Science Friday. Trashy TV makes you dumb and gullible

1,280 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by amercer
amercer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So, I'm not putting this on the politics board because it's more interesting than that. Yes, the data can be used to argue about Trump, but the study is from Italy and what has been seen there is that it's not just one political party that benefits from this effect. Anyone who dumbs down their message and goes populist gets a bump.

Politics aside real data showing that bad TV makes you dumber has some big implications. Idiocracy here we come

Quote:

By 1990, 49 out of 50 Italians could watch Mediaset half of the country had gained access in just five years. These unusual events allowed a team of Italian economists to compare towns that initially had Mediaset with otherwise equivalent towns that didn't get reception until later, and thus calculate how a few extra years of lowbrow TV can shape a society's politics.

Quote:

On a battery of psychological and cognitive tests administered to military conscripts, young men from areas with more Mediaset exposure were between 8 percent and 25 percent more likely to earn the lowest scores. On an international test conducted in 2012, Italian adults from places where they first would have been exposed to Mediaset under age 10 had math and reading scores that were significantly worse than those of their peers. They were also less civically minded and less politically active.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2019/07/20/how-trashy-tv-made-children-dumber-enabled-wave-populist-leaders/?utm_term=.41f6435d0e63&wpisrc=nl_rainbow&wpmm=1
schmendeler
AG
yay...
Frok
AG
I don't really buy the correlation. How do you pinpoint the relation of TV vs internet and all other exposure to information? Kind of sounds like they had the conclusion in mind at the start of the study.
ramblin_ag02
AG
So Trump makes a trashy reality TV show. This makes people dumber and more likely to vote for populists. Then he runs as a populist and wins. Now that's 4D chess right there
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Woody2006
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

So Trump makes a trashy reality TV show. This makes people dumber and more likely to vote for populists. Then he runs as a populist and wins. Now that's 4D chess right there
You're fired

amercer
AG
Frok said:

I don't really buy the correlation. How do you pinpoint the relation of TV vs internet and all other exposure to information? Kind of sounds like they had the conclusion in mind at the start of the study.

Did you read the article? It's a pretty unique situation where they do have detailed data about when people were first exposed to this new lowbrow tv option. And this is pre internet in a country where I don't think there were a ton of tv options for tv.

I don't know if the methodology is perfect, but it seems about as good as you could ask for in a study like this.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.