States.

powerbelly
AG
Many have twisted their own version of Christianity to support their nationalism/politics.
PacifistAg
AG
Indeed.
Frok
AG
Quad Dog said:

Quote:

Ha.
Anyone want to take bets on if the lawmakers also own the company that got the contract to do the painting?

The whole project costs $2800 bucks. Huge contract there
PacifistAg
AG
Frok said:

Quad Dog said:

Quote:

Ha.

That was $2,800 for the Rapid City school district only.

In 2013, there were approximately 700 public schools in the state. There are 23 public schools in Rapid City. At $2,800, that's roughly $121.75 per school. Extend that to all 700 schools, now it's an $85,200 contract. If they want a cost effective way to engage in these hollow gestures, just give a kid a sharpie and have them write the words up on the wall.
Frok
AG
What happens if a school doesn't do it? Or what if they consider the bathroom a prominent area?
schmendeler
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

PacifistAg said:

Quote:

It's the official motto of the United States.

...since 1956. it's no E pluribus Unum. it's another one of those reactionary actions to stomp a foot on the ground like all those civil war statues that were put up in the 1920's or adding 'under god' to the pledge of allegiance.
dermdoc
AG
Or maybe the majority of Americans do trust in God?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Beer Baron
AG
You scoff, but South Dakota hasn't had a single hurricane since they passed this vital piece of legislation.
schmendeler
AG
dermdoc said:

Or maybe the majority of Americans do trust in God?
did they trust in God prior to 1956? the timing is my point.
dermdoc
AG
Right over my head as usual.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
kurt vonnegut
AG
Frok said:

Quad Dog said:

Quote:

Ha.

I don't think any of the lawmakers did it for the money. The law was passed with the expectation that it would be contested and overturned. It was passed so that the lawmakers could say "Look how much I love God." and "Look how much these Liberals hate God and want to oppress us."
Frok
AG
That was my original thought but it looks like some schools already put the slogan up.

dds08
AG
I like the idea, but in a way, it goes too far.

Edit:
I have a bad idea this won't end well.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
So it looks like Texas is instituting a similar law? Or is this being misrepresented in the media?
Duncan Idaho
I'd support this of they did it in Latin
Sapper Redux
Definitely Not A Cop said:

So it looks like Texas is instituting a similar law? Or is this being misrepresented in the media?

Virtue signaling and cancel culture against those who don't believe in God.

The law says schools have to display it in a prominent location if it is donated on a poster or sign, etc. Naturally this means a bunch of right wing groups are trying to push the signs into as many classrooms as they can.
kurt vonnegut
AG
Sapper Redux said:

Definitely Not A Cop said:

Virtue signaling and cancel culture against those who don't believe in God.

The law says schools have to display it in a prominent location if it is donated on a poster or sign, etc. Naturally this means a bunch of right wing groups are trying to push the signs into as many classrooms as they can.

Does the law permit a sign saying "worship satan"? If so, the end of this is all very predictable.
Sapper Redux
Since it's technically the national motto, they can get away with it. Because America is all about justice and fairness, etc, so long as you believe in the proper religion.
kurt vonnegut
AG
Sapper Redux said:

Since it's technically the national motto, they can get away with it. Because America is all about justice and fairness, etc, so long as you believe in the proper religion.

All of the conservatives on this board are strongly against using schools to indoctrinate children into specific social / political / religious ideology. So, I'm comforted to know that they will all be strictly against this law.
barbacoa taco
AG
This really is embarrassing for Texas when you think about all the issues going on in education today. School is starting and we're dealing with a huge teacher shortage and the public school system is still a joke. And yes, people are still reeling from the uvalde shooting.

Abbott and the lawmakers have done nothing to improve the education system or give it the funding it needs. But we sure as hell are going to fight the culture war and virtue signal hard by promoting religion. Also inching closer and closer to Christian nationalism.

Texas is a national embarrassment. Stuff like this is just cringey, and does nothing for anyone other than conservative lawmakers who want something to brag about.
dermdoc
AG
larry culpepper said:

This really is embarrassing for Texas when you think about all the issues going on in education today. School is starting and we're dealing with a huge teacher shortage and the public school system is still a joke. And yes, people are still reeling from the uvalde shooting.

Abbott and the lawmakers have done nothing to improve the education system or give it the funding it needs. But we sure as hell are going to fight the culture war and virtue signal hard by promoting religion. Also inching closer and closer to Christian nationalism.

Texas is a national embarrassment. Stuff like this is just cringey, and does nothing for anyone other than conservative lawmakers who want something to brag about.
Unless God is real and we do trust Him. Always start there first or you are not going to succeed.

Sure we need to make responsible plans and try to give the best education we can. Throwing money at it is not the answer imho.

And looking at the rest of the country, I am proud Texas is an "embarrassment" to them.

Must be doing something right.
Sapper Redux
Except we supposedly live in a country where you don't get to force people who don't trust in your god to have to claim that. I guess not anymore given the current Supreme Court. And given where Texas ranks on education, I'd hold back on some of that pride.
dermdoc
AG
Sapper Redux said:

Except we supposedly live in a country where you don't get to force people who don't trust in your god to have to claim that. I guess not anymore given the current Supreme Court. And given where Texas ranks on education, I'd hold back on some of that pride.
Nope.

God bless the great state of Texas!

And God bless you also my friend.

Shalom.
barbacoa taco
AG
dermdoc said:

larry culpepper said:

Unless God is real and we do trust Him. Always start there first or you are not going to succeed.

Sure we need to make responsible plans and try to give the best education we can. Throwing money at it is not the answer imho.

And looking at the rest of the country, I am proud Texas is an "embarrassment" to them.

Must be doing something right.
Actually, funding education IS the answer. Pay teachers more, give them the supplies they need, fund schools so they have up to date facilities. Stop acting like funding things is communism. It's a good investment in the future. If you're going to say that's "not the answer" then what's your solution?

If you're proud Texas is an embarrassment, then it sounds like your priorities are pissing off liberals, more so than actually doing good for Texas schoolchildren (at least, those who can't afford private school), and investing in future generations.

Your post is just depressing. Depressing so many Texans care more about pissing off liberals and virtue signaling.
barbacoa taco
AG
dermdoc said:

Sapper Redux said:

Nope.

Shalom.
What are you proud of? Texas is a national embarrassment with education. Republicans have consistently underfunded it over 30 years of their rule. There's a massive teacher shortage. The city you are from, Beaumont, is among the worst school districts in the state. Does this not bother you at all?

I contend I care more about Texas than you. You have blind pride and criticize anyone who dares to say Texas can do better. I am demanding better from Texas because I know it doesn't have to be this way. And sorry for thinking "In God we Trust" signs are a stupid waste of money that do no good for anyone.
Macarthur
Yep. You know, there is data out there now that Texans, in some financial categories, pay more in taxes than California. Some of the things Texans believe are a point of pride are either false or incredibly misguided.

Republicans are the party that claims government doesn't work, then get elected and prove it.

- PJ O'Rourke
dermdoc
AG
larry culpepper said:

dermdoc said:

Sapper Redux said:

Nope.

Shalom.
What are you proud of? Texas is a national embarrassment with education. Republicans have consistently underfunded it over 30 years of their rule. There's a massive teacher shortage. The city you are from, Beaumont, is among the worst school districts in the state. Does this not bother you at all?

I contend I care more about Texas than you. You have blind pride and criticize anyone who dares to say Texas can do better. I am demanding better from Texas because I know it doesn't have to be this way. And sorry for thinking "In God we Trust" signs are a stupid waste of money that do no good for anyone.

Where did I criticize anyone?

And you are free to give your opinion just like I am. No need for the personalization, emotional hyperbole, and projection.
Beer Baron
AG

Quote:

Unless God is real and we do trust Him.
It's fine if you think that, but not everyone does. Why the need to be make everyone else pray or have these signs around in public spaces? Does it not count if the sign is just in your yard or on your car? Like, does God only care about this stuff if it's in public areas?
one MEEN Ag
AG
kurt vonnegut said:

Sapper Redux said:

All of the conservatives on this board are strongly against using schools to indoctrinate children into specific social / political / religious ideology. So, I'm comforted to know that they will all be strictly against this law.

I think I fit the bill of those you mock as I am against young school children getting access to age inappropriate content (which happens to mostly be LGBTQ+ sexual/sensual content pushing the boundaries these days). I'm definitely against this bill. Its just dumb all the way through, obviously violates the first amendment and is just election season antagonistic fodder.

Even the history of 'In God We Trust' was added as a reaction against the godless communist state of the USSR. Putting God's name on our money was sacrilegious in my mind anyway. God doesn't want his name on our money. We don't trust God anyway as a nation, we trust the money.

Sidenote, I have no problem with the country reminding people of the atrocities that happen when you run an oppressive regime that denies religious freedom, and the freedom's we've fought to protect as Americans.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.